The supervision of "high-risk" soldiers?

Swiper

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm curious about the responsibility of the unit to check on the welfare "high-risk" soldiers during their MEB process.

I have an anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, history of suicidal thoughts, diminished ability for self-care, and poor impulse control. I'm also on the Autism Spectrum which has a suicide rate 9 times the normal average. I live alone and have no family and friends network. According to the doctors, I should have no access to weapons. Last year, I was transported by ambulance for severe panic attacks.

What has the unit done? Absolutely nothing. Not even a phone call. I don't think they even know where I live.

I'm a little annoyed.

I just want to let you know that we are here if you ever need us. You also have access to Military One Source as well as 911 if there is an emergency.

Out of curiosity, when you say unit, do you mean your reserve unit, or are you active duty?

As a fellow soldier who has experienced doubts about their commend too, I just to reiterate that you are your own best advocate. If there is anything that you are in need of, do not hesitate to ask.

Good advise @gsfowler , unfortunately there are a lot of people in the same boat as you. There are many outlets for you through the VA, VFW, American Legion, etc. If you need help finding an outlet let me know via PM and I will help you find something in your area. We are not just here for advice, your fellow Vets are here to support you as well.

I'm on active duty, assigned to a Pentagon-level unit.

I'm so exhausted by what I have been going the last two years. I have been living under constant stress since January 2014 and there is no end in sight. I sought help from BH in August 2014 after being overwhelmed by anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts. In December 2014, I realized that I would never be able to overcome my problems and asked to be MEB boarded. BH agreed that I needed a complete lifestyle and that I shouldn't be in the military anymore. Yet, it took until October 2015 for the MEB process to be initiated.

It's basically this scenario: "Continued military service is harmful for you. Please wait two years for the red tape."

Go to BH and ask to go inpatient. This will both give you a break and force the command to do something.

Are you continuing to follow up with BH? Inpatient care can be a big stress relief and good mental vacation.

I was offered 72 hours inpatient, but I turned it down. I have too many pets to take care of at home. The idea of trying to get somebody to care for them in my absence was too overwhelming. I got 24 birds and two cats. It's not like I can just ask anybody to care for them. The amount of pets are another reason for me feeling completely overwhelmed. I got too many and its getting difficult to continuously care for them.

Back