Timeline - PTSD - NEED CLARITY!

AirForce Steven

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

A bit of background.. I am 5 years active duty Air Force and began seeing mental health around the tail end of September 2020. I initially went in for very bad anxiety (panic attacks, obsessive thinking, inability to focus, etc.) After bouncing me around two or three medications and attending weekly meetings with my therapist I was recommended for a medical TDY to a civilian-owned outpatient program which I am at currently (19 November 2020). The Psychiatrist here diagnosed me with Chronic PTSD which I should have expected due to the trauma that occurred months before I began experiencing bad anxiety. Both the civilian psychiatrist and the commander back at my home station mental health clinic reassured me that this isn't necessarily a career-ender and to continue on with the program. Not knowing what could progress from here is actually driving my anxiety crazy and I would really appreciate any guidance, recommendations, or anything anyone can offer from experience. Is it likely that I will be recommended for MEB and my doctors are just trying to throw a security blanket on me for now? If I am not recommended for MEB when I return home, what other treatment options will they offer me? What should I be expecting? I really appreciate any feedback ahead of time and if you would like to ask me questions to better assist me please do. Thank you.

I was in treatment and hospitalized 2 times over the course of 5 years before being referred for a MEB. Three months of treatment isn't very much. It can take up to six weeks just to know if a medication is going to work. I would just concentrate on treatment for now and not worry about an MEB yet.

Good morning AirForce Steven,

It is possible that you could become MEB'd for the condition, but PTSD even Chronic is treatable and will require time to know if medication/treatment is working. I was originally diagnosed with an Adjustment Disorder ("Unofficial PTSD) during a deployed in 2013. I was med boarded and suited fit for continued service. Until 2020, I had not been seeking any formal mental health treatment and had been going to military one source. I was also self-medicating with caffeine and alcohol. It was not until my third time in the hospital did I get diagnosed with Chronic-PTSD, Major Depression, and Generalized Anxiety. The only form of medication I was on was Prozac and Inderal at the time. My fourth visit to the hospital and stay in partial hospitalization did I get a further diagnosis of Chronic - PTSD, Unspecified Bipolar, GAD & Social Phobia. Once diagnosed with Bipolar and placed on Seroquel, the med board process started. This was nearly 6 months after my first visit to the hospital and being on Prozac, Inderal, and Seroquel. My fifth stay in the hospital as inpatient triggered a urgent processing of my MEB and I was officially diagnosed with Chronic-PTSD, BPAD (Mixed Features), GAD & Social Phobia and updated medications of Lithium, Seroquel, Prozac, Inderal & Hydroxyzine. Like LJK1968 stated, the process could be long and you should be focused at the moment on treatment. Trust me, MH has been very forth coming and has assisted me during the process, so I could only imagine you will be assistance too.

Focus on treatment. The success of treatment determines your future. PTSD can or can not result in PEB. Low intensity PTSD will result in retention. When I say the success of treatment determines your future, I mean in or out of the AF. Being mentally well is highly associated with a better life. Focus on treatment.