TDRL for 45 days?

flexiblethumb

Registered Member
Hi,

I was medically retired from the Navy effective 28 Feb 2017 with 100% rating through the VA after going through a PEB. When I was retired, I was told that TDRL lasts for 3-5.

I received a letter from the VA dated 16 April 2017 saying that I am being reduced from 100% down to 20%.

I was rated for having cancer twice in 3 years while I was active duty and was told it's considered an unstable condition.

Is this a mistake on the VA's part? Being removed from TDRL within 45 days of retirement?

Thanks.

Did your condition improve? They raise it again if the cancer comes back. I have it as well, 100% but supposedly have a review in 6 months.

Hi,

I was medically retired from the Navy effective 28 Feb 2017 with 100% rating through the VA after going through a PEB. When I was retired, I was told that TDRL lasts for 3-5.

I received a letter from the VA dated 16 April 2017 saying that I am being reduced from 100% down to 20%.

I was rated for having cancer twice in 3 years while I was active duty and was told it's considered an unstable condition.

Is this a mistake on the VA's part? Being removed from TDRL within 45 days of retirement?

Thanks.
Was this your first "official" award letter from the VA post retirement? Also, is this an intent to reduce your VA award, meaning, you have the option to elect receiving current VA compensation and request a hearing?

It's my initial, but I got a permanent colostomy so that would rate 100% permanent. They just haven't "inspected" me yet or know about it. I know nothing of the hearing, I do know cancer gets knocked down to the residual effects. Trust me, you are better off with no residuals money or not. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Hi,

Thanks.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In retrospect, being placed onto the DoD military TDRL is a DoD process only. Did you have a DoD TDRL re-examination? :confused:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Hi,

Thanks.

Flexible: The VA can NOT remove you from TDRL--only your service Secretary can do that.

The VA CAN and WILL reduce your rating if you don't attend follow up evaluation appointments.

With the 2017 NDAA, TDRL is capped at 3 years.

Best of luck.

The VA process is not connected with TDRL or PDRL.