Unfit Determination and VA.Gov/E-Benefits Status Change Question

afangel2005

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello All,

I am active duty Air Force. My package was sent to the IPEB on 1 Apr. I noticed today that on VA.gov, while previously at Step 3, Evidence gathering, review, and decision, I had been moved back to Step 2, Initial Review. On E-Benefits, I had been moved from Review of Evidence to Under Review. I did notice they added my dependency claim.

My timeline also changed, from 8/12/2019-12/18/2019 to 10/17/2019 - 4/2/2020.

I know that those of us in IDES can't really rely on these sites for accurate information. But does anyone know if this change means that I was found unfit and the IPEB requested ratings from the VA? Or would VA have added the dependency claim/adjusted status/dates anyways, regardless of if the IPEB had found me fit/unfit or there was a delay in ratings request?

Kbert84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You can call your PEBLO and they can look up whether or not the finding was fit/unfit. That is how I found out (no official notification) and am currently waiting for ratings from the VA.

12Mustang05

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
yes asking peblo is what I recommend as well, if they don't want to help you can call peb but I would just ask peblo first they can look you up in the system like in 5 min.

PEBMember2017

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am active duty Air Force. My package was sent to the IPEB on 1 Apr. I noticed today that on VA.gov, while previously at Step 3, Evidence gathering, review, and decision, I had been moved back to Step 2, Initial Review. On E-Benefits, I had been moved from Review of Evidence to Under Review. I did notice they added my dependency claim.
@afangel2005 I learned just recently that not only are eBenefits case/appeal statuses entirely incorrect (and not being updated by any specific human input), it is also being phased out completely. What this means is VA is currently causing the process which automates (updates) to cease. This explains why everyone's status updates are skewered and conflicting - the system is no longer being given any meaningful input.

eBenefits "updates," quite simply, can not be relied on. You must call VA directly.

There's no word yet on how this will effect the Vets.gov status updates, which are frustratingly worse and farther off than what eBenefits would historically say.

afangel2005

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
yes asking peblo is what I recommend as well, if they don't want to help you can call peb but I would just ask peblo first they can look you up in the system like in 5 min.
You can call your PEBLO and they can look up whether or not the finding was fit/unfit. That is how I found out (no official notification) and am currently waiting for ratings from the VA.
Unfortunately my PEBLO made it clear to me she wouldn't be able to tell me fit/unfit until ratings came back from VA. She did say AFTER 30 days I could call her and she might be able to tell me something, but acted like that was something she wasn't really supposed to do, and like she was doing me a huge favor.

PEBMember2017

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Unfortunately my PEBLO made it clear to me she wouldn't be able to tell me fit/unfit until ratings came back from VA. She did say AFTER 30 days I could call her and she might be able to tell me something, but acted like that was something she wasn't really supposed to do, and like she was doing me a huge favor.
:rolleyes: Yeah, that's their favorite line in the book. Keep pressing her for information. It's her job to provide it.

12Mustang05

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
yea they always say that and I get it they do it so they wont get bugged all the time BUT they can easily look it up for you Id give it the 30 days then politely ask, if no help call PEB.

afarcryfromsane

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Sometimes your OMBUDSMAN can tell you unofficially. Mine did. They are really plugged into the system, so they can call around and ask. I have a great PEBLO and a great OMBUDSMAN, so between the two of them I am usually able to get the full story.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">