Transfer from ANG to USAFR issues??

Go Guard

Registered Member
Hi. So I am currently in traditional in the ANG that went through a fitness determination/medical review for narcolepsy without cataplexy and was found fit for duty, WWQ and with an asgmt lim code of C-1. I was applying for ART jobs with the USAFR and they are telling me I don't qualify on the medical side to get the job. How does one reserve component (the guard) say I'm good to go and even deploy, but the other component (reserves) says I can't even transfer to them. I know they do separate processes for medical waivers, etc, but once I'm cleared, I should be cleared for any service even if I have an asgmt lim code. Thoughts? Really could use some help here!!

I think the ALC code is the factor. When you get an ALC the gaining command's SG decides on a case by case basis to accept/deny gaining you.

Hi. So I am currently in traditional in the ANG that went through a fitness determination/medical review for narcolepsy without cataplexy and was found fit for duty, WWQ and with an asgmt lim code of C-1. I was applying for ART jobs with the USAFR and they are telling me I don't qualify on the medical side to get the job. How does one reserve component (the guard) say I'm good to go and even deploy, but the other component (reserves) says I can't even transfer to them. I know they do separate processes for medical waivers, etc, but once I'm cleared, I should be cleared for any service even if I have an asgmt lim code. Thoughts? Really could use some help here!!
Go Guard, unfortunately there is not much you can do in this case. The military service determines conditions of employment and I will make an educated guess that the AF Reserves do not use veterans preference criteria due to the military nexus with the ART job. It is a bummer that you are qualified for the position yet the military requirements prevent a full time job. I recommend you focus your fulltime search to ANG positions since you are already a member and you would be evaluated on if you could preform the dual status technician duties. The other option is to get/use your VA rating to apply fir Title 5 positions or Title 38 jobs with the VA. Best of luck.

Unfortunately all of the branches of the service have different practices. In general though, the guard and reserves don't like to take broke people from the other agencies. Happens all the time. Reserve guys trying to go guard, AD trying to go guard or reserves. We get pilots coming to the reserves all the time that have been flying on AD for the last 6 years with a waiver or something and they bail on active duty, get initially hired with the reserves, and then are told under further review that their condition is not compatible with reserve service and are then removed. Wish i had a better answer, but once you are broke, many times staying right where you are is the best and only option.