SVT & sinus pause

Atl2510

Registered Member
Hello, I'm a SGT in the Army and have been in for over 5 years, I recently was referred to a civilian cardiologist for a stress test, echo, and 48 hour holter test. While my stress test and echo came back fairly normal the holter recorded a sinus pause of 3 seconds and 3 runs of super ventricular tachycardia. I am now wearing an event holter for a month and will be going on beta blockers possibly, my CO is starting the MEB process now. I have been feeling very faint lately almost to the point of blacking out while performing just a few simple exercises, and with only a year left on my contract I'm concerned that down the road I may have to pay hefty insurance co pays for a pacemaker or other kind of treatment if I do t receive a descent rating. As a Military Police Soldier I had ambitions of civilian law enforcement one day but from what I've read I would most likely never be hired now with documented heart issues, what that have an effect on my ratings? Thanks!

Hello, I'm a SGT in the Army and have been in for over 5 years, I recently was referred to a civilian cardiologist for a stress test, echo, and 48 hour holter test. While my stress test and echo came back fairly normal the holter recorded a sinus pause of 3 seconds and 3 runs of super ventricular tachycardia. I am now wearing an event holter for a month and will be going on beta blockers possibly, my CO is starting the MEB process now. I have been feeling very faint lately almost to the point of blacking out while performing just a few simple exercises, and with only a year left on my contract I'm concerned that down the road I may have to pay hefty insurance co pays for a pacemaker or other kind of treatment if I do t receive a descent rating. As a Military Police Soldier I had ambitions of civilian law enforcement one day but from what I've read I would most likely never be hired now with documented heart issues, what that have an effect on my ratings? Thanks!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, it saddens me to hear about your current medical conditions to include its potential affect on future pin-pointed civlian employment at this point in time!

Well, despite the advances in modern medicine and the best efforts of patients, some military service members cannot be returned to a full-duty status. In this event, it will be necessary for the military service member to be referred to the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES).

As such, the IDES process begins whenever a military service member's medical providers determine that the military service member's ability to continue military service is questionable due to a physical or mental impairment.

Moreover, it is important to remember that the DoD IDES process is a performance-based system. Simply because a military service member has a medical condition does not mean that the military service member cannot continue to serve on active duty or in the reserve component/national guard. It is the impact of the medical condition(s) upon the military service member ability to perform duties appropriate to his or her rank and job skill that is important.

To that extent, a military service member with a serious medical condition can be found fit when the evidence establishes that the military service member can perform his or her duties. The mere fact that one or more medical conditions exist does not constitute an unfit determination. Also, for example, the inability to deploy to austere environments is only one factor in determining unfitness.

As far as any potential proposed ratings determined by the DoVA D-RAS, it dependant upon the available medical evidence and its documented symptomatology for each medical condition. In specific reference to your SVT & sinus pause medical condition, there doesn't exist enough information listed here to yield any potential DoVA proposed rating at this time.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

image.jpg Here is my last holter results, my doctor is really trying to downplay it by saying " your young" even though I complain of symptoms.

View attachment 1272 Here is my last holter results, my doctor is really trying to downplay it by saying " your young" even though I complain of symptoms.

Hmm, it may be in your best interest to obtain a second opinion if you don't feel comfortable with the civilian cardiologist examination results albeit there shall at least be a DoVA C&P Examination for cardiology because of your heart medical condition.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!