Tricare Benefits After Medical Separation.

Hey everyone, so I have just finished my board and signed my findings a few weeks back, just awaiting an updated EAS. One question I had and was curious if anyone knew. Personnel separating through normal procedures in the military retain Tricare benefits for them and their families 6 months after exiting after service. I am 10% DOD but 100% VA. Although I am being medically separated after 5 years of service, are my spouse and I still entitled to Tricare benefits in the 6 months after separation? Any resources or answers would be helpful!

Also my wife is on Johns Hopkins US Family Health Plan (Tricare branch), will she still retain that care for 6 months after I separate? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, so I have just finished my board and signed my findings a few weeks back, just awaiting an updated EAS. One question I had and was curious if anyone knew. Personnel separating through normal procedures in the military retain Tricare benefits for them and their families 6 months after exiting after service. I am 10% DOD but 100% VA. Although I am being medically separated after 5 years of service, are my spouse and I still entitled to Tricare benefits in the 6 months after separation? Any resources or answers would be helpful!

Also my wife is on Johns Hopkins US Family Health Plan (Tricare branch), will she still retain that care for 6 months after I separate? Thanks in advance!
From the TRICARE web page: see: LINK <---

Separating from Active Duty​

Event:QLE?
Separating from Active DutyYes.

You have 90 days from your separation date to change your TRICARE health plan.
Separating from the military means that you leave the service before you retire. You and your family may qualify for temporary health care coverage when you separate from the service.

It is important to schedule your Separation History and Physical Examination (SHPE) before you separate or start your terminal leave. Make sure you schedule it between 90 and 180 days before your end date.

The SHPE is medical exam that the Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) use to capture your complete medical history. >>Learn More about the SHPE

Things to know when separating from active duty:​

• Separating from active duty is different than retiring. >> Learn more about retiring.
  • Separating is also different than "Deactivating". When you are deactivating from the National Guard or Reserves, you are still a member of your unit. Your military status changes, so your health care options will also change. >>Learn More
  • Your family members, age 18 and older, can continue to access their medical information on MilConnect. They can get a DS Logon for up to six months after your separation.

Active Duty Service Members​

There are two programs for temporary coverage. You may qualify for either:

It’s important to remember that separating from is a different life event than if you retire. >>Learn More

National Guard and/Reserve Members​

Your coverage options depend on what your military status is right as you separate from your service.

• If you separate right after active duty service, you may qualify for:
  • If you aren't activated
  • Called or ordered to active duty service for more than 30 days in a row. when you separate, you might still qualify for temporary coverage. Check with your Service representative for details.
  • If you're a member of the Selected Reserve and use TRICARE Reserve Select, you may purchase the CHCBP when you separate.
  • You can contact your Service personnel department for more information about your status and what you may qualify for.
Ron