TDRL - Retirement Pay?

Bbird205

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My husband just got his AF 356 from his PEBLO. They gave him a 70% rating and want to put him on the TDRL. His PEBLO said that he is not entitled to retirement pay since he does not have 20 years (only has 5.35 years Active). Does anyone know if she is correct on that? Where would I find the regulation that says whether or not he should get retirement pay?

Why do you think the PEBLO is lying? Do you and your husband trust anything the PEBLO have said in the past? shouldn't your husband be doing his research on the MEB/TDRL process should nice he is the one in the AF?

Is the 70% a DOD or VA rating?

What she means to say is that he is not entitled to both the VA and Retirement pay. It's called CRDP.

What she means to say is that he is not entitled to both the VA and Retirement pay. It's called CRDP.

I do understand CRDP. What she said is that since he doesn't have 20 years, he is not entitled to retirement pay at all. She said there are no exceptions to this rule. From the research we've done, I think that he should be getting retirement pay. I'm just looking to see if anyone knows that actual regulation that says whether or not he should be getting retirement pay.

In this case, the Peblo is not correct. If your husband is found "unfit", and placed on TDRL (Temp Retired), then he will be paid 50 percent of his Base Pay. If you have VA ratings, you have to choose to "waive" the DoD retirement by whatever the VA gives you, but that is good, because the VA is tax free, and so when you get that 50 percent TDRL taxable, minus the VA (no tax), the end result is better overall.
If your husband is found Unfit, and receives a Permanent DoD Medical Retirement (the PDRL), he gets immediate retirement, based on his High-3, from DoD. He does not wait until 60, as a traditional M-Day Reservist or Guardsman. Then, as with the TDRL, you elect to "waive" DoD from VA and the DoD Retirement is offset by the tax-free VA pay. But remember, that is good, because you are taking taxable pay and replacing it with tax-free pay.
Hope this helps. I should know, since I had to educate myself, while going thru the same thing as a 39 yr Tradidional Reservist (12 AD, 27 Reserve). I ended up with inmediate Military Retirement (I was 56), no waiting for age 60.
Wishing you and your husband the best. Stay strong!

Retirement pay will be a significant amount less than VA disability compensation will be. You'd be crazy to take retirement over VA payments. Also retirement is taxed, VA is not. I think you need to educate yourselves more so you make the right decisions.

In this case, the Peblo is not correct. If your husband is found "unfit", and placed on TDRL (Temp Retired), then he will be paid 50 percent of his Base Pay. If you have VA ratings, you have to choose to "waive" the DoD retirement by whatever the VA gives you, but that is good, because the VA is tax free, and so when you get that 50 percent TDRL taxable, minus the VA (no tax), the end result is better overall.
If your husband is found Unfit, and receives a Permanent DoD Medical Retirement (the PDRL), he gets immediate retirement, based on his High-3, from DoD. He does not wait until 60, as a traditional M-Day Reservist or Guardsman. Then, as with the TDRL, you elect to "waive" DoD from VA and the DoD Retirement is offset by the tax-free VA pay. But remember, that is good, because you are taking taxable pay and replacing it with tax-free pay.
Hope this helps. I should know, since I had to educate myself, while going thru the same thing as a 39 yr Tradidional Reservist (12 AD, 27 Reserve). I ended up with inmediate Military Retirement (I was 56), no waiting for age 60.
Wishing you and your husband the best. Stay strong!
He will be entitled to 70% of his base pay, since the PEB rated him at 70%. A service member placed on TDRL is entitled to at least 50% while on TDRL, but when the PEB assigns a higher rating, they receive the higher. rating Just a quick clarification.

As stated immediate above, he is entitled to 70% retirement pay while on TDRL.