Student Loan Repayment Programs and the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill

I guess resurrecting this thread now.

But I signed up for the SLRP in may of 2009 I was medically retired in Feb of 2011 with 80% rating from the VA and 50% from the DOD. I did not receive a SLRP payment towards my loans and have paid off my loans on my own.

Am I eligible for post/911? Can I transfer the benefits to my wife?

Thank you

Here are the details regarding Post 9/11 from the VA.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_gibill.asp

You should be able to see your eligibility on eBenefits.

I guess. I'm out of luck. The GI Bill was disallowed for me. I signed up under the SLRP and didn't complete my initial 3 year obligation before I was medically retired.

So what is the current law on this in relation to early separation before the 3 years mark, SLRP, and Post 9/11. I am currently dealing with this issue. Any current info would be great!

@gsfowler , do you happen to know what the current law on this in relation to early separation before the 3 years mark, SLRP, and Post 9/11. I am currently dealing with this issue. Any current info would be great!

@gsfowler , do you happen to know what the current law on this in relation to early separation before the 3 years mark, SLRP, and Post 9/11. I am currently dealing with this issue. Any current info would be great!

SLRP should be no recoup, I was able to use it in full prior to discharge.

In my own circumstance, I had 20K SLRP and waited until I was entered into the MEB to use it. I submitted all of my loans and they were paid with one check. It was not the greatest idea because the $19K they paid was taxable income that year.

Once you are discharged, SLRP goes away. It is not a benefit that was intended to be had when not under contract.

If you are on active duty at the time of separation (your DD-214 shows medical discharge) you will get the full post 9/11 GI Bill. If you do not have a DD-214 that shows a medical discharge, then you get the Post 9/11 based upon your years of active service. This is mostly an issue with reservists who have served less than 6 years.

@gsfowler

"If you are on active duty at the time of separation (your DD-214 shows medical discharge) you will get the full post 9/11 GI Bill. If you do not have a DD-214 that shows a medical discharge, then you get the Post 9/11 based upon your years of active service. This is mostly an issue with reservists who have served less than 6 years."

What if you had the student loan repayment program, but were severed prior to completing your contract i.e 2 years?

Would you still be entitled to the entirety of the SLRP benefit since you were involuntarily separated?

Would you still be eligible for 100% of your Post 9/11 GI-Bill since technically the SLRP and being guaranteed the Post-9/11 by a medical separation are two different things. I understand that if someone had the SLRP and was not medically separated, then they were have to fulfill their 3 years before they could start accumulating the Post-9/11. But it seems the the circumstances would be different for those who had SLRP and were medically separated prior to be able to fulfill extra time to accrue the Post-9/11, as I was not given the chance to do so. This is the battle I am currently fighting with the VA. Any advisement would be appreciated as I have exhausted myself and my resources.

Your SLRP is gone. It is a benefit that you use while on active duty or while on reserve status (under contract). Once the contract is terminated, so is the SLRP.

SLRP and Post 9/11 have nothing to do with each other. They are mutually exclusive.

Post 9/11 will not pay student loan debt. If you are 100% disabled, you can get your student loan debt forgiven. If you are short of cash, you can do the income driven repayment program on your student loan debt and get it lowered.

As long as your DD-214 shows that you were medically retired or given a medical severance, you should qualify for Post 9/11 Gi Bill. Your DD-214 must be for more than 30 days of continuous service.

You may be screwed on getting Post 9/11 GI benefits because the first three years of your contract under SLRP do not count as time towards the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Read page 469 of this document: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/pages-nrc-links/DOCUMENTS/loan-repayment-forms/Navy Student Loan Repayment Policy from COMNAVCRUITCOM 1130.8K.pdf

The problem with that what is on page 469 is:

A. It is not in an original enlistment contract with SLRP as an incentive
B. Does not account for involuntary medical separation
C. Does not actually match what the law says

(b) Serves a minimum of 30 continuous days and, after completion of such service, is discharged under other than dishonorable conditions due to a service-connected disability; or

(c)

(1) After meeting the minimum service requirements in paragraph (a) or (b) of this section -

(i) An individual makes an irrevocable election to receive benefits under 38 U.S.C. chapter 33 by relinquishing eligibility under either 38 U.S.C. chapter 30, or 10 U.S.C. chapter 106a, 1606, or 1607;

(ii) A member of the Armed Forces who is eligible for educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. chapter 30 and who is making contributions towards such educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. 3011(b) or 3012(c) makes an irrevocable election to receive benefits under 38 U.S.C. chapter 33; or

(iii) A member of the Armed Forces who made an election not to receive educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. chapter 30 in accordance with 38 U.S.C. 3011(c)(1) or 3012(d)(1) makes an irrevocable election to receive benefits under 38 U.S.C. chapter 33.

(2) An individual may make an irrevocable election to receive benefits under this chapter by properly completing VA Form 22-1990, submitting a transfer-of-entitlement designation under this chapter to the Department of Defense, or submitting a written statement that includes the following -

(i) Identification information (including name, social security number, and address);

(ii) If applicable, an election to receive benefits under chapter 33 in lieu of benefits under one of the applicable chapters listed in paragraph (c)(1)(i) of this section (e.g., “I elect to receive benefits under the Post-9/11-GI Bill in lieu of benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (chapter 30) program.”);

(iii) The date the individual wants the election to be effective (e.g., “I want this election to take effect on August 1, 2009.”). An election request for an effective date prior to August 1, 2009, will automatically be effective August 1, 2009; and

(iv) An acknowledgement that the election is irrevocable (e.g., “I understand that my election is irrevocable and may not be changed.”).

There is no contingency in there about not being able to use the Post 9/11 even though I had the SLRP. So as long as I had 30 days, it should no matter, correct? These benefits are mutually exclusive, as one is an active duty and one is a VA benefit. Am I tracking that correctly?

Have you a). heard of people having this issue with the VA/DOD before b). have any idea how to fix it? I have hit a wall. All I trying to do is get my Chapter 33 BAH while I use Voc Rehab for school.

This is the issue...

If you served for less than 3 years on the SLRP contract, the time does not count towards the 30 days of continuous service for Post 9/11 GI Bill.

"Service commitments for LRP participants do not count as qualifying service for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Qualifying service will start after completion of three years of service"

Here is the Statement of Understanding for the Loan Repayment Program: https://navalforms.documentservices.dla.mil/formsDir/_NAVCRUIT_1133_75_3626.pdf

Did you sign this document? Look at paragraph 1. c.)

Understood on that--yes I did. However, like you said before the Post 9/11 due to medical severance and the SLRP at mutually exclusive. It's not as if that 30 days wasn't met 20 times over; the DD214 still says servicemember has X number of days. 1(C) is a directive for those who have the SLRP and are not severed for a medical reason. The Post 9/11 for medical severance is due to a rating + 30 days of active duty, right? I don't see how 1(C) would necessarily disqualify someone from receiving both in the instance of a medical sep.

Plus, Post 9/11 a VA benefit, not DOD. Both of those government entities are bound by the law, as stated above. The Navy can put whatever it would like in that contract, that doesn't necessarily make it lawful + should have no bearing on a VA benefit, right?

I am trying to find out how to get my last SLRP payment paid out. My unit does not exist any longer and I have been out for awhile.