Terminal Leave?

kynchanted

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi all. I'm really confused about terminal leave and was hoping someone could clarify it for me. I met with my Peblo today, signed for my ratings and filled out the form for my orders information (I'm ADAF in 20.5 yrs MEB'd for migraines on botox). I put 27 Mar 19 for the date of separation on the form. My Peblo told me I could outprocess while on terminal leave. I have 45 days of leave now and will have 46.5 days by my separation date (taking some leave and accruing some). Peblo also said I'd get 20 days permissive for househunting, which puts me at 66.5 days total. 66.5 days back from 27 Mar is 21 Jan. From what I think I've understood from the leave AFI I actually need to final outprocess before taking terminal leave. Is that true or can terminal be used for outprocessing? Peblo said I could take TAPS while on terminal too which I'm not sure is accurate (I'm scheduled for TAPS 28 Jan-1Feb) since TAPS is required to final outprocess. I'm really confused now, and I think I just scr@#ed myself with leave, outprocessing and my work with the schedule. Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

I would not take the peblos advice, I’d do Taps now and outprocess ASAP. Your leave is for you to relax and enjoy and look for work/move, etc. I would not want to be doing all that on my leave time!!

I would not take the peblos advice, I’d do Taps now and outprocess ASAP. Your leave is for you to relax and enjoy and look for work/move, etc. I would not want to be doing all that on my leave time!!

Thanks for the reply! I really don't mind outprocessing on terminal leave, but is it even allowed? I wasn't saving all of my leave for terminal leave use; the med board and retirement were unexpected. I'm a night shift RN so I'm used to a crappy night schedule; having to go to a few day appts here and there (even if on leave) is okay to me. I'm just worried that I'm not actually allowed to while on terminal.

I out processed on government time! PTDY and (terminal) leave are for other things.

Hi all. I'm really confused about terminal leave and was hoping someone could clarify it for me. I met with my Peblo today, signed for my ratings and filled out the form for my orders information (I'm ADAF in 20.5 yrs MEB'd for migraines on botox). I put 27 Mar 19 for the date of separation on the form. My Peblo told me I could outprocess while on terminal leave. I have 45 days of leave now and will have 46.5 days by my separation date (taking some leave and accruing some). Peblo also said I'd get 20 days permissive for househunting, which puts me at 66.5 days total. 66.5 days back from 27 Mar is 21 Jan. From what I think I've understood from the leave AFI I actually need to final outprocess before taking terminal leave. Is that true or can terminal be used for outprocessing? Peblo said I could take TAPS while on terminal too which I'm not sure is accurate (I'm scheduled for TAPS 28 Jan-1Feb) since TAPS is required to final outprocess. I'm really confused now, and I think I just scr@#ed myself with leave, outprocessing and my work with the schedule. Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

Indeed, I definitely concur with all above feedback at this point in time!

To that extent, it seems that you still have ample amount of time while on military active duty in USAF to complete TAPS albeit you may need to consider reducing your total number of authorized Permissive TDY days (e.g., down to approximately 8 or 9 days; I believe) to allow for your TAPS attendance already scheduled from 28 Jan 19 to 1 Feb 19. The aforementioned course of action to reduce your permissive (e.g., free) days via TDY should accommodate for not having to use any terminal leave days to complete your military outprocessing (e.g., TAPS attendance requirement) prior to your 27 Mar 19 date of military separation at least in my opinion.

...I really don't mind outprocessing on terminal leave, but is it even allowed? I wasn't saving all of my leave for terminal leave use; the med board and retirement were unexpected. I'm a night shift RN so I'm used to a crappy night schedule; having to go to a few day appts here and there (even if on leave) is okay to me. I'm just worried that I'm not actually allowed to while on terminal.

Nonetheless in my experienced opinion, you should immediately make an additional inquiry with your AF military chain of command and/or an AFPC Retirements and Separations team to validate your assigned PEBLO's comment of "I could outprocess while on terminal leave" since you have some strong apprehensions at this point. Then, you shall be officially aware of the current AFI requirement(s) for AF outprocessing in conjunction with military leave (or vice versa) in order to make a well-informed decision for your own particular situation while in the DoD IDES process.

In retrospect at least from an U.S. Army perspective via my own experiences when in the DoD IDES process, it was feasible to out-process while on transitional leave when I made a similar inquiry to the Army Retirement Service Office (RSO) upon receipt of my military disability retirement orders. I was authorized a total of 90 days (e.g., 10 days outprocessing + 20 days PTDY + 60 days military leave) to complete all military required actions prior to the USAPDA published last day on military active duty. But, I had accumulated 91 military leave days and already sold 54 military leave days (during a previous active duty military enlistment contract) of the maximum 60 military leave days which can be sold during a military career. So, I sold back the remaining 6 military leave days, didn't/couldn't take any PTDY days, and had 5 days to perform all military outprocessing which actually became only 3 days due to the inclement weather (e.g., snow + ice) closing of the Army military installation. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!