update!! From October 2011 MEB

Vgwillm

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,
Ok I promised would give everyone an update as soon as I finished everything.

Latest and greatest....
I retired 8 Aug 12
Received retirement check 1 Nov 12
Received notice from VA that I will receive my first disability check 1 Feb 13....but it will only be 1 Month since DFAS will have to audition make sure I am allowed to receive both retirement and validating before I get my back pay. VA projected 6 months before I see that check.

So that is the latest update. I wish everyone a smooth transition with their MEB. It's a LONG painful road but when it is all said and done it will be worth it.

Good luck.

VictorA little about my case...involved in a Motorcycle accident in 2002 since them have had 13 back surgeries and have been a profile since day 1. Fast forward to 2010 was informed about having the MEB done, I asked to put in retirement papers to avoid the whole IDES process. Dr. said yes go ahead and we will wait on MEB...fast forward to Oct 2011 getting ready to outprocess and retire...called in and told retirement has been put on hold and have to have the MEB done. Here is what it looks like.

Oct 2011 - informed starting MEB
18 Nov 11 - Pending transfer to VA and input in VTA
01 Dec 11 - Briefed on MEB Process
14 Dec 11 - Called by VA to schedule appt
17 Dec - 14 Jan - VA appointments (5 appointments)
23 Jan 12 - VA exams received at Hickam for CC and Naritive
2 Feb 12 - Local MEB
3 Feb 12 - Reviewed the package
6 Feb 12 - Package sent to VA via FEDEX
5 Apr 12 - Asked to attend Congressional focus group on what I think of the IDES process and how to improve on it.
6 Apr 12 - I asked PEBLO for status update, notified awaiting VA results
29 May 12 - Was informed my VA rating was complete
6 June 12 - Checked to see status and rating info, informed no new info other than VA rating is done and was sent to AFPC
7 June 12 - Called VA MSR to find out VA ratings, told over phone what was proposed. Went in to see PEBLO and get a copy of VA ratings. Asked how long for AFPC to come back...told 3-4 weeks but NLT 7 July 2012.
20 June 12 - Stopped in to check status on case...nothing yet. Told AFPC is back logged and to give it time it will be in before 7 July. So I asked if they can call AFPC to get an update. They called and AFPC never received my case file.
22 June 12 - Called 1-800 VA number to find out status, was informed it was sent Snail Mail to AFPC on 6 June 12.
25 June 12 - Talked with PEBLO to have them call and ask for VA to resend package
29 June 12 - AFPC rep stated they still have not received any packages that had been sent in June from VA and told plan on at least another month.
2 July 12 - Informed AFPC will request all of June's packages to be resent and to give it another 4-6 weeks until they receive the packages and another 3-4 for AFPC to complete their portion
3 July 12 - Called VA and asked for them to resend the package and was informed that AFPC can pull my case off of the "Safe" system and review it electronically and they do not need to wait for the hard copy sent in Snail Mail.
9 July 12 - Had to wait to have PEBLO call AFPC due to Holiday long weekend...Had them call and informed them to pull it off the "Safe" system and that I wanted a hard date on when they would be done with it. Have AFPC comfirm they would finish it NLT 13 July 12.
13 July 12 - Stopped by PEBLO office to get results...NOTHING!!!! Had them call AFPC and of course they stated they didn't remember stating they would do it....asked for Supervisor's name and number. Did not get it from case worker but was told my package would be here on Hickam on Monday the 16th July.
16 July 12 - Stopped in again...STILL NOTHING!!! Called AFPC, case worker was out of office on leave. Called another case worker to get status update and supervisors name/number.
16 July 12 - Called supervisor, she was checking into it and said we would have it tomorrow
16 July 12 - HIT 21 YEARS IN MILITARY
17 July 12 - Stopped in again...STILL NOTHING!!! Called AFPC supervisor and was informed I would have it within the hour.
17 July 12 - FINALLY HERE!!!!
17 July 12 - Signed package, asked what day I want to sign out of base, said I wanted to sign out for Leave/House hunting on 8 Aug. PEBLO put that date on work sheet.
24 July 12 - Received Retirement orders....had a problem, showed me outprocessing on 8 Aug and my retirement date of 9 Aug. YIKES!!!!
30 July 12 - Had to type up DOS request change from 8 Aug to 28 Oct so I can take leave,etc showing I was misinformed on what date to put down and that I do want to take all my leave,etc.
31 July 12 - Finally received correct orders. DOS 28 Oct 12 and retired on 29 Oct 12. THANK GOD!
1 Aug 12 - Started outprocessing....for those in Hawaii I would recommend you talke with family support now and get signed up for the pre-departure brief (NOT the same as TAP). Need that before you can leave base. PITA.

I will be outprocessing the next week and final out on 8 Aug. I will keep everyone updated on any changes,etc.

A few things I have had to learn the hard way.
Always find out WHO has your case if that means bugging PEBLO/AFPC everydate so be it.
Get AFPC to send a email with a date they will finish.
Ask PEBLO for a copy of your "cover sheet" to your package...states what has been done with your case and dates.
Keep your own records of who you have talked with when. Might need it if you are talking with a supervisor at AFPC.
Never settle for comments like "we have 295 days before we can check on it", "they are back logged so give them time" If you hear AFPC has your package, ask...WHO at AFPC and have them call while you are in the office (which means you have to go early due to time difference)

I understand we all have to be somewhat flexible on what is going on and be understanding that AFPC/PEBLO/VA are all back up and it will take longer, however if you don't bug them and keep asking where it is at and what is the status no one will be looking at your case until "later"

Good luck to everyone and if you have questions or need email address/supervisor numbers let me know.

Hello everyone,
Ok I promised would give everyone an update as soon as I finished everything.

Latest and greatest....
I retired 8 Aug 12
Received retirement check 1 Nov 12
Received notice from VA that I will receive my first disability check 1 Feb 13....but it will only be 1 Month since DFAS will have to audition make sure I am allowed to receive both retirement and validating before I get my back pay. VA projected 6 months before I see that check.

So that is the latest update. I wish everyone a smooth transition with their MEB. It's a LONG painful road but when it is all said and done it will be worth it.

Good luck.

Oct 2011 - informed starting MEB
18 Nov 11 - Pending transfer to VA and input in VTA
01 Dec 11 - Briefed on MEB Process
14 Dec 11 - Called by VA to schedule appt
17 Dec - 14 Jan - VA appointments (5 appointments)
23 Jan 12 - VA exams received at Hickam for CC and Naritive
2 Feb 12 - Local MEB
3 Feb 12 - Reviewed the package
6 Feb 12 - Package sent to VA via FEDEX
5 Apr 12 - Asked to attend Congressional focus group on what I think of the IDES process and how to improve on it.
6 Apr 12 - I asked PEBLO for status update, notified awaiting VA results
29 May 12 - Was informed my VA rating was complete
6 June 12 - Checked to see status and rating info, informed no new info other than VA rating is done and was sent to AFPC
7 June 12 - Called VA MSR to find out VA ratings, told over phone what was proposed. Went in to see PEBLO and get a copy of VA ratings. Asked how long for AFPC to come back...told 3-4 weeks but NLT 7 July 2012.
20 June 12 - Stopped in to check status on case...nothing yet. Told AFPC is back logged and to give it time it will be in before 7 July. So I asked if they can call AFPC to get an update. They called and AFPC never received my case file.
22 June 12 - Called 1-800 VA number to find out status, was informed it was sent Snail Mail to AFPC on 6 June 12.
25 June 12 - Talked with PEBLO to have them call and ask for VA to resend package
29 June 12 - AFPC rep stated they still have not received any packages that had been sent in June from VA and told plan on at least another month.
2 July 12 - Informed AFPC will request all of June's packages to be resent and to give it another 4-6 weeks until they receive the packages and another 3-4 for AFPC to complete their portion
3 July 12 - Called VA and asked for them to resend the package and was informed that AFPC can pull my case off of the "Safe" system and review it electronically and they do not need to wait for the hard copy sent in Snail Mail.
9 July 12 - Had to wait to have PEBLO call AFPC due to Holiday long weekend...Had them call and informed them to pull it off the "Safe" system and that I wanted a hard date on when they would be done with it. Have AFPC comfirm they would finish it NLT 13 July 12.
13 July 12 - Stopped by PEBLO office to get results...NOTHING!!!! Had them call AFPC and of course they stated they didn't remember stating they would do it....asked for Supervisor's name and number. Did not get it from case worker but was told my package would be here on Hickam on Monday the 16th July.
16 July 12 - Stopped in again...STILL NOTHING!!! Called AFPC, case worker was out of office on leave. Called another case worker to get status update and supervisors name/number.
16 July 12 - Called supervisor, she was checking into it and said we would have it tomorrow
16 July 12 - HIT 21 YEARS IN MILITARY
17 July 12 - Stopped in again...STILL NOTHING!!! Called AFPC supervisor and was informed I would have it within the hour.
17 July 12 - FINALLY HERE!!!!
17 July 12 - Signed package, asked what day I want to sign out of base, said I wanted to sign out for Leave/House hunting on 8 Aug. PEBLO put that date on work sheet.
24 July 12 - Received Retirement orders....had a problem, showed me outprocessing on 8 Aug and my retirement date of 9 Aug. YIKES!!!!
30 July 12 - Had to type up DOS request change from 8 Aug to 28 Oct so I can take leave,etc showing I was misinformed on what date to put down and that I do want to take all my leave,etc.
31 July 12 - Finally received correct orders. DOS 28 Oct 12 and retired on 29 Oct 12. THANK GOD!
1 Aug 12 - Started outprocessing....for those in Hawaii I would recommend you talke with family support now and get signed up for the pre-departure brief (NOT the same as TAP). Need that before you can leave base. PITA.

I will be outprocessing the next week and final out on 8 Aug. I will keep everyone updated on any changes,etc.

A few things I have had to learn the hard way.
Always find out WHO has your case if that means bugging PEBLO/AFPC everydate so be it.
Get AFPC to send a email with a date they will finish.
Ask PEBLO for a copy of your "cover sheet" to your package...states what has been done with your case and dates.
Keep your own records of who you have talked with when. Might need it if you are talking with a supervisor at AFPC.
Never settle for comments like "we have 295 days before we can check on it", "they are back logged so give them time" If you hear AFPC has your package, ask...WHO at AFPC and have them call while you are in the office (which means you have to go early due to time difference)

I understand we all have to be somewhat flexible on what is going on and be understanding that AFPC/PEBLO/VA are all back up and it will take longer, however if you don't bug them and keep asking where it is at and what is the status no one will be looking at your case until "later"

Good luck to everyone and if you have questions or need email address/supervisor numbers let me know.

Thank-you for such a detailed timeline on your experience AND for the "words of advice". Well done!

Best of luck on your retirement!!!

V/r,
nwlivewire

Does it usually take that long to get paid from the VA or is it because you are over 20 years. I'm under the impression that is takes an average of 90 days but most of the time it is around 60 days. Can anyone add any more experience on VA payments.

Does it usually take that long to get paid from the VA or is it because you are over 20 years. I'm under the impression that is takes an average of 90 days but most of the time it is around 60 days. Can anyone add any more experience on VA payments.

I retired on PDRL from the IDES process in mid-APR 2012.

The VA finalized my proposed IDES ratings in very late JUN 2012.

VA notified DFAS in JUL.

DAS notified me of this in JUL & sent me a letter breaking down who would be paying me and how much money each one would pay me.

VA payments kicked in 01 AUG 2012, and DFAS adjusted my militay retirement pay to reflect the newly alloted VA Compensation (I have less than 20 years AD time so I am in an "off-set" mode).

BOTH agencies (DFAS & VA) were right in their figures - and accurate to the penny! I recieve all my VA and a little bit of my Army PDRL retirement.

So it took three full months (and a tad more) for everything to perculate through the systems of VA and DFAS.

And since then, everything has been right on time and to the penny correct as well.

V/r,
nwlivewire

im hearing in 2014 that you be allowed to collect both retirement and Va pay. does that mean even if you was medical retired and have less then 20 years of service/.

im hearing in 2014 that you be allowed to collect both retirement and Va pay. does that mean even if you was medical retired and have less then 20 years of service/.

I think that only applies to service members who are retired with 20 years active duty or those receiving non regular retirement at age 60.

I've seen proposals to include those who are medically retired with less than 20 but I haven't seen it in USC.

I hope I'm wrong.

-mac

I think that only applies to service members who are retired with 20 years active duty or those receiving non regular retirement at age 60.

I've seen proposals to include those who are medically retired with less than 20 but I haven't seen it in USC.

I hope I'm wrong.

-mac

So far, there has been no change to my VA/DFAS monthly payments (except for the COLA increases of course).

I have a NG 20-year retirement letter, but am not old enough to collect CRDP yet, so I am in an "off-set" mode.

I do not qualify for CRSC, so I need to be 59 1/2 years old to CRDP. For me and my situation, I can apply for CRDP at age 59 1/2 due to being credited with 6 months for earlier than age 60 retirement age based on 6 months mobilization time credit when I was transferred to a WTU.

DFAS DOES NOT have a record of my 20-year retirement letter and I have been told to SAFEGUARD my 20-year NG letter at all costs as I will need that letter at the time I apply for CRDP to prove to DFAS I can CRDP.

I was told that my mobilization time in the combat zone was before 28 JAN, 2008, so all my mobilization time prior to that time DOES NOT COUNT toward early retirement time.

HOWEVER, I have been told that ALL my Wounded Warrior WTU time after 28 JAN 2008 WILL count toward earlier than age 60 retirement time.

MOREOVER, I have been told that ALL my CB-WTU time WILL NOT COUNT either. ONLY my WTU time will count.

I think this is a real screwing to NG/Reservist Wounded Warriors who have or receive a 20-year NG/Reserve retirement letter while going through the IDES AND while on AD orders - that they CANNOT get credited for their CB-WTU time. ONLY their WTU time is credited for earlier than age 60 retirement- IF they have any WTU time that qualifies.

The whole reason for the CB-WTU was to get injured & mobilized NG/Reserve back to their families and support systems while in the injured category and under the IDES process.

Why is the Army/DoD ONLY crediting WTU time that primarily only positively affects only AD SMs and a very small percentage of NG/Reservists?

AD Soldiers who have familes and support systems and who live on/near their WTU posts and they get WTU time credits for early retirement? So why not all the NG/Reservists in a CB-WTU? CB-WTU falls under the WTU system - so why aren't they being given retirement time credit to be with their family/support systems, too?

Had I stayed up at the WTU for the FOUR YEARS I had to go through the IDES process, I would have been credited with FOUR YEARS early retirement credit and could CRDP right this minute! But I chose to CB-WTU to be with my Support system so I could get help and aid and assistance from my family - and now the DoD ONLY counts my WTU time and DOESN'T COUNT CB-WTU TIME?

How fair and equitable is THAT for NG/Reservists who have been injured and need help? Do they want the Army to be burdened with more work?

What kind of thanks is this for NG/Reserve wounded while on mobilization to the Army?

Just wondering........

ALL my time is broken down - to the day! - on my DD 214 that shows mob time, WTU time, & CB-WTU time.
And only the WTU time I spent AWAY from my support system in a WTU after 28 JAN 2008 will count towards the earlier than age 60 retirement time.

What gives with this crock of BS?

V/r,
nwlivewire

Sorry pal but all a reserve member is to them is "a liability that needs to be minimized". I've seen hundreds of guys and gals they just threw to the curb WITHOUT putting into the DES. I know it doesn't help but at least they processed you and you were retired.

I'm just getting back into the swing of things after some medical time off. More latter.

Sorry everyone been gone for a while....not sure how everything works for NG/Reserv so maybe Jason will shed some light on your cases.

Also something for all active to remember, the time delay will depend on where you are stationed and where the IDES/MEB/VA package gets sent to. I will track down the URL and post it showing where MOST people's packages get sent to as well as how long (average)it is taking the VA locations to review the packages.

My case may seem like a long time for some people but that is becoming the normally time frame for people out here in Hawaii. We have new case managers that are still trying to learn the process.

**** I have officially received both retirement and VA checks as of 1 Feb.**** 60% medical retirement and 80% VA disability comp.

Good luck everyone.