VA rating, now what

I am an Army reservist. I just got my VA rating of 40%. 30 applies to unfit for military due to NARSUM. Should be a simple process from now on. How long do you think I have before the retirement pay and tri-care eligibility starts?

I am not familiar with the processes you will experience, but I can offer some info regarding payments.

1. The basic retirement formula is:

Retired Pay Base X Multiplier %
The retired pay base for a qualified disability retirement is determined under either the final pay method or the high-36 month method depending upon when they first entered military service.

The multiplier percentage is at the option of the member who may chose either the percentage of disability assigned or the years of creditable service times 2½%. In either case, the multiplier is limited to 75% by law.
In the case of a member on the TDRL, the minimum percentage is 50% while on the TDRL.

2. As a disability retiree you will waive/lose retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Approved CRSC could replace some or all of the waived retired pay. You can download CRSC info at LINK: Supplement to CRSC Information

Ron

Last edited:
I was given separation pay for being passed over 2 times. They have been recouping that payment by withholding my VA money. Will my medical retired pay be recouped as well until paid off?

I was given separation pay for being passed over 2 times. They have been recouping that payment by withholding my VA money. Will my medical retired pay be recouped as well until paid off?
Per the DFAS: Congress allows DFAS to pay military members either a separation bonus or retirement pay for their period of service. If a member has received a separation payment, and then becomes eligible to receive retirement pay for the same period of service, he or she will be required to repay the separation pay before the full retirement benefit can be restored.

It is my understanding the maximum recoupment is 40% each month.
DFAS:

“If the VA is also collecting for separation pay, we will deduct your VA award from your gross retired pay, and then withhold 40 percent of that amount for recoupment purposes. Additionally, you may send us any documentation reflecting the amount collected from the VA. We will coordinate with them to avoid over-collection.”

Ron

Thanks for your time thus far. I am wondering how I can find out how much has been recouped

Thanks for your time thus far. I am wondering how I can find out how much has been recouped
You can call the Debt Management Center.

Normal business hours are Monday through Friday from 6:30a.m. to 8:00p.m(CT). We experience our highest call volumes on Mondays and throughout the first week of each month. The best time to call us is Tuesday through Thursday between 10:30a.m. to 12:15p.m. and 1:15p.m. to 3:30p.m. (Central). We have added staff and telephone lines to handle your call.

Our Toll free number is 1-800-827-0648, for international callers 1-612-713-6415

Ron