Time To Go Through The VA

builtgypsy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm thinking that now that everything's down in my medical record, I can take it to the VA RO and start a claim. What say ye? Too soon?

Make sure you got everything!!!
I did mine and there it just seems like one thing after another its not that my conditions got worse its a simple fact as to now im am starting to get better/more accurate documention about my case. For example braces/wheel chair and letter from my PLT SGT stateing how i am a burden on everyone in my PLT becuase of my conditions but i am an outstanding soldier. So i would just make sure you all your info is the best it can get then go and do it.

I thought you take the C&P exam through a VA doctor and you can elaborate on anything that's in your record there.

Your right but in my case they have came up with alot of information since I did my exam. Alot of the stuff they came up with really describes the severity of all my conditions so if you think about it the VA doesn't have all the information what would best represent me as a veteran.
By they way have fun getting your bum hole violated at the C&P exam. I asked to opt out of that part and they said it makes the whole evaluation invalid. so... have fun:D

No one's every mentioned that part of it before. A sneak peak of life in your 40's? :eek:

BG,

I wouldn't use the phrase sneak peak in this context. ;)

I agree with Jason "Sneak Peak" is not a good use of words in this context. But from what they told me, we get the privilige to have it done time and time agian at every phyical they give us.

HA! :)

At least I know it won't be the highlight of either of our's day. I just hope he doesn't have a sense of humor. At that moment in my life, the last thing I need is a magic quarter trick.

I have my medical records complete... I think. However, I would like to get them reviewed by a new set of eyes to be sure everything is at it's best. Does anyone have a recommendation? Local VA rep maybe? I am not a member of VFW or any others.. I imagine I should be.

Having been thru the VA system, which is different than PDES, I suggest you learn the system and handle your claim your self. The saying "Nobody cares about your claim as much as you do" is true. Also the VA system has a "Duty to assist". They have to tell you what they need when they need it. Since this is now the agency you will be dealing with for your disability from now on and your rating can go up as your conditions get worse over time, it is in your best interest to know the process inside and out.

There is another site that Jason and Maparker both comment at called VBN, Veterans Benefit Network, and it is more geared toward the VA.

Yuku | VBN - Message Board

As the PEBFORUM is THE source for the DOD PDES, the VBN has alot of VA related info. I have used a combination of the two and see the experts like I said before (Jason and Maparker) comment on VBN also.

I have used DAV as my service org in the past, however, I now do my own VA work, and recommend you at least know how to do your own even if you have a service org do it so you know if it is being done correctly.

IF I can be of assistance feel free to PM me, however I am a rookie in comparison to others who will be more than willing to give advice.

And if all else fails........do what I do....yell JASON!!! HELP!!!!

Stu

Thanks for the insight Stu. Although I am not out of the Army yet, I have been advised to start the VA process. After my post last night I went looking for other webs related to VA claims and found www.hadit.com
Many of the articles published on this site are claimed to be by various VA employees. They cover many of the items that need to be dealt with in a step by step format.

It seems as time goes on I need training at a slower pace. First place your toes in the shoe, next place your heal in the shoe, etc.

Thanks again!

I too use HADIT, however I find myself at VBN more often, and use HADIT for harder issues, I do however make it to each of them everyday.

You should be able to find a benefit pamphlet about the VA program that lets you start the process while on active duty to get a head start, I can't remember the acronym, BDO, DBO, BOD?

Basically so your VA benefits start as soon as possilble upon discharge. I know at the FT Knox Central Exam station they have them right at the check in desk, and in the PEBLO's office.

Stu