brystonschafer

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hope I am posting to the right forum section. Thanks for all the advice & tips in advance.

I am currently rated at 70% VA & 30% DoD PDRL.

Effective 13-May-2019 I will separate from the Army & Effective 14-May-2019 I will be placed on the PDRL. I will begin my transition leave starting 23-April-2019 through 13-May-2019.

Today, 28-March-2019, I had a follow up appointment with the Sleep Disorder Clinic. I have already been previously diagnosed by the Army/VA for severe Insomnia. I received a rating of 30% for that alone. The Colonel who saw me today informed me that my Sleep Study results showed that I had 247 instances of hypoxia. I was told that my Sleep Apnea score was 49.9. I fall into the Severe category for Sleep Apnea. My wife & I were truly stunned about hearing all of this. I am now awaiting a Civilian Sleep Disorder Clinic to schedule me to come in and receive an APAP machine (newer technology of the CPAP machine).

My biggest concern right now is filing a Supplemental Claim with the VA since my MEDB process is finalized. When should/can I begin the process to file the supplemental claim for the Severe Sleep Apnea? Is this usually a lengthy/difficult process? In y’alls honest opinion, is there a possibility that my VA rating of 70% could jump up to 80-100%?

Again, thank you for any and all help. The PEB Forum has been a God send since I started my MEDB process back in late October. I hope this thread will be able to assist others in the same boat as me.

Absolutely, @brystonschafer.

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960L-2-ARE.pd

A recommendation: Study the VASRD for your condition (sleep apnea, insomnia, chronic sleep impairment or any other ill-effect), and understand how your symptoms translate to VA language. Have your treating physician fill this out, but also study it, understand it, and know it. Request an increase (file a claim) with the VA. Provide all new and updated medical evidence. Knowledge is power.

All the best to you.

Many civilian docs refused to fill out those DBQ's I got around this by ensuring my Primary Provider was a vet or retired vet yea I had to drive a bit longer away but it was worth it. With Supplemental Claims not only do you want to add the evidence that the Colonel reported but whatever happens at the civilian clinic as well make sure you have everything ready BEFORE you file supplemental otherwise they will admin deny claiming no new and relevant evidence. You have one year from the date of the rating decision to do so and it will be backdated.

Many civilian docs refused to fill out those DBQ's I got around this by ensuring my Primary Provider was a vet or retired vet yea I had to drive a bit longer away but it was worth it. With Supplemental Claims not only do you want to add the evidence that the Colonel reported but whatever happens at the civilian clinic as well make sure you have everything ready BEFORE you file supplemental otherwise they will admin deny claiming no new and relevant evidence. You have one year from the date of the rating decision to do so and it will be backdated.

I can see how a PCP being a veteran would help a lot. I've found in the past, that when relaying symptoms for the record, a lot of what I would say wouldn't get written down into the clinical summary properly. A veteran doctor would most likely be able to ascertain this information and put it in the record more adequately.

And to add to the point @oddpedestrian made, most doctors, physicians/clinicians and psychiatrist's are either VERY unfamiliar with DBQ's, or are VERY uncomfortable with filling them out. I can not stress enough the disservice this does to a veteran. I have been through years of appeals with the VA because of "unchecked boxes" or the DBQ not being filled out correctly by the VA examiners themselves!

I would implore any veteran to push and stress the importance of the DBQ to their respective doctors. The weight a properly filled out DBQ carries is immeasurable, and will allow for a proper assigning of a just and fair rating.

@PEBMember2017

Do you know how many groups I have been blocked from for making those same exact statements? It's much worse than what people are lead to believe I went through some horrific experiences I took all the way up to the OGC and couldn't believe the excuses they made as well. That's when I was convinced it's systemic AND corrupt but since most people get claims in favorable with no issues I try not to sound like Debbie downer....everything I got was a brutal fight. Watch this SS video from Ginsburg he nails what's really going on with VA doc records and he has no personal relationship with the VA.

View: https://youtu.be/fJkR5-IPIKE