TIMELINE: MEB THROUGH PEB

The question on most of our minds is this:

How long is it all going to take?

This is an attempt to answer that question, but it's going to take all of us to do it. The idea is to give a very detailed account of the timeline of each person's case. It's one thing to say "in February I was tumpy tumpy" but there's a world of difference and two pay periods between the beginning of the month and end of it.

Somwhere there's the theory if the sample population (ours here) is large enough, it comes to represent the whole (all military members going through this). If there are enough people who take notes and are good at remembering dates, or do like I do and keep a monthly planner you can keep notes in, then it would go a long way to easing others' minds about how long they should really expect things to take.

I want to thank you all for participating!

-Guy

Just some. As of last week, I believe the number given in Senate testimony was they had 65 Navy cases. So, it is more likely you are not. But, moreover, they would have told you that you are part of the program.

OK, So based on what I have provided here in timelines and info (there is so much more of course) what are my next steps? I just don't know what they expect me to do next.

OK, So based on what I have provided here in timelines and info (there is so much more of course) what are my next steps? I just don't know what they expect me to do next.

I would check with your PEBLO to verify for sure if you are part of the pilot program. If you are not, I recommend asking to be apart of it. It may take a bit longer, but for me it has been very benificial so far. Any day now I'll be receiving my results from the IPEB.

Just some. As of last week, I believe the number given in Senate testimony was they had 65 Navy cases. So, it is more likely you are not. But, moreover, they would have told you that you are part of the program.

My situation is a little different as I want to be found fit for duty. I am stationed at the pentagon and could not get out of the Pilot program. As a MEB dictation started me in the process in theory under the old system I could have been to a PEB and done in about 14 days.

Timeline so far: 12 Mar Case Sent to MEB
17 Mar Meet with PEBLO (5 Days)
24 Mar meet with VA (12 Daysl)
3 Apr VA Appontment (22 Dyas)

Is there an easy way to determine who my PEBLO would be? I had a contact when I was hanled out of Jacksonville when I was part of REDCOM Southeast but not sure who it is at Andrews AFB. They have not given me a name to talk with.

Have you called the MTF where you original PEBLO was at and asked if they know who it was transferred to, or if there's an MTF around Andrews, have you called them?

They told me on Friday since the paper work had not been submitted to Bethesda that a PEBLO had not been assigned. I am trying to help them receive the LOD folder from my previous command so they can get everything updated and then submitt them.

I was just informed by my PEBLO that the IPEB is three months behind. My package has been at AFPC since April. Now I wont get a reply from the IPEB until Jul. I was told also that they (IPEB) have been receiving more cases than ever before.

Hey, I'm right there with you in frustration. Mine has been there since the middle of April and I'm apart of the DES Pilot program, which says the IPEB will be complete in 15 days. I'm sure you and I are sharing the same feelings on this. Its hard to plan your life around this. Any day you could get a call that the military is not keeping you in. Then you have a very short amount of time to scamble to get everything together. Not knowing is the worst part. I don't know whether to move my wife home early so she can get a job first and I don't want to apply for employment because I don't know if I'm going to be out for sure. This sucks!

Surfer495,

I totally agree with everthing you mentioned. I have a family too. I hope I get an answer in Jul or at least Aug because my lease will be up in Sept, and they do not allow month to month leases (only one year leases). They require a 30 day notice (NO EXCEPTIONS) before any breaks in leases (they're really strict here because so many people break their leases and move out during the night). My spouse recently retired and would like some certainty to apply for employment. The long wait just seems so unfair! Our entire life is on a 3 month hold!!

All we can do at this point is pray and hope for the best. Today is day 37 at the IPEB so I just don't know anymore. With our packages at the IPEB, this leaves nothing more we can do on our own to get our packages going...so I guess no more calls to the PEBLO to ask whats next and keep the ball going. Now, we wait.

On the house thing, I wouldn't worry too much about that because there is something to do with a military clause that is suppose to be in all leases. To my understanding, any orders you get like a TDY of 3 months or so, or sep/ret stuff, you should be able to break your lease. Hopefully someone else on here can shed more light on the subject. Be sure to check with someone from your housing office. Even if you don't live in base housing, they are still there to assist military members with their housing situations.

From the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Termination of Leases by Lessees[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Section 304[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](50 U.S.C. App. § 534)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](1) The provisions of this section shall apply to any lease covering premises occupied for dwelling, professional, business, agricultural, or similar purposes in any case in which (a) such lease was executed by or on the behalf of a person who, after the execution of such lease, entered military service, and (b) the premises so leased have been occupied for such purposes, or for a combination of such purposes, by such person or by him and his dependents.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](2) Any such lease may be terminated by notice in writing delivered to the lessor (or his grantee) or to the lessor's (or his grantee's) agent by the lessee at any time following the date of the beginning of his period of military service. Delivery of such notice may be accomplished by placing it in an envelope properly stamped and duly addressed to the lessor (or his grantee) or to the lessor's (or his grantee's) agent and depositing the notice in the United States mails. Termination of any such lease providing for monthly payment of rent shall not be effective until thirty days after the first date on which the next rental payment is due and payable subsequent to the date when such notice is delivered or mailed. In the case of all other leases, termination shall be effected on the last day of the month following the month in which such notice is delivered or mailed and in such case any unpaid rental for a period preceding termination shall be proratably computed and any rental paid in advance for a period succeeding termination shall be refunded by the lessor (or his assignee). Upon application by the lessor to the appropriate court prior to the termination period provided for in the notice, any relief granted in this subsection shall be subject to such modifications or restrictions as in the opinion of the court justice and equity may in the circumstances require.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](3) Any person who shall knowingly seize, hold, or detain the personal effects, clothing, furniture, or other property of any person who has lawfully terminated a lease covered by this section, or in any manner interfere with the removal of such property from the premises covered by such lease, for the purpose of subjecting or attempting to subject any of such property to a claim for rent accruing subsequent to the date of termination of such lease, or attempts so to do, shall be fined as provided in title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned not to exceed one year, or both. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I would see if your state is required to have the military clause for renting. In California, for instance, it's not statutory and has to be negotiated.[/FONT]

Surfer495 & Builtgypsy,

Thank you for your quick replies. They are very helpful. It's good to have someone to vent to who understands!

• November 03 - Diagnosed with Mod Persistant Asthma
  • Moved from Sea to Shore duty for Testing/Changing Meds/trying to stay on Submarines
  • February 05 - Placed on Limited Duty
  • August 05 - Removed from Limited Duty Fit for full duty?? no restrictions??? Force converted due to "Sutability Screening"
  • August 05 to December 07 - Conversion acceptance and training (painful experiance)
  • March 08 - Experiance asthma related episode and chronic cough since early January
  • April 08 - Placed on Limited Duty
  • May 22 2008 - Started MEB
  • June 02 2008 - NMA Started (From present command NOT pervious like stated in the instruction)
  • June 13 2008 (22 Days)- Submission date. Told that cases are taking about 3 weeks to 1 month for an answer.....

Hello everyone,

I just got my results: 80% Temporary Retirement

VASRD #'s used: 7000 (Heart Condition) 8100 (Prostrating Migraines).

Timeline:

10 Apr 2008 MEB
11 Apr 2008 Signed IMT Form 618
11 Apr 2008 Package mailed to AFPC
17 Apr 2008 AFPC confirmed receipt
27 May 2008 AFPC completed AF Form 356
3 June 2008 PEBLO called me to sign results (results on AF Form 356)

It took about 7 1/2 weeks from the date the MEB met. Now that it is over, the wait didn't seem too bad. Good luck to everyone. This site really got me through the process. A special thank you goes to Jason!:)

Purple,

Congratulations on another success story! It is my pleasure to help folks like you and I hope you have a succesful transition.

I hope you will check back from time to time and let us know how things are going for you. And remember to share this site with anyone who might benefit!

Jason,

Thank you, and I will diffinately check in from time to time. I have to figure out how the TDRL will work out...can I try to work if I'm able part time??? I know am unable to work a full day due to my health at this point.

Congrats on finally getting your results. At least its done now...and I guess they are not 3 months behind like you and I thought before which is really good news. With your package done, my results must be coming right behind yours, hopefully. Good luck with the transition.

Surfer495,

Thank you. I wonder if I was told they were 3 months behind so I would not call again...

Congratulations! Seven and a half weeks, wow, that's not half bad. :)