TDRL Pay Calculations Help

PEBComplete19

Registered Member
Hi, I really need some assistance to figure out what to expect for pay (VA/DOD/CRSC/etc) once I am medically retired. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Details:
- VA 100%
- DOD 90% TDRL
- Combat-related disability % = 90%
- Combat-Related coded and CRSC eligible.
- 10 years of service
- Average of high 3 = $5989.36
- Married, 3 children.

Please let me know if there is any other information needed.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi, I really need some assistance to figure out what to expect for pay (VA/DOD/CRSC/etc) once I am medically retired. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Details:
- VA 100%
- DOD 90% TDRL
- Combat-related disability % = 90%
- Combat-Related coded and CRSC eligible.
- 10 years of service
- Average of high 3 = $5989.36
- Married, 3 children.

Please let me know if there is any other information needed.
Hello,

Your VA compensation appears to be $3521.79

1. 5989.36 x 0.75 = 4492.02 disability retired pay
2. 4492.02 minus ($3,352.41) + ($84.69 x2) = 970.23 residual retired pay (left over)
Note: 3521.79 VA comp 100%, Married, 3 children assumed to be under 18
3. 10 years active duty inferred x 2.5% = 25% longevity multiplier
4. 5989.36 x 0.25 = 1497.34 longevity portion of retired pay
5. 1497.34 minus 970.23 = 527.11
6. Payments from DFAS each month:
--970.23 residual retired pay
--527.11 CRSC
Total: 1497.34

The computation above is based on the assumption that the amount approved by your service (possibly @ 90%) is greater than the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. The VA compensation tables show the amounts associated with the service-approved CRSC percentages.

DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63
2. Members retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61, with less than 20 years of creditable service computed under 10 U.S.C. § 1208, and who are qualified for CRSC, on or after January 1, 2013, will have the maximum CRSC payment restrictions. The CRSC payment amount, which when combined with any remaining retired pay after VA offset, will not exceed the amount that is equal to 2½ percent of the member’s years of creditable service multiplied by the member’s retired pay base under 10 U.S.C. § 1406(b)(1) or 10 U.S.C. § 1407, whichever is applicable to the member.

Ron

PEBComplete19

Registered Member
Ron,

Thanks for the really quick response. Honestly, I’m a little shocked by the total payment. At this point I’ve been told by numerous “professionals (AW2, WWP, WWMP, WTU staff)” quotes numbers anywhere from $3700 a month to $8500 a month. $1,497 is certainly the lowest thus far.

Does this include monies that will be received by the VA too?

Again, I really appreciate your input and anyone else’s as well!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

Thank you for your comments.

Re: "I’m a little shocked by the total payment. At this point I’ve been told by numerous “professionals (AW2, WWP, WWMP, WTU staff)” quotes numbers anywhere from $3700 a month to $8500 a month. $1,497 is certainly the lowest thus far."

I wonder how many CRSC computations they have actually done.
-----------------------

As I indicated in my first sentence, "Your VA compensation appears to be $3521.79."

Item 6:
--527.11 CRSC

VA compensation + residual retired pay + CRSC = $5019.13 each month

My computations were based on the info you provided.

The following is what I usually ask retirees to furnish:

CRSC Estimate

If you want an estimate of your CRSC entitlement...

The information associated with all of the six numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or IF retired, your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s)

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC approved

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? EXAMPLE: Yes, Reserve Retirement
---

If you find that I have misinterpreted your situation, please let me know of the area and I will re-compute the CRSC.

Keep in mind that your case falls under:
2. Members retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61, with less than 20 years of creditable service computed under 10 U.S.C. § 1208, and who are qualified for CRSC, on or after January 1, 2013, will have the maximum CRSC payment restrictions. The CRSC payment amount, which when combined with any remaining retired pay after VA offset, will not exceed the amount that is equal to 2½ percent of the member’s years of creditable service multiplied by the member’s retired pay base under 10 U.S.C. § 1406(b)(1) or 10 U.S.C. § 1407, whichever is applicable to the member.

Ron

PEBComplete19

Registered Member
Ron,
I’ve been in the WTU/AW2 process now for years and haven’t seen anyone provide as detailed and clear information as you have. I really appreciate your help, as it’s finally given me something I feel comfortable trying to plan my financial situation around.

I do have an additional question if you don’t mind. I have 7 unfitting conditions, except for my PTSD condition rated 70%, The other 6 conditions include statements like “This injury is combat related IAW...” and a “(v3: Yes)” comment. Because that verbiage is not included in the PTSD condition paragraph on the 199 will it not be eligible to be included in my CRSC %?

Thanks again in advance for your assistance!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

Even if there was a 200% CRSC (there is not), your CRSC + residual retired pay cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay. That amount is 1497.34. Your residual is 970.23 and your CRSC is limited to 527.11 since those two amounts = 1497.34

4. 5989.36 x 0.25 = 1497.34 longevity portion of retired pay
5. 1497.34 minus 970.23 = 527.11
--527.11 CRSC

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
PEBComplete19,

The basis for the ceiling or limitation I discussed in the preceding post is the following:

“2. Members retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61, with less than 20 years of creditable service computed under 10 U.S.C. § 1208, and who are qualified for CRSC, on or after January 1, 2013, will have the maximum CRSC payment restrictions. The CRSC payment amount, which when combined with any remaining retired pay after VA offset, will not exceed the amount that is equal to 2½ percent of the member’s years of creditable service multiplied by the member’s retired pay base under 10 U.S.C. § 1406(b)(1) or 10 U.S.C. § 1407, whichever is applicable to the member.”

The last sentence of the quotation limits the “combination “ to the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay (i.e., 2.5% x years of active duty ot active duty equivalent).

Perhaps that will clarify the ceiling.

Edited to add:
Other considerations that can limit the amount of CRSC.
—CRSC cannot exceed the amount of waived/offset retired pay
—CRSC cannot exceed the amount associated with the CRSC percentage approved by one’s service. The amounts are found in the VA compensation tables.

Generally, a CH 61 retiree with less than 20 years AD will receive the lesser of
—dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay
OR
—the amount associated with the service approved combat related disabilities (CRSC) using the VA compensation tables
Any residual retired pay will reduce the amount of CRSC as discussed in detail earlier.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">