TDIU with DOD retirement

kb1991

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Question, if I were to get a rating of day 75% DOD and 90% VA but I didn't work and filed SSDI and got it and didn't have a job, can I file TDIU and get 100% VA for converting my DOD over or do I still have the limitation of only being able to convert to the 90%?

Also, with TDIU do I get the same benefits like 100% P&T like education benefits for my dependants ect?

No, if you believe you are entitled to TDIU you have to open a claim and apply the VA will probably schedule an exam to determine your ability to work. Social security has their own guidelines on determining if you are totally disabled or not none of these agencies decisions guarantee what a different agency will decide on your claims.

No, if you believe you are entitled to TDIU you have to open a claim and apply the VA will probably schedule an exam to determine your ability to work. Social security has their own guidelines on determining if you are totally disabled or not none of these agencies decisions guarantee what a different agency will decide on your claims.
Main question being if approved for TDIU, does my conversion from the DOD money I convert to VA monay for tax free benefits go to the 100% or do does it stay at the original percent?

Say I get $4900 DOD and convert $1500 to VA with my VA%. If I get VA TDIU can I then convert my DOD to the full 100% amount of VA of like $3390

That's called a waiver of pay not a conversion of pay but yes you would receive 3390 of tax free va disability benefits then collect 1510 of DoD pay. The TDIU can either P&T or not with RFE in the future but if they believe you will not get better they will grant P&T that comes with the extra Ch 35 benefits for your dependents.

kb1991,

Re: "Convert"

As stated by odd pedestrian, there is no conversion.

Example: 4900 DoD disability and 2000 VA
Results in
4900 reduced by 2000 VA amount = 2900 DoD and 2000 VA

Another: 2000 DoD disability and 3000 VA
Results in
2000 reduced by 3000 VA amount = zero DoD and 3000 VA

Ron