Treatment after retirment date?

Pavetim

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If all is said and done then I get a retirement date and I have an injury that needs treatment and/or mental/grief counseling would they put a medical hold on the retirement or would it stand as is?

I wish I could help you but honestly I don’t know. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon. Hang in there.

If all is said and done then I get a retirement date and I have an injury that needs treatment and/or mental/grief counseling would they put a medical hold on the retirement or would it stand as is?
@chaplaincharlie might be able to field this... He has expertise in that area.

He has been copied on this post.

Ron

If you are AD, placed on medical hold for a PEB and the PEB decides to retire then you are released from medical hold, retired and you get TriCare to cover treatment. If you are granted retirement status by the BCMR/service secretary you also become TriCare eligible. Depending on which TriCare plan you select determines where you are treated and the process to get treated. If you are TriCare Prime you must go through your PCM to get a referral.

if you separated without being retired and you have been found service connected for an injury/illness, the VA will treat that injury/illness. If you are medically retired, you can also use the VA. At a certain percentage of disability you can get all your treatment from the Va is you so choose.

If your post had started with your status, in terms of what process you are in, I might have been able to give you a better answer.

I am awaiting SAF appeal. Was rated 50% DoD and 100% VA. Current regular date of retirement should be June 1, 2020. Kind of what I was getting at is say my regular retirement date is June 1, 2020 but I can't make it to 20 years and they say give me a medical retirement date of November 30, 2019. What would happen if I got hurt and required medical treatment and/or needed some sort of MH treatment. Would that put me on hold or would November 30, 2019 still be the retirement date and they tell me to get treatment when I get out.

Once you sign the ratings you start a 90 day countdown for medical retirement.

Pavetim,

I just went through this, and unfortunately, getting your retirement date (once set) extended for any type of medical care is difficult, if not impossible. You can work with your PEBLO to send in a memo requesting an extension, but I was informed nearly all requests are denied. I sent in a request to have my retirement date extended just 30 days so I could recover from a surgery I had for a service connected condition and they still refused. You should look over the reg and see if there is a path forward for your situation. I am Air Force and tried to get an extension under the loosely defined "hardship" clause.

Best of luck to you, and should you have any success getting your extension approved, please post back on here so that others can be encouraged that such a feat is possible.

I did not know it started the 90 day countdown. WTF if I get my leave and everything approved i'm going to miss retirement by like 4 months and if it is 90 days for retirement date plus terminal and ptdy i'll miss it by 1 month. I planned on trying for a hardship extension based on my father passed away a few weeks ago and we are tying to get my mom's house finished and move in with me. So hope they consider this. I'm working on the LAS package so I think that's my last hope to make it to 20.

Last edited:
How long has your package been at SECAF level? I am in the same boat.

Just couple days I think. The new AFI that came out in june or july this year states that the SAF will usually get the appeal done in 10 days. Wow that's a huge difference from the 7 months it was taking, I was banking on that to stretch my time out but can't now.

Like I said once you sign, 90 day countdown begins. It takes about 30 days to get your orders and then you outprocess. Your DD214 will have a separation date that is no later than (NLT) 90 days after your findings were accepted.

Not likely you will reach 20 years.