TDRL Medical Marijuana Risk losing PDRL?

Afvet94

Registered Member
I know there are many posts like this but I have found none that have a solid answer.
I am about to be placed on TDRL for Major Depressive Disorder along with many other smaller conditions rated to a total of 70 mil 90 va.

I plan on getting a medical marijuana card to help with anxiety and hopefully boost my motivation to get out and do things by distracting my self from depressive thoughts. Alcohol does the same thing however being a depressant it sometimes makes things worse and I just don’t really like to drink alcohol especially with my meds I can’t.
my question is if I get my medical marijuana card and smoke or take edibles will this affect a decision during a re-evaluation to PDRL. If I pop hot will this affect my TDRL status.

I have asked my local PEB and they said don’t ask don’t tell. Problem is I don’t want to risk losing a PDRL decision at a re evaluation.
I have asked Local JAG and they did not directly answer my question and didn’t do research to see if its acceptable when under care of a certified physician. They referred me to ADC
ADC told me that they have never been asked this question and do not know how to help me.

has anyone out there TDRL been reevaluated with marijuana usage on there record? What was the outcome? Can you still get a PDRL decision? Or will they kick you off the list and retirement gets thrown out the window. Does the VA drug test for mental health. Can you deny taking a drug test with VA? Will this adversely affect TDRL?
Sorry for all the questions but I just want to try this treatment but at the same time I want to keep my retirement benefits.

You never have to consent to a drug test unless you are prescribed narcotics on a continual basis. Otherwise you are good but I would definitely follow the dont ask dont tell policy as marijuana still technically falls under substance abuse. I use CBD oil and have never told them just so they wouldn't misconstrue that as smoking a psychoactive substance.

I’ve been drug tested by the VA, once in 5 years. I was having severe mental health issues at the time and they tested for many things, cannabinoids being one of them. I was negative. I believe they ran this test just because I was a new VA patient and pretty severe symptoms at the time.

I was PDRL and so no chance of DOD finding out.

I believe the only way this would happen in your case would be if you had serious issues and the VA attributed your issues to marijuana addiction. DOD can theoretically recall a veteran back to active duty in order to prosecute them but it is extremely rare, the only cases I’ve read about were murder cases, one an Army E8 who killed a woman in the 80s and got away with it, then the cold case was reopened when DNA evidence became available and he was recalled stood trial and was convicted.

I seriously doubt that DOD would do that for marijuana use after someone was out.

This article discusses only the VA's position regarding the use of marijuana.

VA and Marijuana – What Veterans need to know

--->LINK

Some things Veteran need to know about marijuana and the VA:
  • Veterans will not be denied VA benefits because of marijuana use.
  • Veterans are encouraged to discuss marijuana use with their VA providers.
  • VA health care providers will record marijuana use in the Veteran's VA medical record in order to have the information available in treatment planning. As with all clinical information, this is part of the confidential medical record and protected under patient privacy and confidentiality laws and regulations.
  • VA clinicians may not recommend medical marijuana.
  • VA clinicians may only prescribe medications that have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for medical use. At present most products containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD), or other cannabinoids are not approved for this purpose by the FDA.
  • VA clinicians may not complete paperwork/forms required for Veteran patients to participate in state-approved marijuana programs.
  • VA pharmacies may not fill prescriptions for medical marijuana.
  • VA will not pay for medical marijuana prescriptions from any source.
  • VA scientists may conduct research on marijuana benefits and risks, and potential for abuse, under regulatory approval.
  • The use or possession of marijuana is prohibited at all VA medical centers, locations and grounds. When you are on VA grounds it is federal law that is in force, not the laws of the state.
  • Veterans who are VA employees are subject to drug testing under the terms of employment.
See link for additional information.

Ron

You never have to consent to a drug test unless you are prescribed narcotics on a continual basis. Otherwise you are good but I would definitely follow the dont ask dont tell policy as marijuana still technically falls under substance abuse. I use CBD oil and have never told them just so they wouldn't misconstrue that as smoking a psychoactive substance.
Thank you for your reply I really appreciate the good information

I’ve been drug tested by the VA, once in 5 years. I was having severe mental health issues at the time and they tested for many things, cannabinoids being one of them. I was negative. I believe they ran this test just because I was a new VA patient and pretty severe symptoms at the time.

I was PDRL and so no chance of DOD finding out.

I believe the only way this would happen in your case would be if you had serious issues and the VA attributed your issues to marijuana addiction. DOD can theoretically recall a veteran back to active duty in order to prosecute them but it is extremely rare, the only cases I’ve read about were murder cases, one an Army E8 who killed a woman in the 80s and got away with it, then the cold case was reopened when DNA evidence became available and he was recalled stood trial and was convicted.

I seriously doubt that DOD would do that for marijuana use after someone was out.
Thank you for the great information you provided.

Thank you for this information and the thread. It was informative and relieved some apprehension myself and others had.

I am about to be placed on TDRL for Major Depressive Disorder along with many other smaller conditions rated to a total of 70 mil 90 va.

If I pop hot will this affect my TDRL status.

Problem is I don’t want to risk losing a PDRL decision at a re evaluation.
Sorry for all the questions but I just want to try this treatment but at the same time I want to keep my retirement benefits.
TDRL is temporary and normally paid at @ DoD 50%.

Temporary is not permanent and you are going to run the risk of your permanent disability retirement.

Have you discussed with your mental health doctor that your current medication(s) are not working?

Hey, folks. Thank you for the provided information. It’s very useful for me. I don’t think my issue is actually a unique one. Still, I have weak joints, bad sleep, and anxiety. The more I think of my issue, the more complicated it seems. Hope it’s not. So, what do you think?

What?? This is incorrect.
The quoted post was in reply to:

SFC H said:
"TDRL is temporary and normally paid at @ DoD 50%."

-----------------------------------

From DFAS:
Temporary Disability Retirement List
If you are found unfit to perform your duties because of a disability that may not be permanent, you may be placed on the Temporary Disability List (TDRL).

Your retired pay will be computed using one of two methods:

• your disability percentage (using a minimum of 50 percent for payment purposes while on the TDRL), referred to as Method A, or
  • your years of active service, referred to as Method B.

Your pay will be computed based on whichever is more beneficial for you.

While on the TDRL, a physical examination is required at least once every 18 months. If you fail to report for your physical examination, your Branch of Service will remove you from the TDRL list and your retired pay will be suspended until your examination has been completed.

If you were placed on the TDRL prior to January 1, 2017 may remain on the TDRL for up to five years, providing your condition does not change during that time. If you were placed on the TDRL on or after January 1, 2017, you will remain on that list for up to three years providing you condition does not change during that time. If at any time you are found fit for duty, you may be removed from the TDRL and returned to active duty.

If your disability stabilizes and is rated at 30 percent or greater, you will be transferred to the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL). If your disability stabilizes and is rated at less than 30 percent and you do not have 20 years of service, you will be discharged from the TDRL with severance pay.

Ron

Hey, folks. Thank you for the provided information. It’s very useful for me. I don’t think my issue is actually a unique one. Still, I have weak joints, bad sleep, and anxiety. The more I think of my issue, the more complicated it seems. Hope it’s not. So, what do you think?
I would start with lab work, if you want to resolve the issue as quickly as possible pay for your own labs and learn how to read them its really easy. I believe now in hindsight that weed and CBD is the lazy way of fixing problems and really will never work long term. Here is a link where you can order a hormone, CBC, CMC, Iron or Vitamin D, B12 or a thyroid panel your doctors typically never order anything other than a lipid, CBC, or CMC panel.

discountlabs.com

I would start with lab work, if you want to resolve the issue as quickly as possible pay for your own labs and learn how to read them its really easy. I believe now in hindsight that weed and CBD is the lazy way of fixing problems and really will never work long term. Here is a link where you can order a hormone, CBC, CMC, Iron or Vitamin D, B12 or a thyroid panel your doctors typically never order anything other than a lipid, CBC, or CMC panel.

discountlabs.com
100%! I started taking iron supplements and already feel better after only a few days!

100%! I started taking iron supplements and already feel better after only a few days!
That was my problem took a whopping 18 months of straight hell to figure it out no one thought of ordering an iron panel had no energy panic attacks headaches, crazy weight gain eventually referred to hematologist who said lets do an iron panel came back critically low for both iron and ferritin. The issue was I was on h2 blockers for GERD and my body blocked almost all iron that I ate from diet. My doctor prescribed Ferrous Sulfate Iron and that was the best medicine I ever took in my life been back in the gym almost all month the whole process was really crazy thats why I now tell everyone to do complete blood panels for everything.

My friend advised me to visit this clinic Marijuana Doctor | Florida's Leading Medical Marijuana Evaluation Clinic. He’s taking medical marijuana and feels really nice. He used to struggle with anxiety and bad sleep issues. He got rid of them since he tried medical marijuana for the first time. So, I’d be grateful for any advice from you, guys. Thanks in advance!

Also on Tdrl and did the same. About a year and a month after I was discharged was the first and only time I heard from the army. They said I’d have an upcoming appt in 30-60. I had my appt, increased %.
I received a letter in the mail saying I was p&t. I thought this was the alternative to Tdrl so immediately I started looking for an indica to help sleep/make these migraines somewhat bearable.
Did labs last week without a worry in the world because I thought I was free.
Fast forward to yesterday, 17 months after discharge and I’m sitting in a shop about to get my throat tatted and I get an email from dod saying my packet has been submitted to peb to determine Tdrl or permanent.
I believe I may be f’ed

Hello,

That letter may have been generated by the VA since Permanent and Total (P&T) is a VA term, not the DoD.

The Army/DoD letter would cite "Permanent" as in Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL) and provide a percentage.

Has your condition improved since you were placed on the TDRL? It would seem that would be a key factor.

Full disclosure: I am out of my lane on this one.

Ron
cc: @chaplaincharlie @Provis