Unprovoked PE with lifelong anticoagulation recommended

I understand where you are coming from as far as not being able to deploy. My non medical assessment (NMA) that came from my commanding officer was worded to the extent that...Sailors are needed to deploy and be worldwide assignable and i was unable to do that, so it was in the best interest of the Navy that i be found UNFIT and be medically retire. Your personal statement you also state you wishes to be found UNFIT.

This is encouraging. I hope my PEB listens to me like yours listened to you. I’m waiting to be contacted by my PEBLO currently. I have a P4 but it hasn’t been “approved” yet by a secondary provider. Due to my previous outcome, I have quite of a bit of anxiety as I wait for this to be reviewed.

I’m in the exact same spot. I’m pre-command. I ask myself, what kind of commander can I be if I can’t deploy. I have literally been praying that I am found unfit.
Not an effective leader. Our Command Climate survey would read pretty poorly. That’s what I stressed to my current commander during the time we talked about the 7652. She originally wanted to recommend retaining me until I told her my side of the story. I’m hoping the PEB will listen as well.

Husband signed his NARSUM last week. His condition is Other primary thrombophillia (he has to be on life long blood thinners - eliquis). His personal statement stated that he wants to be found fit. He can do his job and pass all physical tests. His unit recommended retention and his doctor stated that he can continue serving in non-deployable units and billets. USMC, 12 years. Was anyone trying to be found fit and actually was found fit in a similar situation?

Husband signed his NARSUM last week. His condition is Other primary thrombophillia (he has to be on life long blood thinners - eliquis). His personal statement stated that he wants to be found fit. He can do his job and pass all physical tests. His unit recommended retention and his doctor stated that he can continue serving in non-deployable units and billets. USMC, 12 years. Was anyone trying to be found fit and actually was found fit in a similar situation?
I have seen individuals be found fit and non-deployable. I will continue to update you on my situation. I can do all duties in garrison. I cannot deploy or be placed in any situation where I can experience trauma.

I have seen individuals be found fit and non-deployable. I will continue to update you on my situation. I can do all duties in garrison. I cannot deploy or be placed in any situation where I can experience trauma.

For the Army, you can be found fit. It states unequivocally in the verbiage. However, I would posit that it’s contrary to the DoD policy of deploy or get out. I, dare I say we, all signed up to deploy and do our duties in the operational force. I wouldn’t want to soak up a billet that someone on a rigorous deployment cycle could use to get a couple years with his/her family simply because I can’t deploy. Concurrently, what experience can I speak from or develop whilst not participating in Units where the rubber meets the road. The way I look at it, both the Army and I benefit from my separation/retirement. I feel very strongly that I should be found unfit (if you couldn’t tell).

So after accepting the advice from my FPEB attorney i decided to CANX my board and accept my findings. I guess if you are over 20yrs of service you DOD percentage does not matter unless you are 100%, which will result in not paying tricare but your retirement pay will be base off of longevity and not DOD percentage. I got a 100 % proposed rating fron the VA and 0 from the DOD. I was told that i shouldn't have the VA look at me again since it won't make a difference and my proposed rating was P&T with chapter 35. So I'm awaiting my official message and expect to be gone by the end of the year. Good luck to you all.

What's crazy is the stuff that is medically retiring me are rated at zero (DVT) and not even rated (PE). Having a DOD rating at 70%( which i feel it should be) does nothing but would make me feel good on the inside. Even though you may be right the outcome may not the what you hoped for, so educate yourself and make smart decisions.

So after accepting the advice from my FPEB attorney i decided to CANX my board and accept my findings. I guess if you are over 20yrs of service you DOD percentage does not matter unless you are 100%, which will result in not paying tricare but your retirement pay will be base off of longevity and not DOD percentage. I got a 100 % proposed rating fron the VA and 0 from the DOD. I was told that i shouldn't have the VA look at me again since it won't make a difference and my proposed rating was P&T with chapter 35. So I'm awaiting my official message and expect to be gone by the end of the year. Good luck to you all.

I’m glad you’re happy. If you’re over 50% VA, you can draw you’re retirement and disability concurrently. Honestly, that’s probably the best case scenario for you.

Hi trini123,
I am glad you got 100% and over 20 years of service (so DOD percentages didn't matter). What was the code/name of your condition that was rated 0% by DOD? What did VA rate this condition? My husband's condition is not listed at all so it will be evaluated based on a similar condition which doesn't make us feel any better. Trying to prepare for the worst case scenario. Thanks!

CH 61 retirement.

1. Re: “I guess if you are over 20yrs of service you DOD percentage does not matter unless you are 100%, which will result in not paying tricare but your retirement pay will be base off of longevity and not DOD percentage.”

If the DoD was 90% (example) and the retiree had 20 years of active duty, DFAS would pay the one that most benefited the retiree.
In this example the comparison is 75% DoD versus 50% longevity. Seventy five percent is the maximum.
The multiplier would be 75% in this example x high three average base pay = Retired Pay

2. The retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation. Occasionally there is residual retired pay that the retiree keeps.

3. Assuming the VA rate is =>50%, the retiree in this 20-year AD case is eligible for CRDP.

4. CRDP will restore the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay; (AD years x 2.5%) x (high three ave).
Any residual retired pay (see item 2) will reduce the CRDP. CRDP + residual retired pay cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay.

5. Is many cases, the retired pay is not based on the longevity portion of retirement pay as have shown above. However, CRDP is most definitely based on longevity.

Ron

June,
My refered condition was Venous Thromboembolism. The rated DVT of the lower left extremity at zero and the right at zero also. Didn't rate the PE. I believe the code was 7121...i gotta look up up.

June,

7121 for both DVT were rated zero and I did not get a rate for 6817 (Pulumonary Embolism).

My last day at work was NOV 7th and I'm officially retired on 27 NOV. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and information provided. For those of you that's still at it, keep your head up and don't give up. Thanks for your service and good luck in your future endeavors.

My last day at work was NOV 7th and I'm officially retired on 27 NOV. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and information provided. For those of you that's still at it, keep your head up and don't give up. Thanks for your service and good luck in your future endeavors.
Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy, take care, and thanks for your service. Ron P

Congratulations on your retirement! Thanks for your service! God bless!

I'm at the PEB stage. My packet was submitted to the PEB in San Antonio on 4NOV19. I'm hoping it's headed to the VA soon. I'm trying to line up jobs for a terminal leave start date in early February. This waiting is excruciating! It almost seems like the PEB is a bigger choke point than the VA anymore. Fingers crossed my timelines work out.

Congratulations! Did you appeal or go to a formal board? I remember you got less than 30% DOD rating first, right?

Husband was found unfit on October 18th and we are still waiting on ratings. I called VA and they told me his proposed VA rating. Apparently they are not supposed to do it but they did. Now hoping for that 30% DOD rating.

So I am going through what Rijmus was going through a few years ago, and was wondering if anybody have any new stories to tell? I had one PE (unprovoked) on active duty, and two more later down the road while on IRR. Currently I am a Reservist and was put on a P3 from my latest PHA visit. I already have a 60% rating due to the chronic PE's and indefinite anticoagulation...now I am worried if the ARMY will decide to lower that rating for whatever reason. I still want to serve and retire (I have 5 years left) so if they find me fit, will they even try to give me a rating (I can still PT no sweat, just cannot deploy)? Or will they just let me keep my rating and still serve? My packet have been sent, and currently going through the IDES process...

So I am going through what Rijmus was going through a few years ago, and was wondering if anybody have any new stories to tell? I had one PE (unprovoked) on active duty, and two more later down the road while on IRR. Currently I am a Reservist and was put on a P3 from my latest PHA visit. I already have a 60% rating due to the chronic PE's and indefinite anticoagulation...now I am worried if the ARMY will decide to lower that rating for whatever reason. I still want to serve and retire (I have 5 years left) so if they find me fit, will they even try to give me a rating (I can still PT no sweat, just cannot deploy)? Or will they just let me keep my rating and still serve? My packet have been sent, and currently going through the IDES process...

Also had multiple unprovoked DVT/PEs, on lifelong anticoagulation and need compression stockings. I was rated 60% by VA, Air Force concurred with rating. I was medically retired, for this and 5 or 6 other conditions found unfitting.

I've heard DVT/PE can go either way if you put together a strong case to retain you and be found fit. A lot of that justification comes down to service branch needs and your specific MOS. Much like an annual performance report, you are your own best advocate. You are best served to do the research and prepare your justification and present it to your legal council to validate/fine-tune. Depending on your abilities you may also consider securing a private lawyer.

Service Branches can not reduce an already adjudicated VA rating to my knowledge. But VA ratings and DoD ratings are two separate things. The service branch does have the option to not concur with VA and offer a different DoD rating. If that happens you have multiple appeals options.