TDRL to PDRL compensation for less than 20 years

LAB1982

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I am hoping to get some clarification for financial planning purposes. I have been recently found unfit and am waiting on my ratings. I have asked the resources around me what I can expect for pay as I transition through what I am assuming will be the TDRL (18 mo to 3 years) to the PDRL. I have not received a constant opinion and, more often than not get told it is unknown. based on my research and what I have read on the DFAS website, it shows there will be some version of DOD retirement pay (minus the VA disability pay) in each of these cases. I am hoping someone in a similar situation to me can help to verify an approximate of the pay I will be receiving in these scenarios. I also understand there are a million variables, especially the rating split. Here are the approximates of what I think I am looking at. Please let me know if the DFAS Military Medical Retirement Estimator applies to me for the TDRL, PDRL or Both since I am under 20 yos. I have been told that the DOD retirement pay does not apply to me since I am under 20 and conversely that it does. I also have heard the answer that I will receive the DOD compensation until I reach 20 years and then will only get the VA compensation. Please Help!

P.S. I am not trying to overly complicate the calculation with any CRSC inclusion.

YOS: 14
High 36: ~7100
Married W/O children

TDRL (conservative probable outcome = 50% DOD, 60% VA): Method A: 7100(High 36 Av) X 14 (YOS) X 2.5%= ~$2320 (of that ~$1215 would be tax free for 60% VA rating)
Method B: 7100 X 50%= ~3570 (of that ~$1215 would be tax free for 60% VA rating)
In this case Method B calculation would be the best choice for me.

PDRL: if the ratings remain the same, my compensation would remain the same (VA disability would be reevaluated periodically). Does the DOD pay continue to get reevaluated? On PDRL, if I am under 20 YOS do I lose my DOD pay? Do I only receive my DOD pay until 20 years and then get reduced to only the VA pay?

Thanks for the help. It is definately not the primary concern during this process but I need to ensure I have a plan for when my EAS hits and that takes knowing what my approximate income will be. (PDRL if I am going to commit to a property long term at this point.)

Hello,

Re: “Please let me know if the DFAS Military Medical Retirement Estimator applies to me for the TDRL, PDRL or Both since I am under 20 yos. I have been told that the DOD retirement pay does not apply to me since I am under 20 and conversely that it does. I also have heard the answer that I will receive the DOD compensation until I reach 20 years and then will only get the VA compensation”

1. Yes, you will be eligible for the disability multiplier for retired pay for both the TDRL and PDRL.
“Your retired pay will be computed using one of two methods:

• your disability percentage (using a minimum of 50 percent for payment purposes while on the TDRL), referred to as Method A, or
  • your years of active service, referred to as Method B (i.e., active duty years x 2.5%)
Your pay will be computed based on whichever is more beneficial for you [for both TDRL and PDRL].”

2. The manner in which you showed the effect of receipt of VA compensation is technically incorrect.
Your DoD Retired Pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. Any residual (left over) Retired Pay will be retained by you.

Example using numbers picked at random:
VA compensation = 3000
DoD Retired Pay = 4000
Result: 4000 - 3000 = 1000 retired pay generated by DFAS and 3000 VA compensation paid by VA.

Ron

Edited to add: Regarding, “I also have heard the answer that I will receive the DOD compensation [DoD does not pay compensation; it pays retired, reserve, and AD pay) until I reach 20 years and then will only get the VA compensation.” (Inferred to mean while in a retired status) You will be paid as I outlined above. Reach 20 years? One does not accrue creditable service while in a retired status.

Hello,

I am hoping to get some clarification for financial planning purposes. I have been recently found unfit and am waiting on my ratings. I have asked the resources around me what I can expect for pay as I transition through what I am assuming will be the TDRL (18 mo to 3 years) to the PDRL. I have not received a constant opinion and, more often than not get told it is unknown. based on my research and what I have read on the DFAS website, it shows there will be some version of DOD retirement pay (minus the VA disability pay) in each of these cases. I am hoping someone in a similar situation to me can help to verify an approximate of the pay I will be receiving in these scenarios. Moving companies near me price link. I also understand there are a million variables, especially the rating split. Here are the approximates of what I think I am looking at. Please let me know if the DFAS Military Medical Retirement Estimator applies to me for the TDRL, PDRL or Both since I am under 20 yos. I have been told that the DOD retirement pay does not apply to me since I am under 20 and conversely that it does. I also have heard the answer that I will receive the DOD compensation until I reach 20 years and then will only get the VA compensation. Please Help!

P.S. I am not trying to overly complicate the calculation with any CRSC inclusion.

YOS: 14
High 36: ~7100
Married W/O children

TDRL (conservative probable outcome = 50% DOD, 60% VA): Method A: 7100(High 36 Av) X 14 (YOS) X 2.5%= ~$2320 (of that ~$1215 would be tax free for 60% VA rating)
Method B: 7100 X 50%= ~3570 (of that ~$1215 would be tax free for 60% VA rating)
In this case Method B calculation would be the best choice for me.

PDRL: if the ratings remain the same, my compensation would remain the same (VA disability would be reevaluated periodically). Does the DOD pay continue to get reevaluated? On PDRL, if I am under 20 YOS do I lose my DOD pay? Do I only receive my DOD pay until 20 years and then get reduced to only the VA pay?

Thanks for the help. It is definately not the primary concern during this process but I need to ensure I have a plan for when my EAS hits and that takes knowing what my approximate income will be. (PDRL if I am going to commit to a property long term at this point.)

how did you solve the issue?

how did you solve the issue?
Hello Moving,

I would like to offer that the only issue was the lack of retired pay knowledge by"the resources around me."

Post number two in this thread precisely outlines his entitlement to retired pay in accordance with current law.

[excerpt from post no. 2]

1. Yes, you will be eligible for the disability multiplier for retired pay for both the TDRL and PDRL.
“Your retired pay will be computed using one of two methods:

• your disability percentage (using a minimum of 50 percent for payment purposes while on the TDRL), referred to as Method A, or
  • your years of active service, referred to as Method B (i.e., active duty years x 2.5%)
Your pay will be computed based on whichever is more beneficial for you [for both TDRL and PDRL].”

2. The manner in which you showed the effect of receipt of VA compensation is technically incorrect.
Your DoD Retired Pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. Any residual (left over) Retired Pay will be retained by you.

Example using numbers picked at random:
VA compensation = 3000
DoD Retired Pay = 4000
Result: 4000 - 3000 = 1000 retired pay generated by DFAS and 3000 VA compensation paid by VA.

Ron