VA Caregiver Program

Laredo Jeff

Registered Member
I am trying to help the surviving spouse of a veteran who passed away due to pancreatic cancer. He was getting all care through the Audie Murphy VA in San Antonio. When he was diagnosed in 2017 he was told he had 3 months to live, he was bedridden, couldn’t work, he lived 17 months and his spouse was his care giver 24/7 during those 17 months as he progressively got worse. No one at the VA ever mentioned anything about this Care Giver program which would have helped them tremendously due to him losing all of his income and her having to stay home and take care of him. Can she file the paperwork with documentation from his doctors showing he was completely bedridden and she was his care giver and receive the money she would have been entitled to? I guess backpay. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
No thats not how it works if a claim was filed during that time then yes it could have been still pursued not sure if the caregiver works the same but a claim has to be in progress for any claim to paid via retro if granted posthumously.

Laredo Jeff

Registered Member
Thank you, I just don’t understand why no one at the VA would have mentioned this program to this couple when it was glaringly obvious that they were in need of it.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Not to plug things but that's a big advantage in being in the NGO groups like the ones in my signature line I learn a lot from fellow vets and almost all of them are Vietnam to my OEF.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">