SSDI application sent to State of Texas Disability Determination for Social Security Administration- Third Party Functional Report

LAB1982

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello forum,

Thanks for all the information I have received in navigating my PEB process. I am coming to the end of my board and have received an EAS date of 30 October. My husband and I are moving to Texas and I just recently submitted my SSDI claim after receiving a 70% DOD/100% P&T from the board. I am still unable to work due to continuing, severe MH symptoms. Tonight I received a letter from the Social Security Administration that they have forwarded my disability claim to the State of Texas Disability Determination Agency for development and decision. This agency is asking me to have an Adult Function Report- Third Party completed and returned to them. It is about 10 pages long and is not supposed to be completed by one of my mental health providers. I have not heard of this as a part of the SSDI evaluation and am not sure who to have fill it out. I am not sure if anyone has experienced this before, but is there anyone out there that has seen this before and has any advise? Thanks for your help.

The report is filled out by the party to whom it is address. In my case I got one and my wife got one on me. Both reports should say basically the same things, but each person should complete their own form in the their own words, It is SOP.

Chaplain Charlie is correct, you fill it out. Hurry up because you typically have a time limit of ten days to submit.

kind of a parallel question but was wondering your thoughts, Tony, as a service member that has been through the SSDI process. What was your process and timeline with that. I was told to expect denial on the first application as I am not a terminally ill patient. Is this a true statement? Do you have any additional guidance for someone entering this process. I would like to make the best case possible to avoid having to relive my symptoms, shortfalls and struggles time and time again. It has been such a long haul of feeling exposed to strangers and trying to justify how much I am struggling. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

My timeline was quick. I applied and specified I was a wounded warrior and then a few weeks later got the forms I mailed The mail filled them out and returned them. Then a few weeks after that someone from Idaho Disability determinations called and discussed my case. She stated that for my case to move forward I would have to see a neurologist of their choosing. So I waited and a month or so later got that appointment and then waited some more and got another call from DDS. They said that they were finishing it up. I eventually got a call from my lawyer who said I had been approved but not for any backpay. He recommended not appealing for backpay because it would go to an ALJ and they almost always deny and can even reverse the determination made by DDS.

All in all my case took around 4-5 months. I believe mine as approved simply due to their neurologist report combined with my condition meeting the blue book listing 11.12 for Myasthenia Gravis.

I would recommend looking up your condition in the SSDI blue book. Also get a good SSDI lawyer. They don’t get paid unless they win your case, so no money out of pocket to apply through a lawyer.

If your primary disability is MH most have to go before a judge you can sometimes determine how tough DDS adjudicator's are by looking at your ALJ court time line anything 18-24 months for a hearing means they are typically tougher on granting claims. To your advantage only 30% of 100% rated vets get denied according to the SSA.