To retire or not to retire. Help?

Nooch808

Registered Member
Hey everyone. A little back story about me. I injured my arm pretty bad back in March, had all kinds of imaging, occupational therapy etc. hand surgeon said he has no idea what’s going on, or how to fix it surgically so a meb was initiated. I am active army.

I’ve already done all of my QTC’s, and have received my Narsum. I made my election on dec 12, 2019. Anyhow, after meeting with legal, they told me that my projected ratings were 90%-100% VA, and 10% dod, and that’s with a zero percent rating for my cpap. Since then I have gotten my cpap and paperwork has been added to my file to get a rating for it, which should be 50%.

Anyways, I also have very frequent migraines, and have had them since 2014. I’ve never had a profile for my headaches, I’ve always just been sent home from work, or put on quarters by ACC. They did not list it as an unfitting condition. I initially tried to fight it, so I could hopefully receive 30% army and be retired. Last minute I opted not to fight over it so I signed my narsum, and accept the projected 10% army, so I could receive a severance pay to help me start a business once I’m out. I’m still waiting on the actual ratings to come back from the VA.

It is to my understanding that without retiring, but receiving a 100% VA rating, you can get champVA for healthcare once you’re out, and it’s dirt cheap and has decent coverage. I am married and have a two year old so this works for me, however I’m still wondering if I made the right choice by not pushing for my migraines? Anyone go through something similar? What are some benefits I’ll be losing if I do not receive that 30% army, but still get 100% va? will I still have access to military installations?
Thanks for taking the time everyone

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The big lose for most people under 20 YOS, be separating over retirement is TriCare. Recent legislation has given Exchange and Commissary benefits to many more veterans that are not retired - if you consider these benefits.

Nooch808

Registered Member
The big lose for most people under 20 YOS, be separating over retirement is TriCare. Recent legislation has given Exchange and Commissary benefits to many more veterans that are not retired - if you consider these benefits.
So that seemed to be the biggest loss in my eyes too, but then I was told about champVA. I have two dependents, so champVA would cost me roughly $65 monthly, and I’m more than okay with that. I’m just wondering if there are any other major downfalls? Also if anyone here has ChampVA, I’d love to hear how it is working for you.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I don’t have ChampVAbut my stepmother and siblings do. It’s a decent coverage, there are copays for meds but they have a program called “meds by mail” that operates just like express scripts for tricare and is free and zero copays. This is important because my stepmother has bad psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and her meds are very expensive. She was paying 300 a mo th in copays for her meds until she started using meds by mail and now she doesn’t pay any copays.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The problem with ALL insurance is WHAT providers will accept that insurance. I have no experience with CHAMPVA.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">