TDRL Re-evaluation Time - Options

vision2019

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So it's been 14 months since I was medically retired from the AF on the TDRL list (60% VA/50% DOD). I just received a message via the Air Force personnel (MyPers) system stating that it's time for my re-evaluation.I was provided a couple of options as to how the re-eval should be conducted and I'm just looking for insight on which option I should go with. The options are:

1) I elect the TDRL Section at AFPC will request my medical appointment with the nearest military treatment facility that is able to evaluate my disability (ies).

2) I elect to submit medical documents from my civilian or VA provider that I have been treated by. I can complete this process one of two ways:
1. I will submit medical documents from my civilian or VA provider dated within the last 6 months and I understand that any information older than that will be insufficient.
2. I will have my provider accomplish a re-evaluation for the condition that placed me on TDRL using the attachments given by the TDRL section upon receipt of this election.

My main condition that deemed me unfit for service was in the mental health category and I had one physical condition that I was rated 10% for by the VA. Should I elect to get re-evaluated at a MTF or let my civilian provider submit the re-evaluation paperwork? Also, will I only getting re-evaluated on the condition that deemed me unfit or all conditions I received a rating for?

Last edited:
It is your call if you trust your civilian provider to conduct the exam (fill out paperwork) vs. the MTF. Advantages/disadvantages to both. Your provider might not have the experience to correctly phrase things the way the AF wants them to justify a specific rating and/or keep you unfit for duty. The MTF provider could be great or terrible, just depends on who you get, but they are trained to conduct these exams, normally it is their primary job at the MTF. There are numerous pros and cons for both.

Here is a VA worksheet that I found on the VA website on for the review exam for PTSD. It almost follows exactly what my MTF provider wrote in my NARSUM and VA DBQ that was done for my re-evaluation.

I also attached the current PTSD DBQ I found on the internet. It is the same form my MTF provider used in my re-evaluation.

I also found the mental health DBQ because I just realized you did not mention a specific one.

Attachments

• PTSD Review Exam VA Worksheet.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 24
  • PTSD-Review-DBQ.pdf
    217.4 KB · Views: 20
  • VBA-21 - Mental health DBQ form.pdf
    560.2 KB · Views: 25
It is your call if you trust your civilian provider to conduct the exam (fill out paperwork) vs. the MTF. Advantages/disadvantages to both. Your provider might not have the experience to correctly phrase things the way the AF wants them to justify a specific rating and/or keep you unfit for duty. The MTF provider could be great or terrible, just depends on who you get, but they are trained to conduct these exams, normally it is their primary job at the MTF. There are numerous pros and cons for both.

Here is a VA worksheet that I found on the VA website on for the review exam for PTSD. It almost follows exactly what my MTF provider wrote in my NARSUM and VA DBQ that was done for my re-evaluation.

I also attached the current PTSD DBQ I found on the internet. It is the same form my MTF provider used in my re-evaluation.

I also found the mental health DBQ because I just realized you did not mention a specific one.

Thank you for the information and attachements! Very helpful. You bring up some good points- I think I would prefer to have it conducted at a MTF where they're already familiar with the format, how things need to be worded, etc.