Type 1 Diabetic (FEB 18'), MEB started in July, still waiting and looking for answers

PGC_1985

Registered Member
Shipmates,

Good morning and thank you in advance for any help. I have been reviewing the forums for about two weeks but this is my first post. There are a lot of people who do great work, thank you for what you do!

BLUF: Diagnosed as a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic in Feb 18' and put on LIMDU. I have been on an insulin pump since July 23rd and the MEB was initiated (as I understand it) at the same time. I have been through all my VA appointments, and signed off on my package with my PEBLO on 02 November and told to call (a number she gave me) starting the first week of December. It was incredibly frustrating, I called every day that week and left messages, got a call back on Friday and was told the system was delayed, no one would update me on my status, and to call back on 20 December. The reason for that date, the person handling my case was going on leave the next day until after the New Years holiday! I called 5 times yesterday, nothing returned and no one picked up.

-Is this timeline usual? I thought answers were required within 30-45 days?
-What is my potential status? Could I be, right now, fit for duty? Fit for continued service but not sea duty? Have a rating assigned?
-Any timeline information? Employment offers and conferences are flying by right now because I have no dates. I can accept this process is not an exact science, but I range of possibilities would greatly serve my capability to apply for jobs and sell my house.
-Does anyone have information on what Type 1 Diabetics usually receive as a VA rating? I'm afraid since I am otherwise healthy I won't get the 40%. I see some on the forums got 20%, others had that raised, etc, and can't find a rhyme or reasons to the varying range. My doctor did write I have psychical restrictions, I was a cross country runner and cannot do that anymore without going hypoglycemic, etc.
-I have 11 years of service as a SWO. Does the time in matter at all?
-I would be devastated if I were unable to medically retire. It's a genetic disease, I have children, and I want the insurance coverage for my family, I'm not as concerned about the money, but the benefits. If my children end up with diabetes in the next few years and I don't have VA insurance coverage, it could be devastating to health care coverage in the private market.
-I'm calling every number I can at Portsmouth, no answer. I really want to avoid going up there and making a fuss, any other avenues to pursue information?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help provided.

hondero95

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Shipmates,

Good morning and thank you in advance for any help. I have been reviewing the forums for about two weeks but this is my first post. There are a lot of people who do great work, thank you for what you do!

BLUF: Diagnosed as a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic in Feb 18' and put on LIMDU. I have been on an insulin pump since July 23rd and the MEB was initiated (as I understand it) at the same time. I have been through all my VA appointments, and signed off on my package with my PEBLO on 02 November and told to call (a number she gave me) starting the first week of December. It was incredibly frustrating, I called every day that week and left messages, got a call back on Friday and was told the system was delayed, no one would update me on my status, and to call back on 20 December. The reason for that date, the person handling my case was going on leave the next day until after the New Years holiday! I called 5 times yesterday, nothing returned and no one picked up.

-Is this timeline usual? I thought answers were required within 30-45 days?
-What is my potential status? Could I be, right now, fit for duty? Fit for continued service but not sea duty? Have a rating assigned?
-Any timeline information? Employment offers and conferences are flying by right now because I have no dates. I can accept this process is not an exact science, but I range of possibilities would greatly serve my capability to apply for jobs and sell my house.
-Does anyone have information on what Type 1 Diabetics usually receive as a VA rating? I'm afraid since I am otherwise healthy I won't get the 40%. I see some on the forums got 20%, others had that raised, etc, and can't find a rhyme or reasons to the varying range. My doctor did write I have psychical restrictions, I was a cross country runner and cannot do that anymore without going hypoglycemic, etc.
-I have 11 years of service as a SWO. Does the time in matter at all?
-I would be devastated if I were unable to medically retire. It's a genetic disease, I have children, and I want the insurance coverage for my family, I'm not as concerned about the money, but the benefits. If my children end up with diabetes in the next few years and I don't have VA insurance coverage, it could be devastating to health care coverage in the private market.
-I'm calling every number I can at Portsmouth, no answer. I really want to avoid going up there and making a fuss, any other avenues to pursue information?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help provided.

PGC I was also diagnosed while I was stationed in the Norfolk area so I can relate.

are you still waiting on a reply form the MEDBOARD?

PGC_1985

Registered Member
hondero95,

Thank you for the reply.

Not waiting anymore, everyone got back to me and it went well. I got the rating / retirement I expected, no real complaints. THe only frustration was the long lead time for information and not getting responses in a timely manner from the board / PEBLO. Aside from that, everything was professional and went well.

I appreciate your concern. Should anyone else need help or advice regarding the process I am happy to share my experience and what I know.

Tim_406

Registered Member
hondero95,

Thank you for the reply.

Not waiting anymore, everyone got back to me and it went well. I got the rating / retirement I expected, no real complaints. THe only frustration was the long lead time for information and not getting responses in a timely manner from the board / PEBLO. Aside from that, everything was professional and went well.

I appreciate your concern. Should anyone else need help or advice regarding the process I am happy to share my experience and what I know.
If you don't mind me asking, what was the outcome of your case rating wise? I am going through the IDES step right now and am pretty confident it will come back being an MEB. Any info or tips would be great! Thanks in advance!

-Tim

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">