TBI/Migraine and more

bwbarracuda

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm currently going through the Med Board/PEB process, and I was looking for some insight from people who might have had, or still have, a similar condition, or from people who just know a lot more about this than I do.

I was hit in the head nearly two years ago (non-combat related) and suffered a TBI and concussion from the incident. A few weeks later, I started to get migraines accompanied by numbness and tingling in my limbs. The doctor I was seeing sent me to a neurologist, who officially diagnosed the condition as migraines, and began trying to make them bearable for me. As the months went on, I tried a few different medications, but nothing seemed to help, and the migraines continued to get worse/more frequent. About two months after I started experiencing the migraines, I started to have occasional panic attacks as well.

Eventually I started seeing a different neurologist who tried botox injections (which also didn't help) and different medications which helped the migraines to be bearable, but not eliminate them. I also started seeing a mental health professional who also prescribed me medication to help with the anxiety, but did not eliminate the condition entirely either. This is my current condition, getting low-grade migraines daily with debilitating migraines once or twice a week accompanied by a Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

My claim was sent off with TBI, Migraines, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder listed as the main claims and Tinnitus, and low back condition as secondary claims. I've done all of my C&P evaluations, although I haven't seen the results, and the PEB came back wanting more evidence of the anxiety, which came back inconclusive. At this point, I'm still waiting to hear anything back, and I would just like to hear some educated opinions on what my findings might be (fit/unfit, VA and DoD ratings).

Thank you all in advance for any insight or advice you might provide me.

EOD08

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have TBI, Migraines, low back pain and shoulder issues. I just completed my last C&P on April 9th and I'm still waiting on the results and NARSUM. I'll let you know if I hear anything. I'm on nortriptoline(sp?) and I take it everyday. It has reduced the lower level headaches but I still get boomers weekly. Minus the review from MH your case is moving right along it seems.

bwbarracuda

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks EOD. I'll put more information in here as well as I get it. I'm currently taking Topamax twice a day for the migraines which reduces the intensity. I'm also taking Lexapro every day for anxiety and Amitryptaline everyday for anxiety/sleep.

bwbarracuda

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So, I'm wondering if anyone here has any insight into what might be taking so long for my packet. It was sent to the PEB about 6 weeks ago, and I haven't even received the fit/unfit determination yet. I talked to my PEBLO today, and he said that at our MTF here, they usually receive that within a week of sending off the results/NARSUM, so I'm wondering what might be delaying mine so much. Any insight or advice on how to get more information or speed things up would be greatly appreciated.

EOD08

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My PEBLO said the same thing...some PEB's coming back within a week sometimes. Mine has been out for almost a month with no word. I've noticed other folks claiming TBI that it is taking longer. My hope is that they are looking at ours longer because of the injury and that it's not so black and white. My IDES dashboard stopped working too so I'm a little nervous about that as well.

Here's to hoping.....

bwbarracuda

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My IDES dashboard stopped working too. I'm glad to know that it's not just me waiting longer. I hope that we'll both hear something soon. Good luck!

bwbarracuda

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Finally, just over two months later, I finally got my preliminary determination from the PEB. So far, all I have is a finding of UNFIT, and I'll have to wait some more for everything else, but it's good to see some progress in my case again!

EOD08

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good deal, I'm still waiting on my end. It must be because we have TBI. I see and hear so many people getting an unfit/fit memo back from the PEB in a few weeks...you start to wonder when it will come though. Good deal again! Did you have any other unfit items? I had 3 conditions that did not meet retention standards; we'll see if all 3 receive unfit.

bwbarracuda

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I had a couple of unfit items. TBI was my main claim, but I had migraines and Generalized Anxiety Disorder as well. It didn't break down the findings for me though. Hopefully you will be hearing something soon.

EOD08

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
TBI was my main item too. For unfitting I have left shoulder degenerative arthritis and left elbow cubital tunnel syndrome. I'm trying to add degenerative disk disease but we'll see how it goes.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It is tough (and much tougher when you are going through it), but, wait times are notoriously variable. A big part of that is the variability of the conditions and the differing quality of the packets and evidence that they contain. If the MEB, the Commander's statement, NARSUM, medical records or VA exams are either poorly written, fail to address items adequately, if the case is complicated, or if the PEB staff is working on a backlog, it may take a lot more time to for a decision than it would in a clear cut case with only one condition.

How long is a piece of string?

I don't disagree with looking at what others are getting for turnaround times for a decision. But, I really think it is only somewhat useful. Sometimes, it can cause more stress than it's worth.

bwbarracuda

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks for the words of wisdom Jason. It is hard to wait for sure, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I received my ratings today, and they are good, so I plan to accept in the next few days. I was hoping that you could shed some light on what to expect at this point though. My PEBLO was telling me a lot of different things and it was hard for me to remember all of it. I have already been through the T-GPS class, and I already have my separation physical scheduled, so I think I have a pretty good start on things. At this point, I'm trying to determine a date for when to leave. I know that I have up to 90 days, but can I choose any day within that 90 days?

Thank you for all the help!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">