Too late to add a condition?

FranticJuggler

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Army wife here asking for spouse... so my husband started the process about three weeks ago, so far so good, his peblo came up with a list of his problems (I have no army brain so I have no clue what that form was called) and gave him a copy about a week and a half ago. As of today his c&p exams are scheduled for next week. Problem is he is still being diagnosed with other conditions in the meantime. So my question is do they diagnose during c&p exams? And if not, when would he claim the new conditions? Sorry for the long post we just want to prevent preventable headaches! Thanks in advance

On the Navy side at least, I know the medical treatment facility, as part of the medboard process, would set a service member up for referals to see other doctors at the MTF to diagnose and add "addendums" to the chronological record of medical care that would then become part of the overall summary for the physical evaluation board.

Just want to add some and try to be as specific as possible... husband has degenerative disk disease as his referred condition, diagnosed years ago and not responding to treatment, in an appointment last week with a neurosurgeon they suggested there is a strong likelihood of fibromyalgia and referred him to a rheumatologist for diagnosis. That appointment is next month. Since fibromyalgia is a big deal, especially in his case where the medication (gabapentin) he's receiving for DDD is what he would be prescribed for it and he doesn't respond, we want to know what we need to do to get that added. We would rather do something now than appeal or something later that would take more time. Since it's new and not yet diagnosed what are the c&p examiner's options?? Or is there a certain point in this process he should take some kind of action? Thanks in advance!

Have you contacted the MSC. Do so ASAP.

Thank you! I will tell him you said to do so.

Some of the threads from people who said the examiners wouldn't touch on anything that wasn't included in the initial list of conditions definitely make us want to be extra prepared... we don't want to still be dealing with this in two years.

I think one issue you may run into with the fibromyalgia diagnosis/claim is he hasn't actually been treated for fibromyalgia. Gabapentin is one of many drugs used to treat/manage fibro, in my case they started with Gabapentin but over the course of eighteen months tried three others, as well as chiropractic/acupuncture/cognitive behavioral therapy, etc.. Many individuals do respond well with treatment and fibro has a very minimal effect on their lives. Additionally, the VA Rating criteria for fibromyalgia is based around symptoms and reaction to therapy (10% = requires constant medication, 40% = constant and refractory to therapy). I'm not sure how they would rate him when he hasn't actually been treated/monitored for fibro.

Definitely not discouraging him from pursuing this, just want you to know potential hurdles to overcome (but hopefully your husband responds well to treatment!)

DOD he will be over 20 years & va-wise the symptoms fall under other diagnosis as well, its difficult to say what is what when someone has 4 or 5 back issues. We aren't looking to necessarily benefit from it at the moment but ratings change and we need to be prepared. He won't be able to work after separating.

DOD he will be over 20 years & va-wise the symptoms fall under other diagnosis as well, its difficult to say what is what when someone has 4 or 5 back issues. We aren't looking to necessarily benefit from it at the moment but ratings change and we need to be prepared. He won't be able to work after separating.

Wanted to add- he is only being referred for one unfitting condition (multiple little things, probably 0% VA things) and as bad as it is there is the possibility it wont stick. If we could get fibromyalgia on there it would be a stronger case that he would be found unfit.