So Conflicting EMG Exams on Referred condition... Reassure me please.

aliceaje

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ok, so did me PSO C&P this past Mon, and did my PHY C&P this morning. During this morning's exam, as she was going through the various statements by doctors, profiles, etc, she noted that a military doctor at BAMC gave me a EMG that came back normal, which contradicted my primary Neurologists' EMG that came back possitive for polyneuropathy. She said the BAMC doctor did not mention much of anything for the tremors in my hands and feet aswell, just claimed and "unspecified tremor, mild'
I am still being treated by my primary neurologist via beta blockers for tremors and monthly checkups. My primary neurologists are going off the first EMG. I'm stressed that the MEB would rule in favor of the Normal EMG rather than the first EMG losing access to medication and being monitored for progressiveness of this issue would be detrimental should it become worse in a few years.

Side Note- During my PSO with a psychiatrist c/p examiner, as I explained what I have felt with during my military career, bare in mind I had depression, anxiety, eating disorder, memory loss, and some other stuff I cant remember listed... anyhow, at the end of the exam, he said i qualify for something called Unspecified Traumatic Stress Disorder, and gave me his contact card if should need to be routed to civilian care, and gave me a couple of treatments to try. Can a C/P examiner diagnosed me with a new illness during the exam?

Side Side Note- If me Sleep Apnea profile (p2) directly interferes with my PMOS and is explicitly stated in the Commander's Letter, will it be rated as unfitting?

Did they tell you to stop meds prior to the second EMG? EMG is sensitive to many things.

No, I dont believe they did. It was a year ago, but the notes today didnt mention ceasing medication for the EMG.

So honestly sounds like that you have already provided the information need for them to move forward. Your condition is what you are being recommended for the MEB in the first place is it not. Don't get to caught up on what one doctor said verses another if you have not provided the evidence that supports your claim or referred condition that would be your fit step. If the MEB if they need more evidence they will schedule additional testing through the VA. Also if the physician you saw and your primary physician aren't in agreement then he can request a secondary review with the VA. As far as your pysch eval yes he can add to your claim you are seen by a licensed psychologist to determine your mental state and diagnosis you appropriately if they see fit. Though you will only be evaluated on your referred condition for fit/unfit condition you will be rated on additional claims for VA rating. Does that make sense?

A C&P examiner can diagnosis you differently. They are suppose to be independent; so a different diagnosis is not all that unusual. When it comes to MH diagnoses, compensation is based on occupational and social functioning - so the MH diagnosis rarely matters in the C&P process. The correct diagnosis always matter when it comes to proper treatment.

EMG studies are one of my favorite subjects. The machine gives specific reading. But the operator's placement/misplacement of electrodes and/or needles can greatly sway the test. Getting different results among different operators is not uncommon. Medicine is both art and science and the art of an EMG greatly sways the science. I'm surprised insurance companies are paying for these procedures given the lack of test/retest reliability experienced by patients.

Sleep apnea is rarely found unfitting.

Thank you everyone for the helpful information. I'm still a bit worried, and still waiting on the notes and narrative summary to happen, was told about 2 weeks after the tests finished. Do they considered all conditions when determining fit or unfit, rather than just the referred condition?

They are suppose to consider ALL conditions. In the resource tab of this website you will find your service's guidance on what is unfitting. If your service guidance says it is unfitting, but the IPEB does not find it unfitting you should consider getting counsel and appealing to the FPEB.

Am I allowed to post both EMGs here and tell me what you guys think and any discrepancies?

Posting the results of an EMG is permitted, but probably not helpful. I'm not aware of a single neurologist on the forum. If you post anything be sure you black out personal information.