TDLR 70/ VA 100

Hello :) well i received my rating... 70TDLR i’m well over 20 years... has anyone appealed TDLR? i don’t want to appeal and they end up lowering my dod rating or the VA rating but i also want to be completely done...

Hello :) well i received my rating... 70TDLR i’m well over 20 years... has anyone appealed TDLR? i don’t want to appeal and they end up lowering my dod rating or the VA rating but i also want to be completely done...
Attorneys warn that any FPEB could change more than what you are trying to overturn. However, I have yet to hear about someone that had something changed that wasn't in relation to their appeal. I think appealing is very low risk. The FPEB can't change the rating since the VA is the sole rating agency. The FPEB can designate conditions fit or not. I would think that the most likely scenario is that you appeal that its TDLR and they will either agree with you and change it to PDRL or decided to keep it TDLR. I would appeal if I were in your shoes I thought I had a chance to get it changed. Make sure to have documentation that the condition has been stable for a decent length of time and try to get some letters from medical professionals that state your condition is stable and not likely to change over the next few years. Your attorney can guide you through what things typically work in getting it changed.

Attorneys warn that any FPEB could change more than what you are trying to overturn. However, I have yet to hear about someone that had something changed that wasn't in relation to their appeal. I think appealing is very low risk. The FPEB can't change the rating since the VA is the sole rating agency. The FPEB can designate conditions fit or not. I would think that the most likely scenario is that you appeal that its TDLR and they will either agree with you and change it to PDRL or decided to keep it TDLR. I would appeal if I were in your shoes I thought I had a chance to get it changed. Make sure to have documentation that the condition has been stable for a decent length of time and try to get some letters from medical professionals that state your condition is stable and not likely to change over the next few years. Your attorney can guide you through what things typically work in getting it changed.
Thank you!

Being that i’m TDLR am i still eligible for CRDP?

If you are otherwise qualified, being on a retired list is necessary for CRDP.

Please note that if your qualification is related to another type retirement, you must meet all the requirements for receipt of the other retirement including meeting the age requirement.

One Example of meeting all requirements for CRDP:
—in retired status
—has 20 good years
—Has 50% or more VA rating and receives VA comp
—meets age requirement

Ron

If you are otherwise qualified, being on a retired list is necessary for CRDP.

Please note that if your qualification is related to another type retirement, you must meet all the requirements for receipt of the other retirement including meeting the age requirement.

One Example of meeting all requirements for CRDP:
—in retired status
—has 20 good years
—Has 50% or more VA rating and receives VA comp
—meets age requirement

Ron
Thank you :)! does TDRL count?

Thank you :)! does TDRL count?
TDRL = Temporary Disability Retired List

From DFAS:
A member of the TDRL or the PDRL is a retired member of the armed forces. You are entitled to all rights and privileges of a military retiree, which may include:

• Participation in Survivor Benefit Plans
  • Voluntary/involuntary allotments from your retired pay
  • Disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs
If you meet additional requirements you may also qualify for Combat-Related Special Compensation or Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay .
-------------------------------

I do not know if a board will place a person on the "temporary" retired list IF they qualify for another type retirement. I suspect the answer for that administrative detail is "Yes" to being placed on the TDRL. However, someone such as @Provis or @chaplaincharlie would be better able to answer your question--i received a regular retirement 30 years ago.

I know that TDRL retirees are eligible for CRSC...but that benefit does not require another type retirement.

From DFAS:

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP
. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
Ron

Last edited:
TDRL = Temporary Disability Retired List

From DFAS:
A member of the TDRL or the PDRL is a retired member of the armed forces. You are entitled to all rights and privileges of a military retiree, which may include:

• Participation in Survivor Benefit Plans
  • Voluntary/involuntary allotments from your retired pay
  • Disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs
If you meet additional requirements you may also qualify for Combat-Related Special Compensation or Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay .
-------------------------------

I do not know if a board will place a person on the "temporary" retired list IF they qualify for another type retirement. I suspect the answer for that administrative detail is "Yes" to being placed on the TDRL. However, someone such as @Provis or @chaplaincharlie would be better able to answer your question--i received a regular retirement 30 years ago.

I know that TDRL retirees are eligible for CRSC...but that benefit does not require another type retirement.

From DFAS:

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP
. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
Ron
Thank you very much!

Hello @CaliCapt As I mentioned earlier, I am not familiar with all the administrative aspects of TDRL. The primary question is whether an individual who qualifies for another retirement can receive a TDRL. I “think” yes.

@Provis and @chaplaincharlie might be able to clarify...

Ron

Hello @CaliCapt I believe @RonG is correct. The good news is that you can find out pretty quickly if you have 20 active duty years since when you get your Pension you can see if there is the full amount of VA offset. Unlike reserve and national guard active duty should have CRDP should be automatic.

Hello @CaliCapt I believe @RonG is correct. The good news is that you can find out pretty quickly if you have 20 active duty years since when you get your Pension you can see if there is the full amount of VA offset. Unlike reserve and national guard active duty should have CRDP should be automatic.
Thank you very much :) this forum is a life saver :)! so much good info!!

Good info.

Since “70TDLR i’m well over 20 years” (the 20 years part) often means 20 good years rather than 20 active duty years, I answered in the way shown. Being qualified for a regular retirement = full receipt of the longevity portion of retired pay via CRDP. The retiree also receives the VA compensation.

Ron

Last edited: