TDRL Re-eval - What's should I know?

CaliGrl03

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good Day All - I have my first TDRL re-eval coming up next month and I'm not sure what I should do/know going into this - I'm quite nervous. A few questions I have:

1. Are they re-evaling all of my claimed conditions or just my referred conditions?
  2. What are one's chances of being either separated or permanently retired after the first re-eval?
  3. Is this appointment tied too and/or will it affect my VA compensation or is that a separate appointment altogether?

Any insight/advice is appreciated - Thanks!

Hey!

1. They only re-evaluate the "Temporary" conditions. So if you have anything that is permanent it won't be looked at as far as a reevaluation goes. I only have 1 temporary condition and when I went in for my reeval it was the only thing talked about.

2. Depends on the condition are far as "permanent" goes. It would be really hard to go from 70% to under 30% but I don't know what all of your conditions are and what is/isn't permanent. For example, mental Health issues generally never get put on permanent from what I was told. I know when getting out they say after 5 years, but at least the doctor who did my reevaluation stated issues like Anxiety, depression, PTSD etc... Are always temporary. He did also say though, you could go years between evaluations. I had my first reevaluation after 5 months. Haven't had another since.

3. I could be wrong, but I do believe if the temporary condition is reevaluated lower it would drop in the VA as well. The biggest difference is the VA gives you credit for stuff DoD doesnt regarding your %'s. Which is why you have the 70%/100% as is.

The overall rating might not drop though. Im at 90% VA. Technically 91%. So I need 40% more to hit 95% to get to 100%.

So if you are at say 96% or 99% and the condition doesn't put you at 94% or lower, your VA would stay at 100%.

Like I said I could be wrong, and there are a lot of people on here more qualified than me. So, someone will chime in and offer help/corrections to my statement!

Best of luck moving forward and hope your reevaluation goes well.

1. Only the referred, temporary conditions will be re-evaluated.

2. Tough to say for sure, but unless you've been having new, acute symptoms or a drastic improvement in symptoms associated with one of those temporary conditions, you'll likely stay over 30% and be permanently retired. Realistically speaking, there's one, maybe two additional opportunities for DoD to re-evaluate you before you hit the 3-year TDRL max. Unless there's been a significant change, I would not expect to remain on the TDRL beyond this re-evaluation.

3. While the DoD does adopt VA ratings, the VA does not adopt DoD ratings. You'll stay at 100% unless the VA performed a C&P exam in lieu of being re-evaluated for the TDRL at an MTF, in which case the VA could use that C&P exam for rating purposes (if your 100% rating is permanent & total, however, this should not be a concern).

Best of luck to you.

Whatever your unfitting condition that was temporary will be re-evaluated I stress that this examine needs to go well the DBQ holds a lot of weight that the provider fills out.

Thanks everyone for your input/insight - this really helps. That said, how do I find whether or not the VA or DoD rated a condition as temporary? I've looked through the final packet that was mailed to me and it doesn't say one way or another.