Timeline: Pituitary Brain Tumor

AWO2Hawaii

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Before I post my current timeline, I would like to say that anybody going through Endocrinology or Neurology with special physical status (I.E. Aircrewman), you can expect a longer than usual timeline, especially if you undergo surgery that disqualifies your duty status (I.E. Flight Duty).

18AUG17: Diagnosed Galactorrhea of Breasts. Blood Tests Results: Hyperprolactinemia, Low Testosterone.
08NOV17: MRI: Benign Neoplasm of Pituitary Gland
11JAN18: Flight Down Status (Annual Flight Physical)
01MAY18: 1st LIMDU Period
05JUL18: MRI: Enlargement, Neoplasm of Pituitary Gland
26SEP18: Brain Surgery, Removal of Neoplasm
15OCT18: MEB initiated
05NOV18: Initial PEBLO Meeting
14NOV18: Initial VA Claims Meeting
23NOV18: C&P Exams
11DEC18: C&P Results Received
12DEC18: Flight Physical (Aviation Disqualified)
19DEC18: PEBLO Review/Package sent to PEB
05JAN19: PEB Forwarded to VA Disability for Ratings

So that's where I'm currently at. No word about an "Unfit" status, but with the loss of my aviation status I'm sure that's heavy on consideration. Anyways, I know some of you may be interested in the claims associated so I'll post them down below. Hoping to hear more soon!

Diagnosis: Benign Neoplasm of Pituitary Gland
Diagnosis: Hyperprolactinemia Diagnosis: Other Suspected Endocrine Disorder
Diagnosis: Migraine, Unspecified, Not Intractable, with Status Migrainosus
Diagnosis: Hypertension
Diagnosis: Testicular Hypofunction
Diagnosis: Decreased Libido
Diagnosis: Male Infertility, Unspecified
Diagnosis: Abnormal Weight Gain
Diagnosis: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (Adult) (Pediatric)
Diagnosis: Patellar Maltracking (Right Knee)
Diagnosis: Mild Proximal Patellar Tendinosis
Diagnosis: Low Back Pain (Weight Gain Relatable)
Diagnosis: Allergic Rhinitis, Unspecified
Diagnosis: Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood
Diagnosis: Hypertrophy of Breasts (Gynecomastia)
Diagnosis: Galactorrhea of Breasts

If they sent it to the VA your most likely Unfit , you can Call the PEB and ask as well, google their number

Thank you! I figured as such from the information I've gathered. I did find it strange my PEBLO didn't just tell me more information when they passed the update. I'll have to give the PEB a call.

I am sorry to hear about your health and being DNIF. The resources page of this website contains your service's guidance on retention.
Best wishes.

Anyone have a current estimated timeline on VA Close out after receipt? VA received my claim October 30th, 2018. However, my PEB forwarded my results to the VA on January 5th, 2019. As of the February 20th, 2019 update it is currently in the Evidence gathering, review and decision phase. I submitted the 5103 Notice agreement this week as they have not requested any more information and do not need any digital paperwork that is not included in my physical package.

I'm just waiting. PEBLO said 2-3 weeks on January 5th, 2019. It has been way longer, but I'm assuming that is due to my lengthy amount of claims.

I was able to confirm my 'UNFIT" status by calling the PEB.

Also, does anyone know the process of what exactly happens after I receive the ratings? When do they notify the administration side for separation/retirement and rumor is there is a 90 day notice? That's assuming I sign the results without sending a rebuttal.

I’ve been waiting for a while to, it says on ebenifits that it was received on nov 26, but unfortunately there isn’t a majic number. How many claims did you send up if you don’t mind me asking?

I'll just copy and paste my VA info to make it easy:

What you’ve claimed
  • ref- benign neoplasm of pituitary gland (New)
  • adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood (New)
  • hyperprolactinemia (New)
  • other endocrine disorder (New)
  • migraine unspecified (New)
  • hypertension (New)
  • testicular hypofunction; male infertility (New)
  • bilateral ringing in ears (New)
  • obstructive sleep apnea w/ sleep study (New)
  • bilateral knee condition (New)
  • allergic rhinitis (New)
  • lower back pain (New)
  • bilateral gynecomastia; galactorrhea (New)
  • bilateral blurry vision (New)
  • dependency spouse Harmonie Yaeger (New)
Date Received: Oct. 30, 2018

Update:

26SEP18: Brain Surgery, Removal of Tumor
21MAR19: VA Rating Evaluation Complete, Waiting for VA Decision Approval

From here my PEBLO expects my paperwork to be reviewed by D.C. within the next 2-3 weeks. Hoping for good news.

Is there anyway I can see my VA ratings before then once they get decision approval?

Unfortunately no, they are really strict on that now because it’s like not really set yet.

Unfortunately no, they are really strict on that now because it’s like not really set yet.

However, I've seen timelines where it transitions from Decision Approval to Closed in under a week. Is that the same for an IDES case?

Basically, if it closes will I be able to see my ratings on Ebennifits or do I have to wait till my official PEB is closed out?

Update:

26SEP18: Brain Surgery, Removal of Tumor
21MAR19: VA Rating Evaluation Complete, Waiting for VA Decision Approval
22MAR19: Claim(s) are closed, VA Letter has been sent.

Now I'm just waiting for eBenefits to update there website so I can view the results.

Am I able to do that before my results go back to Washington DC for PEB review? My case is closed on eBenefits... just patiently waiting. How did you go about requesting a letter via fax.

Once I seen that they sent me a letter, I waited and waited on the like 7th day I called and said I didn’t get a letter and ebenifits isn’t up to date then they will ask if you want it resent, or faxed

FWIW, I called today for the same reason, but this person wouldn't send until 10 "mailing days" have passed, i.e. every day but sunday.

FWIW, I called today for the same reason, but this person wouldn't send until 10 "mailing days" have passed, i.e. every day but sunday.

I can confirm this, just spoke to an agent. They told me I must wait 7 business days before they can fax it. Sad day... Guess I'll wait.

Is there absolutely no other way to view those proposed ratings?

I can confirm this, just spoke to an agent. They told me I must wait 7 business days before they can fax it. Sad day... Guess I'll wait.

Is there absolutely no other way to view those proposed ratings?
Some people seem to get the VA proposed rating from their PEBLO before the PEB is finished, but said she will be in touch only when both VA and DoD ratings are ready for my signature.

Some people seem to get the VA proposed rating from their PEBLO before the PEB is finished, but said she will be in touch only when both VA and DoD ratings are ready for my signature.

Unfortunately I contacted my PEBLO and she told me to wait till the PEB is concluded to see both DOD and VA proposed ratings.

So I've waited the 10 business days required before they can fax it. My VA.gov shows that my case is closed, however my eBenifits shows my claim is Pending Decision Approval. When I called the VA help center, they told me my claim is still open so they have nothing to fax me? Is VA.gov showing the wrong info? Or is it different for active duty personnel going through the IDES/PEB program? I'm assuming since my ratings are "proposed" and not final that they won't send them to me before the PEB results anyways?