Unsuitable Sea Duty Screening

KrstnTrrs

Registered Member
I was diagnosed with a tumor in 2011 while on shore duty. It was surgically removed. I have annual scans just for precaution. I went back to sea duty and now am on shore duty. I am supposed to go to sea duty again but was just found unsuitable for sea duty even tho every doctor i have seen has deemed me fit for world wide duty.

What are my options? I've been in almost 12 years and absolutely plan in staying in. Any advice anyone can give?

I was diagnosed with a tumor in 2011 while on shore duty. It was surgically removed. I have annual scans just for precaution. I went back to sea duty and now am on shore duty. I am supposed to go to sea duty again but was just found unsuitable for sea duty even tho every doctor i have seen has deemed me fit for world wide duty.

What are my options? I've been in almost 12 years and absolutely plan in staying in. Any advice anyone can give?

I am sorry to hear of your health problems and the potential impact on your career. Here are my quick thoughts:
You should not be administratively separated prior to referral to an MEB and PEB. If found unfit and separated/retired by the Navy, this makes sense. However, if the PEB finds you fit and returns you to duty, then any admin separation based on the conditions considered by the PEB is legally impermissible.

I have seen many improper adverse determinations and results in cases like yours. I would strongly consider seeking competent legal counsel.

Best of luck! I hope all works out for you and that you get all the compensation and benefits you deserve!

That's the thing... an MEB or PEB hasn't even been suggested. Both my PCM and the Dr that I see for annual follow ups deem me fit for world wide duty. Even the sea duty screener at the MTF said I was fine to go back to the ship. The only person who has issue with it is the SKI of the ship I'm going to. I have been trying to get in touch with him but can't get a call or email returned.