TDRL being done by a contractor

They are sending me for my TDRL PTSD re-eval to a psychologist civilian, who no doubt has little to no experience with military related evals, much less PTSD. Is this appropriate?

BTW, the "team" at Ivan Walks has so far been a group of inept, lax, uncaring liars. They keep sending letters that give instructions such as "fill out the questionaire and take it with you" and when you call to tell them no questionaire came with your letter, they say " oh, ignore that that shouldn't be in there" I don't like my records going all over the country to goodness knows who.

Jason, Maparker, someone please respond

mascabn,

While I share your concerns about your records being sent all over the country and the apparently unprofessional conduct of Ivan Walks, the TDRL re-eval with a civilian may not be a bad thing. But I also recognize that it may be a bad setup.

This could be a good thing because the civilian doc may be more sensitive to your story, symptoms, and experience with PTSD. If this civilian doc doesn't deal with military PTSD cases on a regular basis, I am more apt to think they will be more sensitive as opposed to assuming you are some type of malingerer. But at the same time, and perhaps more realistically, this civilian doc could be one who has some type of agreement with Ivan Walks to deal with all their PTSD re-evals.

In either case, what I've stated is nothing more than speculation. Try not to worry too much as you can always non-concur with the MEB and see another psychiatrist. I'm not sure if the other mods, Jason, maparker, or other members have more information on these Ivan Walks folks - my knowledge is limited to what I can find on google about them and the few threads on this forum discussing them. Best of luck and be sure to let us know what comes of your re-evaluation.

I don't know that I can add much. Whether a good policy to have contractors do the exam or not, the reality is that there is not anything that I think can be done to challenge it. The issue to look at is whether the evaluation meets the requirements of law and regulations. Specifically, the exam has to cover the information contained in the VA disability worksheets. Watch for that, because if it does not, it is doubtful if they have a good basis to rate you properly.

Hope all goes well!

So here it is December, my re-eval was supposidly sent to the board months ago. I can never get ahold of Ivan Walks VELO, without a hassle. Have yet to hear anything from them or the board. Someone please remind me how long the board has to respond.......

I thought it was 60 days. Why was this done less than a year after my first MEB?

How long do I have to endure this limbo. I just want it DONE so I can try to move on........

WHAT IS THE FRICKEN HOLD UP?

I'm pretty upset with IWA. After several unreturned phone calls, I received a packet in the mail in JULY that my appointment was in less than TWO WEEKS from the day that I received it. Went to the civilian doctor and he did a thorough physical, just like my original MEB in the Army. He was extremely nice as I was telling him all of my complications and how my conditions are severely affecting my quality of life. I was emailed the paperwork from IWA that they were going to send to the PEB after I initialed off on it. The civilian doctor was completely contradictory in his entire report. He put in one place that I was unable to work due to my conditions, then later on said that my conditions should not affect my ability to work..really? AND he got my dominant hand wrong (I'm left-handed). MAKE SURE YOU READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE REPORT AND ATTACH A LETTER STATING ALL THE DISCREPANCIES IN THE REPORT! I also scanned my medical documents pertaining to my conditions so that they could send in my medical proof to the PEB. I was told by IWA that it is going to take 4-6 months to get their decision back, and I have a feeling I'm going to have to fight it. I have Osteoporosis (found out after I was put on TDRL, sustained MULTIPLE stress fractures in the Army and did not heal even after 8 months of PTRP), I have facet arthritis in my spine, degenerative arthritis in my spine, migraines, and chronic pain in my legs and my hips/back. I was rated analogous to degenerative arthritis for my knees/feet. I'm wondering if they'll add everything else in with my decision? I'm hoping that I get the decision I want, but if not, I am going to be on this forum asking for help! I hope everyone else's contracted physicals go more smoothly!

Does anyone know if collectively we have a case against DOD or Ivan Walks? This company is getting millions of dollars to do what? I received my first re-evaluation after 45 months on tdrl and about 100 unanswered phone calls. The only reason I got that re-evaluation is because my congressman's office started calling Ivan walks on my behalf. The medical report I was given 8 months after my re-evaluation was so poorly done it addressed only 3 conditions of the 7 conditions that make me unfit for duty according to my original PEB. After my rebuttal to the original medical report I was evaluated a second time and this time 6 of 7 conditions were on the doctors chart to be evaluatrted.
Since that evaluation I have heard nothing of value from Ivan walks, only the refrain that they will contact me when my medical report is ready for review. I am currently on my 56th month of tdrl, you get only 60 before your benefits stop, no exceptions I was told. My time on tdrl has been aggravating to say the least, however I am sure not as aggravating as some of you have experianced.
However the guy running that company is cashing huge checks for the work his company has done for us! How can this be? There has to be something that can be done to stop this injustice, the 2 congressional complaints I have filed don't seem to make this better, and I am sure I am not the only one to have taken the congressman route. Does anyone think that a class action suit is in order for a breach of contract or something? Does anyone have a point of contact to get something like that looked like into? I know my case is not unique and this company getting rich off our blood is bullshit.

Does anyone know if collectively we have a case against DOD or Ivan Walks? This company is getting millions of dollars to do what? I received my first re-evaluation after 45 months on tdrl and about 100 unanswered phone calls. The only reason I got that re-evaluation is because my congressman's office started calling Ivan walks on my behalf. The medical report I was given 8 months after my re-evaluation was so poorly done it addressed only 3 conditions of the 7 conditions that make me unfit for duty according to my original PEB. After my rebuttal to the original medical report I was evaluated a second time and this time 6 of 7 conditions were on the doctors chart to be evaluatrted.
Since that evaluation I have heard nothing of value from Ivan walks, only the refrain that they will contact me when my medical report is ready for review. I am currently on my 56th month of tdrl, you get only 60 before your benefits stop, no exceptions I was told. My time on tdrl has been aggravating to say the least, however I am sure not as aggravating as some of you have experianced.
However the guy running that company is cashing huge checks for the work his company has done for us! How can this be? There has to be something that can be done to stop this injustice, the 2 congressional complaints I have filed don't seem to make this better, and I am sure I am not the only one to have taken the congressman route. Does anyone think that a class action suit is in order for a breach of contract or something? Does anyone have a point of contact to get something like that looked like into? I know my case is not unique and this company getting rich off our blood is bullshit.
I feel your pain Rock40, I have been on TDRL for the past 3 years and the only time i got a Re-eval was about 2 years after I was placed on TDRL. Now the kicker is I had my 1st Re-eval September 7, 2011 fourteen months ago and still have not got my ratings back from the PEB. I have sent countless emails and made several calls and still no answer. I have made several complaints and still nothing has been done. I have gone through 6 VELO's. It seems they do not care. I was suppose to have my next re-eval August of this year and still have not had it. I was told my my latest VELO it could take up to 90 days to get my findings back. I was also told that i was suppose to go to a MTF or VA to get my re-eval done, not a civilian doctor (at least that is what a OMBUDSMAN told me).

Sgtdja, I am trying to get a lawyer and a class action suit going, so that we can force someone to take us seriously. My congressional rep called me the other day to apologize for their lack of progress on my case. They said that no one is responding on to the congressional inquiry made on my behalf. I did get my second evaluation back though, however it was equally as bad s the first. An example being that it said my right eye has vision correctible to 20/25 with lenses. I am in actuallity blind in my right t eye due to shrapnel. If I get s lawyer to greatest US, I will get whole of you.

Thanks for the thought Rock40, I just got my DA 199 today and it states Fit for Duty.

I am in for any type of class action lawsuit. Rock40...thanks for leading the way! I am in the same situation Rock with going to exams over a year ago and not getting any information on the results. When I do complain to my VELO (yeah, mine a changed a few times too!), I get some answer that the information is still be evaluated and the MTF will make a decision that I can appeal...really? I, have no faith in this organization. Based on the traffic here, I am relieved that my best course of action would be to write a letter of disagreement of anything I disagree with...hopefully this would hold some weight with any board! ?

In my case, how can a sub-contracted workman's comp doctor know anything about my neck, back, feet, eyes and hearing without conducted the proper tests (no eye exam or audio test) or conducting x-rays or a MRI? Basically these doctors have a packet of about 17 pages in which questions are asked to the SM...the assumption is, such packets paralell what the VASRD in (?). I can say though, that the private psych doctor seem to be receptive to my PTSD issues...but I have no clue on what was said in the report that she submitted.