So I sent a congressional inquiry to the BCNR.

Today I sent in a congressional inquiry through my state senator. It’s been over 13 months now and I am really curious and have a burning desire as to where I stand with my pending BCNR case. All I’ve gotten from them is an advisory opinion and a docket number. I know I’m not at the 18 month mark yet but I’m not that far off. I wish there was a more easier, expeditious and guaranteed way of getting a response. I’ve done the phone number and never get any response or even a option to leave a message because of the voicemail box being full. The email rarely gives an answer and most go unanswered. What’s the point in having the phone number and a email for the purpose of giving out applicants status updates and then not even bother to respond to it?

Hello AD1212,

Re: "What’s the point in having the phone number and a email for the purpose of giving out applicants status updates and then not even bother to respond to it? "

You have probably seen the following since you mentioned the "18 month mark":
"How long will it take to process my application?
It depends on a number of factors. BCNR reviews applications in the order in which they are received. Due to the large number of applications and the complexity of cases, it may be as long as 18 months before a board considers your case. BCNR processes over 14,000 applications annually and often must request records from the National Personnel Records Center prior to assigning a case to an examiner. Since BCNR is not an investigative agency, it also routinely requests advisory opinions from other Department of Navy offices prior to hearing a case. The delays associated with getting a case ready for a board can be lengthy depending on the workload of these outside offices and the complexity of the issues involved. Title 10, United States Code, Section 1557 requires BCNR to process cases in a timely manner. It is our mission to consider all applications as soon as possible."

Ideally, they would have a website where you could compare your case number with the number of cases still pending that have a lower number (i.e., received before your application).

What you can expect from the Congressional Inquiry: The BCNR will be contacted. Someone will be tasked to write a reply after determining where your case stands in the processing queue. The info will be provided to representative who received your request and then you will receive the results. The position of the case will not change; it will be processed in the order it was received.

I wish you the best of luck,

Ron

Hello AD1212,

Re: "What’s the point in having the phone number and a email for the purpose of giving out applicants status updates and then not even bother to respond to it? "

It depends on a number of factors. BCNR reviews applications in the order in which they are received. Due to the large number of applications and the complexity of cases, it may be as long as 18 months before a board considers your case. BCNR processes over 14,000 applications annually and often must request records from the National Personnel Records Center prior to assigning a case to an examiner. Since BCNR is not an investigative agency, it also routinely requests advisory opinions from other Department of Navy offices prior to hearing a case. The delays associated with getting a case ready for a board can be lengthy depending on the workload of these outside offices and the complexity of the issues involved. Title 10, United States Code, Section 1557 requires BCNR to process cases in a timely manner. It is our mission to consider all applications as soon as possible."

Ideally, they would have a website where you could compare your case number with the number of cases still pending that have a lower number (i.e., received before your application).

What you can expect from the Congressional Inquiry: The BCNR will be contacted. Someone will be tasked to write a reply after determining where your case stands in the processing queue. The info will be provided to representative who received your request and then you will receive the results. The position of the case will not change; it will be processed in the order it was received.

Ron
Thank you, as long as I know where I stand and point out to my senator that the BCNR is ignoring people that’ll be good enough for me. There’s no reason to deny anyone giving an update on any applicants case.

Hello AD1212,

Ron
Out of curiosity is there a way to sorta kinda tell where you are by your docket number? I submitted my paperwork in 2019 and the number is 2075.

So there is kinda a way to at least make an educated estimate on where you stand based on your docket number?
Hello,

Perhaps there are others who possess that information. That is the reason I suggested you visit with @chaplaincharlie .

There is a thread on this site entitled, "BCNR timeline after docket number received."
It is at BCNR timeline after docket number received <---LINK

One estimate that I noticed was to expect a wait of 2-3 years.

Good luck,
Ron

added:
BCNR FAQs Link <----

If you have already received an advisory opinion and responded to it or chose not to do so, then your case would be placed in the queue for adjudication. Congressional inquiries receive a form letter response and do not typically result in an expedited decision. Having represented clients in this venue to 25+ years, I will tell you that some cases take 2 years and some take six months. Reconsideration cases do move through the system faster, as do cases regarding personnel issues affecting promotion boards. If you received an advisory opinion, then you would have been provided with a point of contact at the bottom of that letter. That person should be your primary point of contact. When in doubt, e-mail Katie Saunders at [email protected] to ask which examiner is assigned to your case and his/her contact info. That will be more useful than Congressionals or other such efforts. Note- if the advisory opinion was favorable to your case, the Board tends to go along with it 3/4 of the time.

Last edited:
If you have already received an advisory opinion and responded to it or chose not to do so, then your case would be placed in the queue for adjudication. Congressional inquiries receive a form letter response and do not typically result in an expedited decision. Having represented clients in this venue to 25+ years, I will tell you that some cases take 2 years and some take six months. Reconsideration cases do move through the system faster, as do cases regarding personnel issues affecting promotion boards. If you received an advisory opinion, then you would have been provided with a point of contact at the bottom of that letter. That person should be your primary point of contact. When in doubt, e-mail Katie Saunders at [email protected] to ask which examiner is assigned to your case and his/her contact info. That will be more useful than Congressionals or other such efforts. Note- if the advisory opinion was favorable to your case, the Board tends to go along with it 3/4 of the time.
I mean for the most part the advisory opinion was favorable despite one little problem.

long story short and to not overload you with too much exposition and rhetoric. I was medically separated for being diagnosed by two doctors for adjustment personality disorder. The AO looked at my psych evaluation that I got when I saw a doctor outside of the navy that I currently no longer have any adjustment disorder or any mental disorders right now. According to my lawyer this is really good despite the other issue.

The issue is that they still deny the other doctors I saw while I was in the Navy that never diagnosed me with that or thought I ever had it. It seems unfair to say I had a mental disorder almost my entire life and then magically got over it like a sore throat not even one year being out of the Navy. According to the doctors I saw on the outside that’s not how it goes away. Other than that the AO at least recognizes that I am currently good to go back into the military if I chose to but they still seem to hold onto this notion that I had APD and now I don’t because time heals everything.

I would also like to say thank you for the email address. This will help me out greatly.

And, quick follow-up- if you have counsel for this matter, he or she should be able to reach out to the examiner for you.

And, quick follow-up- if you have counsel for this matter, he or she should be able to reach out to the examiner for you.
If she asks how I got this email. Would you be ok if I mention that I got it for you?

Of course, feel free. However, you may wish to have your attorney inquire, as it appears that you have one based upon one of your previous responses.