Social Security and Voc Rehab

I'm still on Active duty but being medically retired officially on 31 AUGUST 2020. I plan on using VocRehab so that I can receive BAH. My plans are to also apply for social security once I'm out and officially medically retired. My question is this. Does anyone know if attending school affect your possibility of being approved for social security? Please help

It will effect SSDI indirectly. SSDI, in part, depends on ADL (activities of daily living). So the more ADL you can do by yourself, the less likely your approval rate becomes. I suggest you apply now. SSDI will not pay for 5 months after your apply. So the sooner you apply, the sooner your first check comes, if approved. You can apply while on AD and you can be approved while on AD.

It will effect SSDI indirectly. SSDI, in part, depends on ADL (activities of daily living). So the more ADL you can do by yourself, the less likely your approval rate becomes. I suggest you apply now. SSDI will not pay for 5 months after your apply. So the sooner you apply, the sooner your first check comes, if approved. You can apply while on AD and you can be approved while on AD.

If he gets approved for SSD first and then applies for VOC-REHAB and is approved would that negate from his SSD payments?
A couple of hypotheticals but potentially relevant to many.

Thank you,
Leo

If he gets approved for SSD first and then applies for VOC-REHAB and is approved would that negate from his SSD payments?
A couple of hypotheticals but potentially relevant to many.

Thank you,
Leo
I don't know.

SSDI will flat out ask you if you are attending school if yes that means you are attempting to be employable and your application will most likely be denied. Even after you are approved you are required to inform them if you start school or get a job. Read the AG reports it's sad but vets are the worst for getting crushed (felony fraud) by the SSA for lying to them and rightly so.

I am sure. There is no reason to lie if you have legitimate issues and cannot be employed. And if one gets approved for Voc-Rehab be 100% transparent with SSA about why you are attending school and what your desired endstate will be. Bottom line never lie and cause your integrity to be questioned. Those who lie to obtain benefits screw the pooch for everyone else and make those who are legitimate endure a greater deal of scrutiny.

Understood. But does attending online mean anything? like most of many, I'm being medically retired for a mental disorder( PTSD). Being able to go to school online from a safe environment as apposed to being able to attend in class should mean something right? Maybe not...

No it doesn't mean anything the issue here is that you are going to an accredited post-secondary institution to become employable. SSDI is granted when its almost definite that you will not become employable for at least 12 months, realistically they don't like to approve applications unless its nearly permanent unemployability.

I’m kind of wondering something similar. I have 70% rating PTSD. I am struggling a bit financially and started a part time job as a cashier at a store just working a few hours a week. Not by choice but because I had to do something so I can make ends meet. It is not a hard job, but it can be stressful sometimes to where I will have a panic attack and have to run outside and sit in my car or take longer breaks. My company is aware of mental health issues. Will me working jeopardize my VA rating?

I’m kind of wondering something similar. I have 70% rating PTSD. I am struggling a bit financially and started a part time job as a cashier at a store just working a few hours a week. Not by choice but because I had to do something so I can make ends meet. It is not a hard job, but it can be stressful sometimes to where I will have a panic attack and have to run outside and sit in my car or take longer breaks. My company is aware of mental health issues. Will me working jeopardize my VA rating?

Just apply for TDIU

TDIU can be P&T and yes you qualify I recommend talking to a VSO to properly submit the claim.