"Surprise" MEB Question

Have an unusual situation here...

I have had various ongoing medical issues for a few years now, was sent to MMRB & retained (reclassed). Afterwards my conditions "stabilized" and I continued to serve...didnt like my new MOS...and eventually I decided I wanted to ETS (regular ETS) this year and started the process to get out.

I have already entered the BDD program for the VA, had my C&Ps and am supposed to start clearing in two weeks. However, I started feeling ill and had my labs checked. Turns out one of my "stable" conditions has (potentially) gotten much worse. I am having these labs re-done tomorrow to confirm the results and then will "probably" be sent into the MEB process. This prompts me to ask several questions:

1. Can I be forced into the MEB process? (Although I think it would be a beneficial to me & allow me to get evaluated/treated further)
2. What happens to my (already filed) VA claim and C&P exams?
3. What would happen to my ETS date (1 November)? Will HRC "extend me"?
4. Will the MEB process go faster since I have already had phase I/phase II and C&P exams?
5. Looking through my C&P exams, I anticipate a 20%, 10%, 10%, 10%; would these same ratings be used in my MEB?

Thanks in advance, my wife and I have alot of questions right now as this is completely unexpected.

1. Can I be forced into the MEB process? (Although I think it would be a beneficial to me & allow me to get evaluated/treated further)
Yes, you can be "forced" into process- it is not something that anyone "agrees" to. However, you can opt to not be extended on active duty if you prefer not to be.

As for the claims, it depends if you actually separate within the time frame for the program. If not, they "close" the case until you do separate and then re-open it.
Yes, if you are found to need an MEB.
4. Will the MEB process go faster since I have already had phase I/phase II and C&P exams?
Unsure. Sometimes the various players do not "talk" with each other. For example, your claims are now with whatever regional office. IDES cases may be handled by a different regional office. So, it is possible that if you go to MEB/PEB, the "new" VA office may not even be aware of the current exams in place. Seems likely to me that they would need updated information in any event.

Hope all goes well for you healthwise and also with MEB/PEB/IDES.

Jason,

Thanks for the information. My BDD claim is still here on post as I was told it will not become "official" until the day after I ETS. Of course, this is all contingent on me entering the MEB process in the first place. Will hopefully know something this week (MEB or no MEB) as I am scheduled to start clearing week after next.

According to my (amateur) interpretation of the standards of medical fitness I only have 1 "unfit" condition which will likely rate at 20% (per the VA schedule). I also have multiple (NON-"unfit") additional conditions which (when I read my C&Ps) will likely rate as 10% by the VA.

I found the text below on the Army HRC website...

"The Army only rates those medical conditions that result in the Soldier being determined unfit for continued military service.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) rates a Soldier for all conditions incurred in or aggravated by military service.
Therefore, it is not uncommon for a former Soldier to receive a higher combined disability rating from the VA than the PEB combined disability rating."

It sounds like the MEB/PEB would only rate me on my "unfit" condition and leave the "fit" conditions to the VA. Is this correct? I believe I would need a PEB rating of 30% for a TRDL/PRDL retirement. Is this correct?

30% or higher is needed for TDRL/PDRL.
The VA will rate all fit and unfit; anything service connected.
The PEB will only rate conditions that are determined "unfit". You could be found unfit for more than one condition if you can show each are cause for an "unfit" finding.
Your BDD claims are good for a period of 12 months(last I checked). If you were to be separated 12+ months after the C&P exams took place, you would most likely have to redo some or all again.

Alright, well its been a few months and thought I would update with answers to my own questions...maybe they will help somebody else out.

1. "Can I be forced into the MEB process?" It was up to me whether to ETS or wait for an MEB, if I had done nothing I would have exited the Army as planned.

2. "What happens to my (already filed) VA claim and C&P exams?" My previously filed "BDD" claim was closed and a new claim opened. My old C&P exams were thrown out and I had to repeat them all as (per the VA rep) the templates used for BDD (DBQs?) are different than the templates used for IDES.

3. What would happen to my ETS date (1 November)? Will HRC "extend me"? I did receive an extension from HRC (just in time). I filed the appropriate paperwork to "extend" on the same day that I found out I would go to MEB and it still came down to the wire. It took great efforts by my PEBLO, the ombudsman, and my chain of command and I still barely got it fixed before my previous ETS date. The ombudsman was great and really made things happen...she was able to obtain a memo from the surgeon general of the Army's office "just in case" granting an extension in case HRC screwed something up.

4. Will the MEB process go faster since I have already had phase I/phase II and C&P exams? No. As previously discussed my 1st set of C&Ps were thrown out and I had to repeat.

Finally I will say I suffered a major setback in October and my health situation is extremely poor at this time. My PEBLO and NCM have been 100% awesome in wrestling the powers that be on my behalf and leaving me to focus on getting better. Just wanted to through that out there that there are some great PEBLOs and NCMs that really care...I'm thankful that I got lucky.

Still waiting on ratings/orders but it shouldn't be too long now.

Alright, well its been a few months and thought I would update with answers to my own questions...maybe they will help somebody else out.

1. "Can I be forced into the MEB process?" It was up to me whether to ETS or wait for an MEB, if I had done nothing I would have exited the Army as planned.

2. "What happens to my (already filed) VA claim and C&P exams?" My previously filed "BDD" claim was closed and a new claim opened. My old C&P exams were thrown out and I had to repeat them all as (per the VA rep) the templates used for BDD (DBQs?) are different than the templates used for IDES.

3. What would happen to my ETS date (1 November)? Will HRC "extend me"? I did receive an extension from HRC (just in time). I filed the appropriate paperwork to "extend" on the same day that I found out I would go to MEB and it still came down to the wire. It took great efforts by my PEBLO, the ombudsman, and my chain of command and I still barely got it fixed before my previous ETS date. The ombudsman was great and really made things happen...she was able to obtain a memo from the surgeon general of the Army's office "just in case" granting an extension in case HRC screwed something up.

4. Will the MEB process go faster since I have already had phase I/phase II and C&P exams? No. As previously discussed my 1st set of C&Ps were thrown out and I had to repeat.

Finally I will say I suffered a major setback in October and my health situation is extremely poor at this time. My PEBLO and NCM have been 100% awesome in wrestling the powers that be on my behalf and leaving me to focus on getting better. Just wanted to through that out there that there are some great PEBLOs and NCMs that really care...I'm thankful that I got lucky.

Still waiting on ratings/orders but it shouldn't be too long now.
I really needed this information as I'm going through the same thing right now. Thanks.