Unknown cause of allergies on submarines. Please Help

adurchanek

Registered Member
In my desperation, i've stumbled across this site hoping to find some answers. A little background and amplifying information:

My allergies (hives) became apparent about one year ago on deployment. It severely progressed to the point where i couldnt sleep. (I would find my self waking up ever 30 minutes scratching in my sleep. Yes, while sleeping and subsequently waking me up.) Apparently not enough of a problem to be medivaced. Actually that was fine with me because despite the torture, i wanted to finish my quals which i eventually did toward the end of deployment.

I tried everything from changing the things i ate, to the shampoo, soap, laundry detergent, toothpaste, etc. Medications including benadryl, benadryl shots, hydrocortisone, allegra, zyrtec, prednisone, and finally xolair. The two main theories from the allergist ive been seeing is stress or submarine environment, both of which are very hard to prove apparently. I have had no history of this in the past 22 years.

(Xolair was administered only because we were not going out to sea for a long time and it can only be given on shore duty status even though we were technically on sea duty. Prior to xolair(allergy shots), they tried to given me doxepin, an anti-anxiety/depressant that apparently helps with allergies. That was denied by the boat because it was sub disqualifying, but not sea duty disqualifying.
I have 3 years in and the way things look right now, will not see another deployment.)

Now that the background is done, has anyone seen a situation like this before and could provide the outcome? I do not want to be kicked out of the navy. I am married and need this. Ive been jerked around more than you can imagine, seen for this issue about 25 different times(15 or so from my IDC alone). It seems all they care about is keeping me in the command so i can stand duty because as it is ill never be able to be deployed again and probably admin/medical separated or whatever its called. They would rather me take something (xolair) that would stop my career than something that would give me a chance to continue it (doxepin) but be off submarines. I just dont understand their motives. Do i have the choice to refuse or accept medicines? If thats the case should i opt for the doxepin? Or choose to stop taking the Xolair just so i can go on deployments and continue my career?

I have not had a medboard or anything similar. Should i request one? Should i submit anything? Should i talk to anyone?

If anyone has ANY input, medical, or non-medical related, i would appreciated it if they would post it. Like ive said, im being jerked around and abused as a "number/body". I need help.

This is what was the doc had shown me:

2.5.6. Allergy Desensitization Therapy. Allergy desensitization shots shall not be
administered on board submarines. Those personnel in which it is medically determined that the
benefit of starting or continuing desensitization outweighs the necessity for submarine duty shall
be recommended for submarine disqualification, unless this period of desensitization can be
accomplished during a period of shore duty.

Out of http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmcp/Clinics/nepmu2/Documents/SUBLANT-SUBPACINST6000-2 (2).pdf
--------------

Oh and recently I was told that it was incorrect keeping my on sea duty. Apparently i would be taking up a billet in my rating, and though technically we werent going out to sea do to being on shore for over a year, it was still sea duty and that wasn't allowed. I was told i would have a tracker put on me if the issue couldn't be resolved. Any idea what a 'tracker' is?

I literally had the exact same thing happen to me in October 2000 in Groton Ct. I was even exposed to UV radiation therapy by a doctor off base. Nothing seemed to help, this had a negative affect on my military career.... :(

Can you change your rate to get out of the sub community?