VA Rating Help Needed

DarkRavenZ

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you in advance. First time posting on a Forum:

Questions regarding my C&P exams:
1. For Behavioral Health - Will changing the diagnosis for Behavioral Health hurt or benefit me? My symptoms have gotten worse.
2. For Behavioral Health - What does “This is a progression from the previous diagnosis” really mean?
3. Can Anyone talk a second look to see what my ratings would be below on all my conditions?
4. For my feet problems, are they going to rate me separately for each condition? Or combine all the foot conditions into one rating?

I currently have the following VA ratings:
1. 70% Behavioral Health – Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood
2. 10% Degenerative Arthritis – Hip
3. 0% Residual Stress injury mid to proximal 1st & 2nd metatarsals (Right Foot) - not enough evidence at the time.

NOTE: All my Feet problems are now covered (5 year fight...whew) under a LINE OF DUTY IN A COMBAT WAR ZONE

I was found unfit for duty for the following:

1. Behavioral Health (secondary to Feet Injury) The VA C&P examiner stated “This is a progression from the previous diagnosis” and changed my current C&P diagnosis from (Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood, ICD code: F43.21) to (Major Depressive Disorder with anxious Distress, ICD code: F33.1 Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent, moderate) and stated to me that my percentage would not change. Not sure why she stated that as I did not ask. Even though the box was checked for 30% (Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work), I still received a 70% rating in 2016. I wonder if they factored in other behavioral health problems.

2. Metatarsalgia/ Code 5279 (Left Foot) ICD Code: and M77.42, Moderate-severe pain on palpation to plantar left 2nd MTPJ with severe pain on ROM of 2nd MTPJ

3. Foot Injury: Residuals, stress injury right 1st and 2nd metatarsals (Right Foot) ICD Code: S93.301S, Moderate pain on palpation to dorsal right 2,3 metatarsal bases with pain on met-cuneiform joint
Functional loss and limitation of motion of Foot Injury:
Contributing factors of disability (check all that apply and indicate side affected):
[X] Weakened movement (due to muscle injury, disease or injury of peripheral nerves, divided or lengthened tendons, etc.) [X] Both
[X] Pain on movement [X] Both
[X] Pain on weight-bearing [X] Both
[X] Pain on non-weight-bearing [X] Both
[X] Swelling [X] Both
[X] Disturbance of locomotion [X] Both
[X] Lack of endurance [X] Both

4. Plantar fasciitis, ICD Code: M72.2 (Both Feet) Moderate pain on palpation to bilateral medial calcaneal tubercle and right medial/central band of the plantar fascia from proximal insertion to mid arch
Functional impact of Plantar Fasciitis:
Decreased mobility
Decreased standing
Is there evidence of pain on passive range of motion testing? Yes - Both
Is there evidence of pain when the joint is used in non-weight bearing? Yes- Both

5. Foot - Other diagnosis: Extensor brevis tendonitis/ Code 5310, (Left Foot) ICD code: S96.112S, Moderate-severe to left extensor digitorum brevis muscle belly and base of the 4th metatarsal with moderate pain on ROM 4th met-cuboid joint

6. Bilateral Lower Extremity Idiopathic Peripheral Neuropathy/ Code 8524, ICD code: G90.8 (both feet)
Internal popliteal (tibial) nerve, Incomplete, Mild Paralysis
Posterior tibial nerve, Incomplete, Mild Paralysis

7. Lumbar degenerative disc disease/ Code 5003, ICD code: M51.36, ROM 225
Mild to moderate degree of pain
Abnormal or outside of normal range
May be limited with longer standing, walking, repetitive bending/lifting over 15-20 pounds

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The specific MH diagnosis rarely matters. When MH symptoms increase compensation often increases.

In MH, practitioners are sometimes reticent to ascribe certain diagnoses to early. Adjustment disorder is often used early in the process. If the symptoms resolve, then the diagnosis does little hard to employability in critical career fields. Other diagnoses require symptoms to persist before being assigned. From a VA $ perspective the diagnosis matters little. A correct diagnosis is extremely important to proper medication and/or therapy.

DarkRavenZ

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi Sir,
Thank you for the reply. MH is understood. I was unclear if it would increase or decrease since my symptoms got worse. Yes, unemployability plays a huge part in both my Mental Health and my feet. I have been prescribed several medications, however they do not react well with me (side effects). The VA is aware of this. I have been complaining to the VA since 2012 about all the problems with my feet. Until I entered MEB/PEB process, the VA finally coded everything correctly and MEB put in the claims for me for the very first time. So the VA has 6 years of feet history, MRI's, xrays, medications, etc.

Just wondering if I would at least get 10% on my feet?
I was also curious if the PEB would carry over the current VA rating as it would be nice to at least get 30% DOD retirement?
Does the PEB usually concur with the MEB NARSUM? Meaning if I have 70% right now with the VA just for Mental Health, what are your thoughts about what retirement I would receive with my feet included?

10years 4 months/ E4 Rank
Thank you again for your wise wisdom.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">