script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Traditional guardsman, got very sick from TDY, not sure where to post this???

Bradl

Registered Member
Not sure where to start as I am new to this entire world. I’ll try to keep it brief, I am a traditional in the ANG that went on TDY to Puerto Rico for combat survival . About a week after returning I got really sick. Like couldn’t get out of bed sick. It got slightly better and I returned to my civ job after about a month of sick leave. A few months later I went out on a disability from my civ employer as the symptoms seemed to linger. I have been out ever since (8 months). I have been to so many docs I can’t count. Just recently they have found Lyme disease and rocky mountain spotted fever (both tick born diseases). I have started a heavy dose of medicine that hopefully will lead to a resolution. In the event that they don’t, and I am unable to return to my civ job, am I entitled to anything from the milItaly since it all started from a mil exercise?

let me be clear here, I love my civ job and I love flying in the guard. In a perfect world, I would go back to both. Unfortunately I am not sure that will happen.

15yrs in if it matters.

thanks for the help

Provis

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Not sure where to start as I am new to this entire world. I’ll try to keep it brief, I am a traditional in the ANG that went on TDY to Puerto Rico for combat survival . About a week after returning I got really sick. Like couldn’t get out of bed sick. It got slightly better and I returned to my civ job after about a month of sick leave. A few months later I went out on a disability from my civ employer as the symptoms seemed to linger. I have been out ever since (8 months). I have been to so many docs I can’t count. Just recently they have found Lyme disease and rocky mountain spotted fever (both tick born diseases). I have started a heavy dose of medicine that hopefully will lead to a resolution. In the event that they don’t, and I am unable to return to my civ job, am I entitled to anything from the milItaly since it all started from a mil exercise?

let me be clear here, I love my civ job and I love flying in the guard. In a perfect world, I would go back to both. Unfortunately I am not sure that will happen.

15yrs in if it matters.

thanks for the help
Do you have 15 good years? If so, you can get a 15 year letter if they kick you out due to medical. However, I would seek out an attorney to advise you on a course of action regarding if you can fight to get LOD connected for your illness. If so, they would put you back on orders to be evaluated through IDES. If rated by DOD for 30% or higher you could received a medical retirement immediately instead of waiting until age 60 to collect a Non Regular retirement.

Bradl

Registered Member
Ok thank you very much for this. I will be 15yrs come this feb. You say attorney, you mean civ attorney vs JAG, correct?

also, what is IDES? Is there a somewhat quick guide that can give me a rundown of the process?

Provis

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I attached the manual for IDES but know that IDES isn't an option unless you can get your illness covered in the Line Of Duty (LOD). I would contact Jason Perry or another qualified civilian attorney for an initial consultation. Jason's website is www.peblawyer.com Also, you said 15 years this February. Make sure all of them are good years where you have enough points to qualify as a good year towards retirement. 15 is the magic number if being kicked out before you can reach 20 years.

Attachments

• Army IDES Manual.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 5

Bradl

Registered Member
I attached the manual for IDES but know that IDES isn't an option unless you can get your illness covered in the Line Of Duty (LOD). I would contact Jason Perry or another qualified civilian attorney for an initial consultation. Jason's website is www.peblawyer.com Also, you said 15 years this February. Make sure all of them are good years where you have enough points to qualify as a good year towards retirement. 15 is the magic number if being kicked out before you can reach 20 years.
Great, I really appreciate it. I’ll reach out to him here shortly.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@Guardguy11 may be a great resource. It sounds like you have a nexus with the tick born illnesses, so I am hoping you get better soon!