Using COAR to get to 20 years/CDRP

Justin4476

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Couple things: I'm a Guardsmen and I have almost 19 years of service. Today, I received my 199. 30% rating, so I'll be able to medically retire. I have 60% rating from the VA. My question is this: If I am able to get an approved COAR (my unit wants me to stay) and hit the 20 year mark, will that then qualify me for CDRP? I can't seem to get a straight answer for this. Thanks in advance.

The answer is "yes", but for reservists, you can't get both monies until age 60.

1. Sorry, I did not see your post yesterday. The answer you gave to your own question is accurate. I just posted the following for a CRDP case.

2. CRDP Requirements:
a. regular retirement with >=50% VA rating
b. Reserve retirement (20 good years) with >=50% VA rating AND meets age requirement (normally 60)
c. TERA retirement (somewhat uncommon now) with >=50% VA rating
d. Disability retirement but also qualifies for another retirement such 1a and 1b with >=50% VA rating—can receive CRDP @ time eligible to receive other retirement.

From DFAS:
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.
Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…
  • you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay [including age requirement].
Ron

Thanks for the response, Ron. I'm leaning heavily to filing a COAR to hit my 20 years, but you have to go through the MEB/PEB process again. I'm curious (if anyone knows) if that means it's the full-on process again or if the MEB/PEB essentially signs off on your paperwork if you didn't incur further damage.

Just noticed the OSU avatar. I'm an ISU alum/fan. Looking forward to the game Saturday!

Thanks for the response, Ron. I'm leaning heavily to filing a COAR to hit my 20 years, but you have to go through the MEB/PEB process again. I'm curious (if anyone knows) if that means it's the full-on process again or if the MEB/PEB essentially signs off on your paperwork if you didn't incur further damage.

Just noticed the OSU avatar. I'm an ISU alum/fan. Looking forward to the game Saturday!
Unfortunately, I cannot help with the COAR and MEB/PEB issues.

Yes, the game Saturday should be a good one. I received my college education while in the Army, but I am an OSU fan since I retired from the university some years ago (College of Engineering). I was involved with research proposal development.

Regards,
Ron