VA lowering rated condition used for PDRL. Outcome?

NDBK

Registered Member
Good morning,

Been searching through the forum and couldn't find this one. I am on PDRL for one condition rated at 40%. I have been on PDRL for 5 years now. The VA is currently reevaluating my conditions. If the VA rates this one condition below 30% will that effectively end my PDRL status opening up a whole another can of worms? Thanks for your input.

-NDBK

NDBK

Registered Member
LOL. Thank you for putting me out of my misery.

This site is an awesome collection of information.

Thanks Ron!

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Thank you. That was one of the few features of the disability retirement system that I know.
I visit to do CRSC computations...I am not a CH 61 retiree.

Ron

NDBK

Registered Member
Ron,

Since I have you on the line, can you help me out with one more question?

Is there a cap on how much $ you can get from CRSC?

Additional information:

Current percentage: PTSD 50% approved CRSC = $656.00

I was an E-6 with 8 years and 9 months.

I also have a rating for: right sided articular disc disorder reducing with bruxism and masticatory myofascial pain (claimed as temporomandibular joint disorder) at 20%

This is referenced in my CRSC approved % labeled as: posttraumatic stress disorder (with bruxism & masticatory myofascial pain) (also claimed as panic disorder with out agoraphobia)

If I submit this to the CRSC board and they approve it, will this increase my monthly payment?

Part of a letter I received from the board is below. From the way I read it, it sounds like I'm maxed out. Am I reading this correctly?

IS receiving Special Monthly Compensation (SMC).
SMC Code 01 is combat related and is effective 01 Mar 2016.
3. DFAS will continue to pay you the monthly CRSC benefit at 50% plus
SMC Code 01 ($656.00—capped at gross Years of Service (YOS) retired
pay). CRSC pay cannot exceed what would have been your YOS retired
pay based upon eight years and nine months of service. CRSC payments
will be made in the same manner as your retired pay.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
IS receiving Special Monthly Compensation (SMC).
SMC Code 01 is combat related and is effective 01 Mar 2016.
3. DFAS will continue to pay you the monthly CRSC benefit at 50% plus
SMC Code 01 ($656.00—capped at gross Years of Service (YOS) retired
pay). CRSC pay cannot exceed what would have been your YOS retired
pay based upon eight years and nine months of service. CRSC payments
will be made in the same manner as your retired pay.
CRSC for a disability retiree with less than 20 years AD time:

1. Cannot exceed the longevity portion or retired pay.
Your service said the same: "CRSC pay cannot exceed what would have been your YOS retired pay based on..."

2. There are other ceilings but the ceiling that is pertinent is shown at my item one.

3. It will never increase except by COLA increases.

4. It can decrease. If your VA ratings decrease including those considered combat related, your CRSC could be less than the longevity amount that you now receive.

5. Generally, CRSC for a CH 61 retiree with less than 20 years AD will be the lesser of
a. the longevity portion of retired pay
OR
b. The amount associated with the CRSC percentage approved (using VA compensation tables)

Ron

Last edited:

NDBK

Registered Member
Ron,

Thanks for your help but, its still not sinking in. Must be the meds.

My CH 61 retirement amount is $1306.00 and at 50% CRSC, I am getting 706.00. That 656.00 amount was from 2016.

So, from what you are saying, there is no way to increase this $706.00? Even if they increase my CRSC % or add another disability to it that will increase the %? Because the service has a cap related to the longevity portion of retired pay?

Thanks again for the clarification. I am confused by the longevity portion of retired pay part.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @NDBK ,

I understand; thank you. I believe the current CRSC of 706 is 656 increased by COLAs since it was first paid in 2016.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: According to law, members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code must have the CRSC entitlement limited to an amount that when combined with any military retired pay remaining after offset for VA disability compensation will not exceed the retired pay they would otherwise be entitled to for retirement computed for years of service (i.e., 2 1/2 percent x years of service x pay base). [longevity portion of retired pay]

The longevity portion of your retired pay:
Total active duty years and months x 2.5% x average high three base pay = longevity portion of retired pay

Using info available.
In 2016, your longevity multiplier was determined to be: 8.75 AD years x 2.5% = 21.9%
The high three is unknown, but 656 is 21.9% of the unknown number
656/21.9% = ~2995 high three
Proof: 2995 x 21.9% = ~656 longevity portion of retirement in 2016
However: I do not know if you are receiving residual retired pay (left over from the VA waiver/reduction). That would change my computation since the combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. See special rule above.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">