TO ANYONE WHO SERVED AT FOB HAMMER, IRAQ

I read all of this today and just so happened to have came across these files a while back. I'm not sure how valid they are, but it may help some of y'all.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1518028534964.jpg
    FB_IMG_1518028534964.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 29
  • FB_IMG_1518028502021.jpg
    FB_IMG_1518028502021.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 32
I was also on FOB hammer from nov 08 thru july 09. Since returning from that deployment i have had breathing problems chest pain an devolped myself a case of bullous pemphigoid (median age for this disease is 80!!!!!) What ventimiglia had to say really got to me i ahve also devoloped a speech impediment not stuttering but i say something comes out like mush and i was was a proficient typer and now most words come out jumbled and mixed up(gotta reread most things). Had a chest xray and like above was just told i will get a calll if anything is wrong (yeah right). got another xray with my phase one hopefully someone will look at it this time
This post is so old but I was wondering how your situation came out. I was also in Iraq ( in Tikrit) around this time and have Bullous.

heyy i stopped there with my guys and lm say wonderful place to eat when youre not use to it 09-10 we were on a jss down the road some mornings we. would get either the down winds from the tannery or the brick factory and lm say would.make ya gag

Do not have much sadly add to this post- except to say, documentation wise, it makes one think of the role and usefulness of Unit Historians, in matters such as this whose sole job is in fact to collect and compile Unit Combat Action Reports, LOG Books, Pictures, Video Clips, etc... and compile them for future generations of war fighter's..... if for nothing else Lessons Learned....?????

In cases such as this would, obviously, assist tremendously....

Had to look up location of FOB Hammer, and brought back not so good memories.... but we submitted almost all reports time in Iraq electronically, and this makes one simply wonder how much- items/documentation that may assist veterans of OEF/OIF, exposure related- was simply lost forever to the "ionosphere" so to speak.....

Simply remember talking a guy, whom claims once saw a beyond "awesome" PPT Presentation (someone really earned their PPT Tab kind of thing)- electronic copy only- on human terrain of Region Assigned- all tribes, religious sects, clans, etc... (simply more than anyone would want to know in this particular regard) and simply allegedly tasked, another officer, to get a copy a very short while after, but it- "poof"- supposedly disappeared that quickly to the "ionosphere" as was in format digital only and could not allegedly be recovered.....

Wonder what other's think about Unit Historians and their usefulness in regards issues such as this Thread......?????

PS: In movie "Patton" starring George C. Scott, film-makers keep going back German Wehrmacht Historian at German High Command HQ Bunker in Berlin or somewhere, called in to "profile" Patton so to speak.... most likely was a Historian, utilized this purpose if film true on this issue, as "psychology-psychiatry" at time still still in fledgling stages of development......

I would also highly recommend taking a look a the "Veterans Benefit's Manual-2015" pages 210-213 where talking about Exposure Iraq and Afghanistan... and certain cases veterans "lay" statement of exposure is valid to fully support a Positive a claim finding....might hopefully prove useful, especially those with cancer no explainable reason....?????

Last edited:
I would also highly recommend taking a look a the "Veterans Benefit's Manual-2015" pages 210-213 where talking about Exposure Iraq and Afghanistan... and certain cases veterans "lay" statement of exposure is valid to fully support a Positive a claim finding....might hopefully prove useful, especially those with cancer no explainable reason....?????

I would try and write some of what is contained on pages 210-213 of the above mentioned "Veterans Benefit's Manual-2015"; but rather lenghty, and I am also not an attorney! However, hopefully this manual or a version- hopefully more up to date- by the NVLSP (see for example only web-address: NVLSP ) can be found in one's local city Library or if one's US DVA Facilities, if have a Library, there as well.....

Think these pages might provide quite some usefulness those with issues addressed this Thread.... hope this helps someone out there.....???????

[SIZE=3]11bin3id[/SIZE]- sorry a couple of years late here, but hopefully your friend got the best treatment could with her cancer????

On that score, I have personally met veterans, various places, whom lives were in fact saved at US DVA Facilities in Houston Texas specializing in cancer treatment! So, going on, as you wrote, more most likely get sick due exposure issues, etc.... thought would provide link Houston VAMC- think- right one:

Hematology-Oncology Section - Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas "Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas" and below copied/cited in "italics" for listed web-site:

"Hematology-Oncology Section
MEDVAMC Image
The Cancer Program at the Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center seeks to improve the care of cancer patients by providing state-of-the-art diagnosis, treatment, and supportive care services."

Scheduling and Canceling Appointments
Chemotherapy appointments: 713-794-7362
Clinic appointments: 713-791-1414 x 5919

Leave name, social security number, telephone number and a brief message."

At end above listed web-page are some other US DVA Cancer Centers; copied/cited in italics below:

"Other VA Cancer Programs
Albany, NY
Asheville, NC
Buffalo, NY
Chicago, IL

Little Rock, AR **"

Also, might be of some use, for example only, the following web-links:

Sadly, knew of a Vietnam Vet whom died prostate cancer before any of their claims/appeals supposedly ever settled with US VBA......

11bin3id- others- hope this helps somewhat........

(still issues this web-site..)

I was at FOB Hammer in 2015 when we opened it back up for a short time, I know its a very long shot, but has anyone seen report from the Spanish air quality test while they were there?

Back