This is alittle off topic (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program)

Sgt. JAMES GALLAGHER

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Okay, here is my question I have to see a case courser this coming thursday since i am 100 percent unemployable (permanently) do not fall under the five categorizes
  • Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, and interests for employment
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
  • Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
  • Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
  • On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
But the next three i kinda follow under the next three

what do i say to the case manager and trying to ---->Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school

• Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and medical referrals
  • Independent living services for Veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities
any help would appreciated
thank you

Has the VA rated you Unemloyable or just Permanent?

Permanent

Ok when the VA rates you permanent that doesnt mean you unemployable

Now if you feel that your unemployable because of your disability or if your Voc Rehab counselor feels that your unemployable i believe they will push you towards using the Independent Living Services instead of employment training or schooling

Ok when the VA rates you permanent that doesnt mean you unemployable

Now if you feel that your unemployable because of your disability or if your Voc Rehab counselor feels that your unemployable i believe they will push you towards using the Independent Living Services instead of employment training or schooling
Okay, I will let you know when I get done talking with the case manager this thursday..
thank you

They are typically very receptive to your wants and desires; They are there to make sure that your line of training will not conflict with your disabalities; The example that cleared it up for me was this;

Sgt Snuffy was medically retired for a bad back;
Sgt Snuffy wants to be a nurse;
VOC Rehab would find Sgt Snuffy ELIGIBLE for voc rehab, but not in nursing. (Nursing is on your feet alot and moving alot)
Therefor, Sgt Snuffy would work with the counselor to find an area of INTEREST within his ABILITIES so that they do not interfere with the DISABILITIES.

They are typically very receptive to your wants and desires; They are there to make sure that your line of training will not conflict with your disabalities; The example that cleared it up for me was this;

Sgt Snuffy was medically retired for a bad back;
Sgt Snuffy wants to be a nurse;
VOC Rehab would find Sgt Snuffy ELIGIBLE for voc rehab, but not in nursing. (Nursing is on your feet alot and moving alot)
Therefor, Sgt Snuffy would work with the counselor to find an area of INTEREST within his ABILITIES so that they do not interfere with the DISABILITIES.
Okay, I am going to ask what other benefits are out there for me..

Thank You

Money Blind

Money Blind[/quote]

So, how do you go about asking the things that one needs to improve Independent Living?

sorry for being pain in the ass about this, today was just a really rough day

thank you

All good questions! My uncle used Voc Rehab years ago to study cabinet making and wood working as personal study. He now does that for giggles for people, it keeps him busy aside from his daily fishing adventures! :)

Money Blind

So, how do you go about asking the things that one needs to improve Independent Living?

thank you[/quote]
Sgt Gallagher,

I am in Voc Rehab awaiting arrival of items to help with independent living. Your counselor will refer your case to an Independent Living Assessment (ILA) and then they will send an independent contractor out to your house to evaluate. The contractor will ask questions and tour your house to make sure that you get everything that you need to improve your quality of life and help you to get around and do things on your own. Then, that report will go back to your counselor who will work to get you everything you need. It's really a great program and it does not take away from your GI Bill at all.

Speaking of GI Bill, you can also utilize that to go back to school while you are doing the ILA and getting your stuff. That is what I am doing right now. That was big relief to me because I was pretty bummed out when the counselor said that they wouldn't send me back to school. The counselor and the contractor have both been really nice and seem to genuinely care about you and getting you whatever help they can provide.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the information .

thank you
Sgt Gallagher,

I am in Voc Rehab awaiting arrival of items to help with independent living. Your counselor will refer your case to an Independent Living Assessment (ILA) and then they will send an independent contractor out to your house to evaluate. The contractor will ask questions and tour your house to make sure that you get everything that you need to improve your quality of life and help you to get around and do things on your own. Then, that report will go back to your counselor who will work to get you everything you need. It's really a great program and it does not take away from your GI Bill at all.

Speaking of GI Bill, you can also utilize that to go back to school while you are doing the ILA and getting your stuff. That is what I am doing right now. That was big relief to me because I was pretty bummed out when the counselor said that they wouldn't send me back to school. The counselor and the contractor have both been really nice and seem to genuinely care about you and getting you whatever help they can provide.

Hope this helps![/quote]