Social security and surviving spouse

Pavetim

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I ask here cause my dad was a vet but he recently passed away a few weeks ago and was wondering can my mother (surviving spouse) get his social security? they told her no but i'm not sure if that's right.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
It depends on whether your mother meets the age requirement. If for example, she is 45 years of age and her spouse died, she would not be eligible for Social Security based on his earning.

If she meets the age requirement, she would be “covered under the Social Security Survivor's Insurance program. And this being Social Security, there are the usual array of odd rules that determine how big a benefit you will receive.
If you have already reached full retirement age (somewhere between 65 and 67 based on your date of birth; if you aren't sure, check your latest Social Security annual statement), you're entitled to 100% of your deceased spouse's benefit.
If you're at least 60 but not yet at Social Security's definition of "full retirement age," your payout will be somewhere in the range of 71% to 99% of your deceased spouse's full benefit. Note that a widow or widower of any age with a child under age 16 is entitled to a 75% payout.” What's the best age to start collecting Social Security? <—-LINK

From Social Security Administration:
“The earliest a widow or widower can start receiving Social Security survivors benefits based on age will remain at age 60.
Widows or widowers benefits based on age can start any time between age 60 and full retirement age as a survivor. If the benefits start at an earlier age, they are reduced a fraction of a percent for each month before full retirement age.
If a person receives widow's or widower's benefits, and will qualify for a retirement benefit that's more than their survivors benefit, they can switch to their own retirement benefit as early as age 62 or as late as age 70. The rules are complicated and vary depending on the situation. Talk to a Social Security representative about the options available.”
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/survivorchartred.html <——LINK

Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
She is 66 and my father was 66 when he passed.
Then it appears she is eligible.

However, she would not receive her SS plus his SS.

Her social security payment (if she is receiving SS) might be increased due to the basis being his earnings.

Recommend you visit with a SS office.

SS = Social Security in the context used here.

Ron

Pavetim

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I guess her insurance guy told here she can't get his SS cause she makes over 17K per year. She isn't on SS, she is still working right now should retire next year. yeah I don't have too much confidence in SS. My dad had to retire couple years early cause he had surgery for brain cancer and they fought him hard on it.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I am sorry for your loss.

I began receiving social security (for age) 12 years ago when I was 62. I am happy with what I receive.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">