Traumatic Brain Injury Forum

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I have decided to set up this separate forum for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) issues. This injury is sometimes called a "signature injury" of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. I hope this is helpful to all the Wounded Warriors facing a Medical Evaluation Board/Physical Evaluation Board.

GREAT idea!!!

right now my neurologist is baffledby my case. i've been having "seizure type" sympotoms that he believes may be caused by a head injury. i'll try to update you guys with all of the info., that i get.

GO CELTS!!!

Thanks!

And yes, now that my Spurs are out, I am rooting for the Celtics. Watching the game now!

Traumatic Brain Injury Forum and MEB/HYT Questions

:eek:I am an active duty Air Force member who was deployed to Baghdad Iraq right before the surge.

Regardless of where people think the battle line is, I tell you the lines were nowhere to be seen in Iraq. It was all a war zone.

I was close to a blast, and I don't remember coming to. I know that people were injured and killed. I felt dazed, confused, and my head hurt. I tryed to help the others. I don't remember how I got back to where I slept I just know I woke up and still had my uniform on with my weapon beside me and blood on me that was not my own.

I never talked about the incident until after I redeployed and asked why I was losing my hair by the hand full (I am a female). When I was sent to the VA in Palo ALto for PTSD, they became suspecious about the possibility of TBI (one year after the event) because of memory problems.

The VA did test me and my MRI came back with no abnormalities other than my brain is small for a person of my age. When I asked about this they said stress or trauma can cause the brain to atrophy. I was also tested for the C-3 and C-4 in the neck damage which can be a result of age or trauma. My left arm on the same side has less sensation (they ran a stick pin up and down my arm). This can be caused by again age or trauma. I also have had migrains since my return a couple of years ago as well. I was sent TDY to Lackland AFB to the polytrauma folks and they had stated that I had had a possible TBI which had complicated the PTSD condition.

Now I am being MEBed (after 2 years) for: Chronic PTSD, with depression, and Cognitive disorder NOS and the Neck C-3 and C-4 issues.

Also I have reactive airway desease, hypothyroidism, migrains (I was hospitalized for altered metal status recently because of the migrains). As well as Sleep apnea, significant sleep issues.

I never had these problems before I deployed.

I also keep spiking high fevers and having body aches, they have diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Military AD), and Fibramyalgia (VA).

I have been tested 3 times for Lupus, 1 time for Maleria, 1 time for tuberculosis, and about 3 times for arthuritis. (I still don't know the answer to this).

A MEB was established in Jun 08 and I fought the idea of what I considered quitting during war. Well just as I was getting used to the idea the MEB came back with the reply to return to duty. Because I was 25 years in and approuching my HYT. Now it feels like the Active Duty side is not acknowledging what happened. I appealed the decision to the informal board.

I am really confused about all of this.

If there is anyone out there who can give me guidance about the TBI issue as well as the MEB and HYT issues I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks for letting me vent during my first post. I generaly feel I can't talk to anyone so thank you.

Vinnie
AD Air Force
:confused:

Traumatic Brain Injury Forum and MEB/HYT Questions

Welcome, Vinnie!

Now I am being MEBed (after 2 years) for: Chronic PTSD, with depression, and Cognitive disorder NOS and the Neck C-3 and C-4 issues.

Also I have reactive airway desease, hypothyroidism, migrains (I was hospitalized for altered metal status recently because of the migrains). As well as Sleep apnea, significant sleep issues.

I also keep spiking high fevers and having body aches, they have diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Military AD), and Fibramyalgia (VA).

I have been tested 3 times for Lupus, 1 time for Maleria, 1 time for tuberculosis, and about 3 times for arthuritis. (I still don't know the answer to this).
You should have been MEB'd for all disqualifying conditions. It sounds like there may be some issues with that your were boarded for.

A MEB was established in Jun 08 and I fought the idea of what I considered quitting during war. Well just as I was getting used to the idea the MEB came back with the reply to return to duty. Because I was 25 years in and approuching my HYT. Now it feels like the Active Duty side is not acknowledging what happened. I appealed the decision to the informal board.
Was it the MEB or the IPEB that stated return to duty? Were you already processing for length of service retirement due to reaching HYT? I suspect that they presumed you fit under presumption of fitness rule. Did they state anything like that in the findings? This can be overcome.

If there is anyone out there who can give me guidance about the TBI issue as well as the MEB and HYT issues I would sure appreciate it.
Conditions must be unfitting to be rated. I mentioned my thoughts about HYT above. There is a new rating criteria for TBI, which I posted in that forum.

Thanks for letting me vent during my first post. I generaly feel I can't talk to anyone so thank you.

Vinnie
AD Air Force
:confused:

Glad to have you here. Vent away if you need to, that is okay, too. I hope it all goes well for you.

According to what I have read I have enough mention of heeadaches, depression, cognitive issues and so forth to meet the new criteria of mild TBI. I have the neuropsyu testing at Lackland AFB that supports the claim as well.

I was returned to duty by the AFPC Informal PEB. I wrote my reply that I did not concur with the findings while I was percocet for migrains (I had just gotten out of the hospital). The reason behind the return to duty is because of my high year of Tenure which places me in a presumtive period. I looked up the guidance and it states thet my carreer must be cut short because of the medical issues and the Meb. In my response I wrote that for the past two years I could have made rank and therfor would not be facing the HYT issue and the board would look at me differently. I never activly applied for retirement as I knew I could be and then was pending a MEB.

I just found out yesterday that the Informal board turned down my request for a formal board.:eek:

Wounded Warrior is trying to help me but I don't know what they can do.

Thanks for listening :confused:

Vinnie,

I am sorry to hear your request was denied. Depending on your rating from the VA, it is possible that you will do no worse in total compensation, given that you have more than 20 years. However, you might have done better, strictly speaking, from the AF.

If your condition worsens, you may be put in for another MEB/PEB. It is more likely, though, that you will end up retiring for length of service.

Best of luck and please let us know any questions.