Sudden MEB for long standing issues

serialcrusher

Registered Member
I'm about to undertake my 3 MEB. I've already gone through one for sleep apnea and returned to duty. I went through one for depression/anxiety and was returned to duty.

I have never been able to get the CPAP machine to work for me. Despite weeks of trying and multiple sleep studies. They could never get it adjust where my sleep is not completely disrupted. I've had the machine for about 5 years now.

Additionally, I've been on a profile for my knees and shoulder for around 3 years. I brought up an MEB for them several times and was always told 'As long as you can complete the components for your PT test and its not interfering with your job you won't be MEBed for it'

I went to a RILO appointment last week and suddenly they are talking about MEB for conditions that are under control.

I'm trying to understand what is going on here with the sudden change in procedure from if it doesn't affect yoru ability to do your job to you have to be MEBed for it because you've been on a profile for it for a while.

It is my understanding that I would have to be on a profile for a year and it would be a mandatory profile. Well I've been on the same profile for close to 3 years. Essentially I have arthritis in my should and knees. I havn't failed my PT test in almost 6 years.

None of the 4 doctors I've had ever said anything other than 'If it doesn't affect yoru ability to do your job you won't be MEBed for it.'

Its particularly stressful because I finally have orders after being here since 2009. THe last time I had orders I was magically MEBed as well and that got them canceled.

emma

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
"None of the 4 doctors I've had ever said anything other than 'If it doesn't affect yoru ability to do your job you won't be MEBed for it.' "

After just going through a med board, a lot is left up to interpretation, and a lot of interpretations are wrong. Unfortunately, these misinterpretations often result in a disservice to the member. You can be med boarded and they can find you unfit. I've gone through something similar and have fought the IPEB unfit results and was still found unfit after going to the FPEB. The board does not play around. If you want to stay in, start working on covering all of your bases NOW. Prep for the PT test (do all the components you can possibly do), deployment requirements, etc., and get it documented by witnesses. Also note, the process of med boarding is REALLY QUICK now. It's no longer taking years, but instead months.

denmom117

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Also note, the process of med boarding is REALLY QUICK now. It's no longer taking years, but instead months.
Just wanted to say that the timeline of MEBs still varies from case to case as well as what each person wants/deserves/expects from their outcome.

Mine started 27 months ago. Everything moved quickly up until I received my Formal Board results, that was 20 months ago.

mxridr

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Do any of your conditions have you coded? Such as inability to deploy.
I'm curious about this also. I've been sitting on the same profile for about 4.5 years now. They started to MEB me last year but never left the flight doctors office cause the one doctor said I can deploy and do my job but they refuse to code me how even though they say I can't deploy to all locations.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">