TDRL exam to results

sailer22

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Just had my TDRL exam,

Does the PEB factor in your MOS while your in TDRL to be placed in PDRL? I know its a factor in getting placed in the "fit or Unfit" groups. Doctors at exam made it seem like Crohns should be automatic PDRL since their is no cure, then I come on here and see many people get separated with severance with crohns. So not sure why my doc would say that unless most GI docs are unaware that people with crohns are getting separated.

Just had my TDRL exam,

Does the PEB factor in your MOS while your in TDRL to be placed in PDRL? I know its a factor in getting placed in the "fit or Unfit" groups. Doctors at exam made it seem like Crohns should be automatic PDRL since their is no cure, then I come on here and see many people get separated with severance with crohns. So not sure why my doc would say that unless most GI docs are unaware that people with crohns are getting separated.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

From an U.S. Army perspective via my own lengthy experiences when previously placed on DoD military TDRL, the primary purpose of the DoD LDES PEB is to determine if the PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition(s) which was(were) previously determined to be "permanent and unstable" when placed on TDRL are eventually to be considered "permanent and stable" for DoD rating purposes only. The LDES PEB shall perform a thorough review of the TDRL medical re-examination to include all other available medical documentation to determine if a return to military service (e.g., in your assigned MOS or other potential MOSs) is medically feasible as based upon the symptomology of the PEB-referred unfitting medical condition(s) while on TDRL. More specifically, if the PEB-referred unfitting medical condition is now considered "permanent and stable" and the condition's symptomology supports a DoD disability rating of 30% or higher as annotated in the criteria of 38 CFR VASRD, then a LDES PEB recommendation for placement onto the DoD military PDRL could potentially occur.

Bottom line is that the final documented symptomology of the PEB-referred unfitting condition(s) via a TDRL medical re-examination to include all other available medical documentation is used by the DoD LDES PEB to determine the results during the TDRL re-evaluation process. As such, eventually upon reaching the 3-year or 5-year maximum tenure on the TDRL, the military member is automatically removed from the TDRL and a final decision has to be made by the PDA. The final PDA decision will be either (1) placed onto the DoD military PDRL, or (2) separated from military service at a 0%, 10% or 20% rating with disability severance pay, or (3) fit for duty with an opportunity to return to military service.

BTW, the Social Security Administration (SSA) includes Crohn’s disease as a qualifying condition under listing 5.06, Inflammatory Bowel Disease in the commonly known Social Security Blue Book. The Blue Book’s official title is “Disability Evaluation Under Social Security” and it is a listing of disabling impairments. If the SSA finds objective medical evidence in your medical record that demonstrates that your Crohn’s meets the criteria of listing 5.06, the SSA will automatically approve your SSDI claim for federal disability.

Nonetheless and indeed, submitting a SSDI claim is a course of action to also consider if you are not currently receiving SSA SSDI federal disability compensation at least in my experienced opinion. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I hate to sound too negative but if its Navy I be worried.

Thank you for the information. Yeah it’s navy. This wait might be worse than the original wait when I was in.

Thank you for the information. Yeah it’s navy. This wait might be worse than the original wait when I was in.
Indeed, you are welcome! Hoping for a favorable outcome from your TDRL re-evaluation. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I don't know what the hell is going on with the Navy, but I got put on TDRL in 2014. Got my first re-eval in Oct 2018, and I still haven't heard a peep from PEB, PEBLO, or PERS about results. My five-year mark is in 6 months and I feel like they are committed to sweeping my case under the rug.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have searched all over this site for relevant information and this is the closest thread I could find. When you go in for your TDRL re-examination, is it processed as if you are going through a PEB again? Does it go back to D.C. and re-evaluated by a line officer and two medical officers for fit or unfit for duty based off of your rating/mos? I was just placed on TDRL in December of 2018 and I am hoping to return to service as my diagnosis is not accurate. My doctors gave me an unspecified diagnosis with a diagnosis that by default will give me over 30% disability so that I can follow up and get further healthcare to figure out what exactly is going on. After I was already found unfit and given a rating, I had another medical event that was related to what got me in the PEB in the first place just prior to going on TDRL. This was the first time a military doctor was able to witness my medical event firsthand and he advised that my PEB diagnosis was definitely inaccurate. I plan on getting a written statement from him elaborating on his observations and findings. I still have more medical evaluations and appointments to pursue as I am trying to build a case against the original diagnosis.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have searched all over this site for relevant information and this is the closest thread I could find. When you go in for your TDRL re-examination, is it processed as if you are going through a PEB again? Does it go back to D.C. and re-evaluated by a line officer and two medical officers for fit or unfit for duty based off of your rating/mos? I was just placed on TDRL in December of 2018 and I am hoping to return to service as my diagnosis is not accurate. My doctors gave me an unspecified diagnosis with a diagnosis that by default will give me over 30% disability so that I can follow up and get further healthcare to figure out what exactly is going on. After I was already found unfit and given a rating, I had another medical event that was related to what got me in the PEB in the first place just prior to going on TDRL. This was the first time a military doctor was able to witness my medical event firsthand and he advised that my PEB diagnosis was definitely inaccurate. I plan on getting a written statement from him elaborating on his observations and findings. I still have more medical evaluations and appointments to pursue as I am trying to build a case against the original diagnosis.

How do you know they still won't consider the new diagnosis unfit? Often when their is little still wrong with the vet they will give a 0% rating but determine they are still unfit to serve. Seriously consider legal counsel if that's what you want to accomplish.

How do you know they still won't consider the new diagnosis unfit? Often when their is little still wrong with the vet they will give a 0% rating but determine they are still unfit to serve. Seriously consider legal counsel if that's what you want to accomplish.

You are probably right. I guess that is why I put the question out there so I could get advice on the best way forward, which is legal counseling who are SMEs in this. During my legal counseling when going through the PEB, my lawyer said that going TDRL is typically the initial step of being completely out of the military, so I took the calculated risk. But I chose to accept the findings of being unfit due to the fact that the operational tempo of my job would not allow me to get to the bottom of what is going on with my body, plus I only had two LIMDU periods and my doctor's were pushing for a PEB anyways without authorizing a thrid LIMDU.

I wasn't in the military long enough to gain a savings financially (who ever is... Am I right? chuckle) But, when I joined the military I had nothing to my name and was assigned to Hawaii from the East coast (I know, nobody has sympathy for that one) so initial costs for household goods were astronomical. Now that I have been put civilian side, I am still financially under the water and trying to get topside. So, that is my hesitation with seeking legal counsel at the moment.

Thank you for your advice. Perhaps I am already damaged goods and I'm no use for the Navy or any branch at this point. I welcome any and all input, especially if anyone has any stories of getting found found fit again.