VA found blast injuries after 5-17 discharge

Firecracker85

Registered Member
I joined in 2003 and was discharged in 2006. A lot of things happened in iraq but here are the basic rundown:

In the beginning:

I was in iraq for 11 months and 28 days

My camp was attacked in Sept 2006, our last three weeks in iraq, with several dozen 120mm mortars

The first one landed 25-30 feet from me and left a six foot hole in the ground.

I suddenly began sleepwalking after the attack, something that never happened - was over two years and 4 months into my 6-year contract.

I was getting counseling 19 days before the camp was attacked and continued until 16 after the attack(wanted to extend my deployment so my CDR sent me to mental health evaluation, the psychiatrist found nothing wrong with me but gave me sessions to try to understand why I wanted to stay in iraq - catch 22 kind of thing I guess)

I had no history of disciplinary action.

My room mate complained to my first sergeant that I was chronically sleepwalking after the attack and it was starting to freak her out.

17 days after the attack I was informed that I was to be discharged or sent to a psych ward. My CDR chose honorable discharge under 5-17.

I was never medevac'd after or during the attack. I only received tylenol from the troop clinic.

In the VA...

I registered for VA health care and waiting over two years on a waitlist (many were coming home in 2006 and it was already backlogged)

Two and a half years after my 5-17 discharge, The VA sends me to Tampa Polytrauma aned they found blast injuries in my body and my brain.

I have three damaged cranial nerves, a collapsed shoulder and a partially paralyzed arm that was considered a spinal cord injury.

It is believed that the damage to these nerve l;head to the sleepwalking because my brain had been damaged and the nerves in my spine that typically prevent sleepwalking were damaged as well.

I was told in 2017 to consider filing for retroactive retirement.

I am currently 100% P/T under VA (70%IU)

So what do you guys think?

Also I was " disapproved for purple heart", disapproved for TSGLI and received only 30 months of the montgomery GI Bill for 30 months and 12 days of honorable service. I received no severance pay and was 30 months into a six year contract.

90% of the time I always recommend no because I have seen them rarely do it, your case falls under the 10% that I think has a real shot. You are SURE your records state that those disabilities are from the blasts that occurred in Iraq? did your docs backdate most of your conditions to the deployed timeline? If so its time to find a pro bono counsel to represent your case to the BCMR or DRB if Army. The few that won a retroactive retirement here had almost identical stories as yours 1 Confirmed injury in combat 2 Admin discharge instead of a MEB following deployment 3 VA ratings for combat disabilities. I strongly encourage you to pursue this: peblawyer.com or nvlsp.com can really help.

Thanks so much. I've been working with 4th infantry generals office, my senator and Congress. My congressman said if they can't fix my records they are considering having a hearing. My records state that I was complaining of a specific pain in my shoulder and numbness and tingling in my hands and face. I was given Tylenol. It was found by the VA that the spinal nerve in my arm was torn apart. I have three witness statement from former officers that served with me, one of whom witnessed my injury and chronic pain and stated that he watched the doctors ignore it. The headaches I complained of includes to other cranial nerves damaged. My inner ear nerve operates at 29% on the left side. I just saw a new trauma doc and she found the same problem (this was last week). Everyone I go to doesn't take federal cases so I'm totally lost. I'll contact the ones you gave me, thank you! And yes my medical records are consistent from the symptoms recorded in 2006 to the discovery of the injury in 2009. I think with Congress, the general of 4th infantry, my senator and my former commanders we have a shot but I need someone to take the case. The new VA location I'm at now is reviewing everything and I've got a meeting with neuro and sleep clinic in the next month. Would love someone to help gather the right info and maybe talk to these docs.

And to answer your question, yes the doctors at Tampa poly trauma (military/VA hospital) stated that my injuries could have only been caused by a "significant blast" and the doctor declares in my records that they are forensically consistent with the described incident (the mortar attack, the distance from the impact sight, the size of the mortar) and the gave me 30% straight off the bat then 100% 18 months after that.