Title 32 Technician Medical Retirement Scenarios (Please limit posts to "Technician Medical Retirements")

This tread was created to discuss Title 32 Technician Medical Retirement Scenarios (Please limit posts to "Technician Medical Retirements").

The first paragraph of the initial post: "I'm a dual status Title 32 technician. I have 18 years total of Guard service (4000 points total includes both M-Day and Title 10 time.) I have three active duty mobilizations. I started as a tech in 2014, buying back my time to November of 2011, so I'm going on 9 years as a tech. I've reached a point where I'm unlikely to be able to deploy again if the situation arises. As a tech, I'm concerned about my livelihood should I get out on the military side since I'd also lose my tech job. I understand that if I get discharged medically on the military side that I'll be eligible for a technician medical disability retirement (at 40% of my high three, I think). Currently at 60% VA disability. I'm hoping to get a better idea of where things go if I pull the trigger and go the MEB route, which may be in the next 12-24 months. "

If you want to discuss another subject, please start your own thread. Instructions for posting new thread LINK <---

Ron
cc: @Guardguy11

UPDATE:

New information regarding title 32 technicians.

Attachments

• 47159F6C-9940-4AC3-BAB8-30C7854DDF3A.png
    47159F6C-9940-4AC3-BAB8-30C7854DDF3A.png
    304.3 KB · Views: 41
So does that mean you get disability from that date?

The disability retirement starts when you have disability retirement orders cut.
What I posted was a change in the way technicians are separated from federal employment. When I was medically separated from the Guard, you were allowed to remain a federal technician until OPM received your retirement application. For me it was about 4 more months in civilian clothes and a beard of course.

This change only allows 30 days of continued employment after loss of military membership.

The federal disability retirement starts when OPM has approved your retirement application. With this new regulation you will be out of federal employment, sitting at home, waiting and hoping your retirement application is correctly filled out.
When you are separated from employment, it becomes harder to get anything done because you no longer have access to many of the resources. I could see the technician making many trips back to HR to correct issues and have questions answered.

The federal disability retirement starts when OPM has approved your retirement application. With this new regulation you will be out of federal employment, sitting at home, waiting and hoping your retirement application is correctly filled out.
When you are separated from employment, it becomes harder to get anything done because you no longer have access to many of the resources. I could see the technician making many trips back to HR to correct issues and have questions answered.

So basically the time between seperation from T32 and when opm approves your disability you are SOL? No pay?

Historically, the 15 year Notice of Eligibility was enacted in 1999 for physical disabilities not incurred in the line of duty per Title 10 USC 12731B. Title 10 USC 12731b, Special Rule for Members with Physical Disabilities Not Incurred in the Line of Duty, governs issuance of the 15 year Notification of Eligibility (NOE) letter. In the case of a member of the Selected Reserve of a reserve component who no longer meets the qualifications for membership in the Selected Reserve solely because the member is unfit because of physical disability, the Secretary concerned may, for purposes of section 12731 of this title, determine to treat the member as having met the service requirements of subsection (a)(2) of that section and provide the member with the notification required by subsection (d) of that section if the member has completed at least 15, and less than 20, years of service computed under section 12732 of this title. The Selected Reserves is comprised of Troop Program Units (TPU), Individual Mobilization Augmentees (IMA), or Active Guard Reserve (AGR). Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) Soldiers are not eligible for the 15 year NOE.

Last edited:
So basically the time between seperation from T32 and when opm approves your disability you are SOL? No pay?

That’s an excellent question! I don’t know of any tech’s that have separated since the regulation was enacted. The HR department tells you when your leaving. When I separated I had OPM’s approval and HR said my last working day was the last day of that pay period after receiving my letter of separation. I received my last paycheck two weeks later along with my remaining annual leave balance. It was a healthy check and Uncle Sugar took his share. I left late October 2019 and OPM sent the first partial payment in December.

That’s an excellent question! I don’t know of any tech’s that have separated since the regulation was enacted. The HR department tells you when your leaving. When I separated I had OPM’s approval and HR said my last working day was the last day of that pay period after receiving my letter of separation. I received my last paycheck two weeks later along with my remaining annual leave balance. It was a healthy check and Uncle Sugar took his share. I left late October 2019 and OPM sent the first partial payment in December.
We have had a few guys in my shop take 6-8 months after mil sep, to be fed tech sep. It would suck to not get paid for that long

We have had a few guys in my shop take 6-8 months after mil sep, to be fed tech sep. It would suck to not get paid for that long

It all depends on if the tech drags their feet or not. I’ve seen some stay as long as two years before separating. I can happen in as little as four months. But now, thirty days is what is given. On the federal side of the house, OPM makes the technician apply for social security twice before the disability retirement is approved. Then the disability retirement gets denied and you have to reapply under Special Provisions of Public Law 97-253 because of T32 status. T5 positions aren’t afford this option. It’s a messed up process that I wouldn’t like to navigate from home.

It all depends on if the tech drags their feet or not. I’ve seen some stay as long as two years before separating. I can happen in as little as four months. But now, thirty days is what is given. On the federal side of the house, OPM makes the technician apply for social security twice before the disability retirement is approved. Then the disability retirement gets denied and you have to reapply under Special Provisions of Public Law 97-253 because of T32 status. T5 positions aren’t afford this option. It’s a messed up process that I wouldn’t like to navigate from home.
Ill have to talk to HR when i get to work tomorrow

Ill have to talk to HR when i get to work tomorrow

Some other helpful information:

1. Ask your HR if they have a retirement guide or checklist that you can get started.

2. Ask if can you start filling out the disability retirement application now.
Print your whole My Blue medical record from My Health eVet and send it with your application. OPM no longer accepts the retirement orders or DA199 as medical proof. If you don’t send the medical records the application will be denied. Also send outside medical documentation if you have any.

3. Apply for social security disability now, it’s a long application (15+ pages). This can be done electronically on the SSA website. Keep a copy because you will have to apply twice. You’ll need to wait for SSA to contact you and deny you benefits (most likely) and mail you a denial letter. This letter must accompany your OPM application. Once your application has been approved you’ll file again. If awarded it will offset your annuity, you’ll get some SS and some annuity until 62 yrs old.

4. Make copies of proof of buy back time and send with application.

5. IMPORTANT!!! If married, make a decision of whether to leave a survivor benefit and how much. This can be waived with a notarized form with spouses signature and witness. If waived spouse will not have federal health benefits after you pass on. If you elect to leave SBP on the military side you may not want to leave SB on the federal side, but you need to think about health benefits.

6. When separated from the military you’ll lose SGLI. With any PTDS it’s hard to pick up life insurance. I opted for VGLI, no medical exam if you elect before their time frame expires, you just can’t have anymore than the amount of SGLI you had before. You have a couple months to decide this, but definitely check into.

7. Set up an external email account that DFAS and OPM can contact you at. G mail works good for this and is free. Send anything from your work email to this account to have it on digits. At some point during your last few days you will lose email, printer and scanner privileges.

8. Put in a ticket with your computer people a have your .civ email account setup.

9. Ask about when you should expect your NGB 22. Mine show up in HRC after I left federal service. But inquire about, it’s the same as a DD 214 but for the guard.

10. There is way more that I couldn’t remember, but ask away and I’ll see if I can help.

Quiz other technicians that are further in the process

A guy I work with separated from the military end of April and he is working on the base still. I hope I'm not let go after a month it takes OPM months to process it seems. I'll just try to have my stuff in order best I can

I just talked with HR and confirmed this, was changed and of june. You get 30 days to seperate, she said opm is currently 3ish months then about 6 weeks to get paid, and would be backdated to your last pay date.

That's a really good thing to get back pay. But 3 to 4 months of no pay means better have a job lined up or save some money. I should have a few months tell I separate I'm gonna save more. I have a question if I have over 15 years military do I get a retirement (as in ID and base access) or is that only at 20 years?

That's a really good thing to get back pay. But 3 to 4 months of no pay means better have a job lined up or save some money. I should have a few months tell I separate I'm gonna save more. I have a question if I have over 15 years military do I get a retirement (as in ID and base access) or is that only at 20 years?

stevenveteran covered this in post 47.

I believe legislation was past that allows all disable veterans to have Post and PX privileges. I’m unsure about the color of ID card, without 20 good yrs you maybe consider gray area. If you qualify for a military disability retirement I would think it would be blue. Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this.

Last edited:
I just talked with HR and confirmed this, was changed and of june. You get 30 days to seperate, she said opm is currently 3ish months then about 6 weeks to get paid, and would be backdated to your last pay date.

Your HR has it partially right, OPM pays part (about 75%) of your Annuity each month when it starts. They call this payment an Interim monthly payment. And the withheld amount (the remainder of your Annuity) is held in escrow to make FEHB, FEGLI, SB, Long term health insurance and whatever else you elect on your disability application. I retired before Covid-19 and was nine months before I received my full 60% disability annuity, maybe a little longer to process applications in this current environment. Also you have to figure out your own federal and state tax withholding.

And with all that at your twelve month anniversary your Annuity falls to 40% of your high three and you get to figure all your taxes out again.

It’s not that bad but it definitely take planning and saving.

A guy I work with separated from the military end of April and he is working on the base still. I hope I'm not let go after a month it takes OPM months to process it seems. I'll just try to have my stuff in order best I can

BLUF

“Supervisors must remain aware of changes in the military membership status of their T32 Mil Techs, and must forward military separation information/documentation to HRO immediately upon receipt.

Mil Techs are responsible to immediately inform their supervisor if they have, or will have, a pending loss of military membership.”

BLUF

“Supervisors must remain aware of changes in the military membership status of their T32 Mil Techs, and must forward military separation information/documentation to HRO immediately upon receipt.

Mil Techs are responsible to immediately inform their supervisor if they have, or will have, a pending loss of military membership.”
I will let my supervisor know soon. I'm not sure if I should wait tell they find me fit or unfit to let them know. But I would hate if I screwed myself cause I didn't want them to know.

I will let my supervisor know soon. I'm not sure if I should wait tell they find me fit or unfit to let them know. But I would hate if I screwed myself cause I didn't want them to know.

You haven’t lost your military membership until you get separation orders of some type, but I would let the supervisor know about a MEB.